• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Seen an ATI 1911, looked nice, good price. But what about quality? Guy behind the counter told me some guys are using these in competition shoots. I know entry level 1911s has been discussed numerous times, but I couldn't really find anything on ATIs. What do the guys here at INGO have to say...thanks all :ingo:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you plan on buying one than also plan on spending more money on it on real steel parts inside.
    IF IF IF you shoot more than average you'll definitely be spending more on a rebuild very soon.
    IF you plan on taking it to the range and shooting a box a month it will do you fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seen an ATI 1911, looked nice, good price. But what about quality? Guy behind the counter told me some guys are using these in competition shoots. I know entry level 1911s has been discussed numerous times, but I couldn't really find anything on ATIs. What do the guys here at INGO have to say...thanks all :ingo:

Just as halfmile stated.......casual shooter....go for it but do not set your expectations high.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I think the best bang for the buck out there right now is the Ruger SR1911. They can be had for around $650 new.
    Watch for Black Friday sales on Grabagun and some other on-line stores.
    WTB got one for like $579 last year.

If ATI was a great entry 1911, you would see a lot more chatter about it.
    It's probably on-par with RIA, which are fine if they don't fall apart while shooting... :rolleyes:

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    +1 on the Ruger SR1911. It is a good, solid choice for an entry 1911. And you can find some really good buys on them out there. That Night Watchman keeps tempting me.

Of course I must admit that I am partial to the Springfield 1911's myself. I just haven't found one of them I don't like.

1911's are GREAT guns. IMHO, they are the gold standard that I compare all my others against. I originally was a skeptic. But the first time I shot one, I put every round thru the center hole. It quite simply is the most natural shooter I have ever held. Unfortunately they do tend to be a more expensive gun than polymers. My advice would be to buy a good one and live happily ever after.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Just know going in that even if you buy entry level,, THEY MULTIPLY!!!

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've been thinking about getting one, or one of the many other sub 500 1911's as well. From what I gather it is a bit of a "get what you pay for" situation. Personally I'm fine with getting one knowing that it will probably require maintenance and what not. Good learning platform on how to maintain, repair, customize, etc. a 1911 style handgun.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've been thinking about getting one, or one of the many other sub 500 1911's as well. From what I gather it is a bit of a "get what you pay for" situation. Personally I'm fine with getting one knowing that it will probably require maintenance and what not. Good learning platform on how to maintain, repair, customize, etc. a 1911 style handgun.

Take a look at the Taurus 1911 and the PARA single stack 1911's too.
    I had a PARA I got in a trade deal, shot it, and liked it quite a bit.
    The PARA had a pretty slick frame to slide fit and the barrel lockup wasn't bad either.

Here's a Para commander for $479.99
    http://www.cdnnsports.com/para-ordnance-1911-45acp-4-25-expert-cmdr-2-8rd.html#.Vjq1_7erQuU

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Do not put a lot of effort into modifying an Island gun. You may be disappointed. Most do not respond well to accepting aftermarket parts.
    The spec is allover the place with them.

Just save up another $150 and find a good Springer/Ruger/Remington/or even an older Para mil spec. The Para being my absolute last choice and no offense to the many who own and love them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A lot of the price difference in 1911s comes in the form of QC. Any manufacturer can produce a nicely functioning 1911 and any can produce a problematic one. Part of the difference in cost is how much effort the manufacturer puts into making sure it works correctly and is reliable long term. Sure, there's a world of difference in materials too. A lot of manufacturers with weak QC provide a very good warranty to lessen the risk of a lemon or at least to keep a favorable rating. That's not a bad thing, as it makes a low end 1911 less risky than if it had crappy warranty service. As you climb the price scale, the guns tend to run better over all because the tweaks are done at the factory before delivery and not by the warranty department after delivery. The truth is, a lot of the low end 1911s feel more like the original WWII guns than the higher end ones do. The originals were not finely tuned, tight tack drivers. They were mass produced and rather loose, but they worked well. Folks would scream bloody murder if they bought a 1911 today that had the tooling marks found on my 1944 dated Remington Rand.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have about 600 rounds through my ATI Commander 1911. I carry it every day. It feeds anything and functions great. The internal components are actually hand fitted and polished. The beavertail is blended perfectly. I can't complain for 314 OTD. As for the internals needing to be replaced. I see no reason unless something breaks. But I see no change in any part over the past 600 rounds. Just normal wear on the rails and barrel hood from cycling.

I say if it is for a good price go for it. People talk crap about any brand.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Take a look at the Taurus 1911 and the PARA single stack 1911's too.
    I had a PARA I got in a trade deal, shot it, and liked it quite a bit.
    The PARA had a pretty slick frame to slide fit and the barrel lockup wasn't bad either.

I've thought about getting a Para, but I thought they have recently been purchased by Remington... which if Marlin was an example of is a bad thing.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Thanks for all the replys guys...may pick one up and see what happens. I have plenty of handguns to shoot, and I like to spread the live between them. I'm gonna research them more and see what I find. Thanks again guys

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have about 600 rounds through my ATI Commander 1911. I carry it every day. It feeds anything and functions great. The internal components are actually hand fitted and polished. The beavertail is blended perfectly. I can't complain for 314 OTD. As for the internals needing to be replaced. I see no reason unless something breaks. But I see no change in any part over the past 600 rounds. Just normal wear on the rails and barrel hood from cycling.

I say if it is for a good price go for it. People talk crap about any brand.

Not talking beyond personal experience and the expectations I have for a 1911.
    If you trust yours to EDC that is a decision you are comfortable with.
    I have seen an improvement in some of the economy offerings lately. Fit/finish etc.
    If you get into enough of them it might change your mind. Might not.

How do you know the internals are "Hand Fit"...................................:dunno:
    This is a labor intensive process and you will not get it with an economy offering.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    How do you know the internals are "Hand Fit"...................................:dunno:

All the 1911's I shot had hand fit parts...I know because I fit them back in by hand. :p

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know they are hand fit because I detail stripped it down to bare frame when I got it.

I do this as well to every 1911 I get. All the parts are installed by hand on most every pistol.
    To truly hand fit a 1911 takes a lot of time. I do it a lot. I am building 2 for myself right now and have hours in each one. There is no way this is done beyond assembly line tolerance at that price point.
    Heck, Springer/Ruger/Colt just to name a few do not do this beyond custom shop guns. This is why I do it myself and the differences are obvious.

Do not mis-understand my opinion of the off shore 1911's. Own-em and run-em all you want. Your choice. Just know they are exactly what they are. No more.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I was surprised myself when I detail stripped the gun. The disconnector, thumb safety, and fire control parts all had polished contact points.

Top Bottom