• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    A little known and poorly understood piece of legislation has been winding its way through the bowels of ATF's review process and is about to be excreted, er, foisted upon the lawful firearms owning community. I am referring to the Safe Explosives Act.

One can assume that this is yet another part of the knee-jerk reactions to explosives potential that has occurred since 9/11. After review by ATF counsel and more review with various other internal experts, the other shoe is getting ready to drop. In a nutshell, this act seeks to harmonize regulation of the purchase, handling, storage and use of materials defined as explosives. Knowing that the devil is in the details, the part that will cause us the most issue is the definition of explosive. The ATF did agree to form an exploratory committee that included input from various organizations to provide guidance and counsel on how that definition should be written. After all, not even the Army and Navy can agree on what they consider to be explosives, so folks knew that it could be problematic. The committee was never formed, the input was never sought and it certainly wasn't received, and we learned a short time ago that ATF is "ready to publish and move forward" with it's regulatory findings.

All folks that have, handle, buy, sell, use, etc. explosives will be required to have, at minimum, a Handler's FFL. Further, an approved magazine must be used to store all explosives and that magazine must be inspected at least once per year. So what are those explosives?

Anything greater than .50 caliber. And that includes .50 BMG (it is .510 diameter), chalk rounds for grenades (even though they are propelled with what is a .38), and just about every safari caliber. Further, the ATF has indicated that the weapons that fire such explosives will now become DD's (destructive devices), requiring NFA registration. One can only assume that shotguns will still receive their ongoing exemptions from this silliness. Nobody has talked about how the very wealthy and affluent safari hunters will be able to transport their .600 Nitro rifles and ammo in the bellies of FAA regulated air transport. Nobody is considering that everyone who currently has a few boxes of .50 BMG will now have to get a license and a storage magazine... and then be able to go buy all the 4 inch fireworks mortars they want...

This one appears to be real. And the ATF appears to be bound and determined to proceed on their own path with zero outside influence.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Forsee that since the vast majority of "gun owners" stay under the .50 caliber that this issue if passed by ATF will become...
    :tumbleweed:

Here we have another example of another nail driven into the coffin and in 1 generation our kids will think it "normal" for this new reg to be in place. :faint:

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

INGO Open Carry Cigar Night is on 19 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...en_carry_cigar_night_aug_19_schererville.html

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 OR 19 SEP 10 (go vote!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...590-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    What about real black powder? I have about four pounds of black powder. I am a Civil War reenactor and I easily go through a pound making blanks for an event. Black powder is getting harder to find anyway. My unit has resorted to buying it in 25 pound batches and distributing it to the members in our unit. Reproduction cannons will fire from a half pound to a pound on every shot. Those guys use a lot of black powder just for blanks.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    What about real black powder? I have about four pounds of black powder. I am a Civil War reenactor and I easily go through a pound making blanks for an event. Black powder is getting harder to find anyway. My unit has resorted to buying it in 25 pound batches and distributing it to the members in our unit. Reproduction cannons will fire from a half pound to a pound on every shot. Those guys use a lot of black powder just for blanks.
    IMO, if thier looking to "ban" the 50 BMG ( a center fire cartaridge) i dont see why they wouldnt think 25lbs of black powder is just as EVIL :dunno:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    they are using backchannel options to eventualy take away our guns. this corrupt and oppressive anti-american organization must be disbanded. time to get on the phones again to my elitest minded representatives. i feel eventualy they will require me to bow to their greatness before i can address them.

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    soooo stupid i'd really love to get a 50 cal barrett in the future but since each round can blow up a building and i'd have to get some dumba$$ license to own it i better be able to buy grenades, semtex, AT-4's and fully operational tanks with the same license. but the alphabet boys won't allow that

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It looks like they'd like to try and classify everything above it as an explosive, as I read it. Whether the .50 is included is possibly on the table. The rich kids may decide to sell .50 owners down the river if they get to keep their Weatherby's and Holland and Hollands, with a stamp or registry. This one bears watching.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    12 gauge is larger than 50 cal....just sayin.

:+1: That was exactly what I was thinking. Second thought was "Why?" The BATFs sole purpose in regards to firearms should be keeping guns from being used in crime, if that. When was the last time a caliber (shotgun slugs not included) larger than .50 used in a crime?

Centerfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    NFATCA

breaking news Recently, the NFATCA took the lead on an issue that could have far-reaching consequences in the NFA and Sporting communities. It was learned that ATF was seeking to create a definition of small arms ammunition under the aegis of the Safe Explosives Act. The definition was being created as an opinion letter and had no input from the firearms community. More importantly, it could have arrived as a declaration that all ammunition above .50 caliber would now be classified as an explosive. New licensing, regulation, administration and the prospect of re-classifying all weapons that used these new explosives were a very real possibility. The fact that this was "flying under the radar" of traditional firearms advocacy groups was troubling, to say the least.
    John Brown, NFATCA's President, arranged for a meeting with Acting Director Melson and his senior staff on November 19, 2010. Invitees to the meeting included senior officials from the NRA, SAAMI, Safari Club International and the NSSF.The prospects for calamity were reviewed and Mr. Melson agreed to assemble a working group, led by NFATCA, to make certain that "we get this right". Check back for regular updates.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    No, the BATFE's sole purpose and reason for being implemented by the Treasury Department was too regulate inter-state commerce involving alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and of late explosives. With this it was given the power to collect a tax for certain items it was empowered to regulate when those items were transferred between one State to another... This matter shouldn't be taken lightly as it will only add to more screwed up regulation and probably added taxes of some sort if we close a blind eye... These things normally regulate ownership or usage of a device or class of items out of the reach for us Free shooters (citizens) to use such items. This would also probably directly effect what ever small business base that would have or is in business currently dealing with the effected devices or items and will only help too slow our economy more, and lower available free market jobs availability through more regulation. Just noting the 50 cal users being possibly effected, and if it were to drop into the 12 gauge ammo arena it would be a whole lot of hurt on the American sportsman especially in Indiana... Why would they want such a thing as they already regulate every caliber bigger than 50 cal in a non-black powder firearm... Sorry for the rant but it's my .02 cents worth... You know over the last couple years the firearms industry in the US has had to be one of the only growing industries in the market and continues to grow with new jobs and more revenue generated than any other industry in the country, why would we want to stomp on that ???????

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ATF lawyers and rule makers are always working on stuff like this, the smokeless propellant taggants and micro numbering snake oil from the past, it keeps them employed.

Top Bottom