Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Looks like ATF is now heading after toy guns:

ATF seizes 30 toy guns, infuriating local business owner

CORNELIUS, Ore. - A local business owner is flabbergasted after a shipment of 30 toy guns for his store was confiscated by ATF agents in Tacoma.

Brad Martin and his son, Ben, sell the Airsoft BB guns from their store in Cornelius where they’ve been in business for seven years.

The Martins said they buy their stock from Taiwan because the merchandise is less expensive. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized a shipment of 30 in October. That shipment is worth around $12,000 and the ATF is promising to destroy the entire shipment.

Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

Brad Martin is furious about the loss of money, for sure, but also in what he now thinks as a loss of his time and the use of government agents to seize toy guns.

"All this manpower, all this time, all this taxpayer money, [it is] wasting my time and my profitability,” Martin said. “[Just] to seize 30 toy guns!"

Ben Martin disagrees that the toy guns could ever be considered dangerous.

"To say these are readily convertible to machine guns is absolutely preposterous,” he said. “The round wouldn't go into the firing chamber and even if the firing pin did strike the primer the gun would basically blow up in your face.”

ATF said it also seized the toys because they are missing the blaze orange tips required on all imported toy guns.

The Martins said they've received shipments before from Taiwan that were missing the orange tips and were simply asked by customs agents to drive up to Tacoma and paint the tips orange themselves. They are wondering why it is an issue now.

Wonder if they are basically calling the airsoft's parts kits? But, really, retrofitted to machine guns?! Oh, man.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I am going to school for criminal justice, and one of my professors told me I should consider the ATF as a possible career. I didn't really answer, all the while thinking no, I will never work for an un American organization such as that. I really think that a gaping hole needs to swallow the ATF so that it will never operate again.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    must be nice airsoft guns. well built to fire actual firearm rounds out of them with minimal work. they would also approx. cost 400 dollars a piece. i would like to see one and until then this sound like FUBAR! another tax payer funded romp for the ATF. whats next, snowballs?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Now that toy guns are NFA weapons, fake cans (GSG-5SD) are real noise supressors, shoe strings being NFA items, not to mention all the rules being changed base on how someone feels at the moment, I think it is passed time that the "F" be removed from ATF and E.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    having owned many airsoft guns of every type(single shot, gas, electric full auto) I can honestly say there really is no way to convert them to a machine gun. the only ones might might even come close with full metal bodys and such are already in the price range of higher end real guns. they don't use ANY internal parts that a real gun would (I.E trigger pack) either.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    must be nice airsoft guns. well built to fire actual firearm rounds out of them with minimal work. they would also approx. cost 400 dollars a piece. i would like to see one and until then this sound like FUBAR! another tax payer funded romp for the ATF. whats next, snowballs?

I have an m-4 airsoft that cost $500 and it in no way could even begin to think about having something real put down the barrel.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I am going to school for criminal justice, and one of my professors told me I should consider the ATF as a possible career. I didn't really answer, all the while thinking no, I will never work for an un American organization such as that. I really think that a gaping hole needs to swallow the ATF so that it will never operate again.

I agree with your professor, but a different reason. We sorely need sensible "pro-gun" people working in the ATF so that these ridiculous things stop happening. Most of the people are so anti-gun that they now believe a toy gun could be turned into a real gun. That's sad to me.

"If good men choose not to govern, others will."

If you are in a position to consider it, you should. You might honestly be able to do some real good for this country in a position like that.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

Who the H E double hockey sticks told this clown that was even possible?

I bet he saw a faked youtube video of some 14 year old who said
    he could fit AK rounds in his airsoft and believed it.

BTW I can easily convert my Chevy Silverado into an Abrams tank
    and once I pick up that potato cannon from ArmyMP I'll retrofit
    that as well into the 120mm main gun.
    :rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Looks like ATF is now heading after toy guns:

ATF seizes 30 toy guns, infuriating local business owner

Wonder if they are basically calling the airsoft's parts kits? But, really, retrofitted to machine guns?! Oh, man.

How will the boys of BATF**K Troop get outta this mess?!

STAY TUNED AND FIND OUT!

:rolleyes:

Seriously???

I mean, seriously?

F***ing SERIOUSLY?

Good job, boys. Now the streets are safe from those wannabe hoodlum toddler gangsters. Great work.
    Roll out the carpets for the inaugural group of freedom-fighters...
    The ATF, hard at work fighting YOUR freedoms.

*slow clap*

Bravi, bravi; bravissimi!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    David Codrea, the National Gun Rights Examiner had this story, too. He points out a few things that make you go hmmm....when you're not raging at the absolute stupidity that is the BATFU. There's also a video that shows an idtiot...'scuse me...agent inserting the airsoft magazine backwards. :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEuTwYALho]YouTube - AONW & the Tacoma Machine Gun Seizure[/ame]

Really, now. They trust these morons to walk around armed and pass judgment on us? :xmad:

eirish2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an m-4 airsoft that cost $500 and it in no way could even begin to think about having something real put down the barrel.

Could you possibly use the airsofts lower with a real upper?

PGC Colt M4A1 CNC Lower Receiver for Systema PTW

file_101_13.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The ATF, SHOULD be a convience store, NOT a Govt. agency.....:laugh:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Well, I think I have seen it all now. Someone at the BATFE has to realize all the negative publicity this brings to thier "organization", not to mention the loss of credibility with the public, especially gun owners. But, I guess that's something they never considered in the past, why start now? Positioning yourself as an enemy to the common man is an interesting tactic to take for a government organization.

I wonder if they received any assistance from local law enforcers.

Top Bottom