• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm considering heading out to Atterbury next weekend (weather permitting as always), not so much to go after squirrels this time as to scout out the area for the early rabbit season. According to the rules on the DNR web site:

Permission to hunt during the day on Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area must be obtained before entering the field. Daily hunt permit cards must be in possession of the hunter and recorded through established self service procedures outlined at the checking station. Self-service drop boxes are located on the property for your convenience.
    So, in addition to my hunting license, I need a "Daily hunt permit card" from Atterbury. Question: where is this "checking station"? Is that the headquarters listed on the map I downloaded or (since it refers to "self service procedures") are those self-service drop boxes what is meant?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So, in addition to my hunting license, I need a "Daily hunt permit card" from Atterbury. Question: where is this "checking station"? Is that the headquarters listed on the map I downloaded or (since it refers to "self service procedures") are those self-service drop boxes what is meant?

I have not been to Atterbury, but this applies to how the system works at all the other state properties I have been to:

The Check-In station is essentially a cupboard. Normally they are painted yellow or something else that really stands out, and will have some big black lettering to the effect of "Hunter Check In." Normally they are 6' tall 4' wide and have two swinging doors. Inside there will be a property map that may be broken into different hunting "zones" designated by number. They want to know how many you see, wound, and retrieve, and they want to know where on the property this occurs. There will also be a clipboard inside the cupboard that has boxes where you have to put your name and address. Then they have these little cards (one type for waterfowl and one type for everything else, so be sure to look at the one you get) that you keep with you during the hunt. When finished, fill out the info (#seen, wounded, retrieved, area hunted, name, etc) and drop it at any box.

HQ will have a Check-In station, normally outside the building. There may be check in stations located elsewhere on the grounds, depending on the property. Eg. Monroe Lake has several check in spots due to the size of the property. You do not have to return the card to the box you picked it up from, any box on that property is fine.

I just reread your post and realized that you probably know most of what I typed above. Oops. Anyway, those little self service cupboards are what you are looking for. HQ should have one though, in case it is more convenient for you.

Again, something you may or may not know, but don't confuse check-in with checking. Checking game has to be done with deer (and turkey?) where you have to take the tagged game to a place and have them record the kill. This is done at many places, DNR properties, gun shops, convenience stores, basically anywhere that wants to provide the service. Checking game is not required for small animals.

Hope this is helpful and doesn't just tell you what you already know. Speak up if this hasn't answered your question.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom