• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It will be interesting to hear an AAR for next Sunday's Winimac M&S.

Jedi has had a great relationship with them for years, I will be looking forward to his insights.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Not having read each and every comment on this thread, I`ll play devil`s advocate, and say this: Had someone gotten hurt, or even killed, everyone would have been screaming about why in the hell proper firing range etiquette and protocol weren`t followed. Personally, were I at a public range where the line wasn`t called hot and cold each and every time shooting were to cease and begin, I`d be outta there. Same with anyone handling a weapon while the line is cold. If keeping everyone safe is sucking the joy out of your shooting time, so be it.

Great way to interpret it. I have said this for years (with regard to State public ranges in general). The first accident and the anti's would GLEEFULLY scream to shut these places down. I have been going to the Winamac range for 20+ years and have always felt a greater RO presence was in order. Not that I have seen that many infractions there, but as you stated ONE is all it would take. As "odd" as I may think the no food or drink or separate muzzle-loading loading table may be? It is not anything I personally cannot live with or abide by and the Winamac location is still an awesome place...and FREE. Just my :twocents:

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    At public ranges I've experienced both overzealous range nazi's and complete unsafe morons, plus rules like only paper targets. So I contacted the Porter County Sheriff's department to make sure I was within the law and built a 15 yard pistol range with a 6' x 6' bullet trap with a dirt pile inside of that in my backyard. Even tough it is totally legal and safe I had a neighbor come over and ask me if I thought what I was doing is safe. I replied that it is tested, safe, and legal. He said he doesn't think that it's safe so I again said that I do and he walked away back to his house and so far that's the last I heard from him. The rest of my neighbors don't have a problem and one has even taken a few shots with me. I only use it once or twice a week for under a half hour so I'm not making a lot of noise. I guess my point is even on your own property and within the law you might have to suffer fools.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    Not one post in this thread is condemning any RSO over REAL safety issues. But.....

No longer being able to CCW or open carry while at the range. Yes.
    "rapid fire". Yes.
    No 50 bmg. Yes.

no one wants to get shot in the back by a moron.

should you be able to mag dump ? Christ yes
    should you be able to holster a handgun at the range? Yes
    should you be allowed to Shoot 50? Yes

i mean how hard is it to argue if you can't be trusted with a handgun in a holster at the range then why on earth would you be trusted with one in public around non-gun people?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Not one post in this thread is condemning any RSO over REAL safety issues. But.....

No longer being able to CCW or open carry while at the range. Yes.
    "rapid fire". Yes.
    No 50 bmg. Yes.

no one wants to get shot in the back by a moron.

should you be able to mag dump ? Christ yes
    should you be able to holster a handgun at the range? Yes
    should you be allowed to Shoot 50? Yes

i mean how hard is it to argue if you can't be trusted with a handgun in a holster at the range then why on earth would you be trusted with one in public around non-gun people?

Most likely only one reason. Insurance rates. Running the event with a cold range keeps it insurable. Insurance carriers may not even be willing to insure if participants were allowed to be armed at all times.

Matt

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    This is at all times, not just events

My bad on the use of "event". I initially thought I was replying to a different thread about an event I attended this past weekend where similar rules were in effect. After posting and proofreading I realized my mistake. Other than the word event, it all still applied to this thread and the post I was commenting on. I should have edited my post at that point to swap event for range but I got distracted and lazy.

Matt

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cheapskate.

I do believe that my next and last trip to Winamak will be June 17th.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Cheapskate.

I do believe that my next and last trip to Winamak will be June 17th.

Nah its called being resourceful.......Oh wait I forgot they didn't teach you that in the Army. Plus what I don't use can be sold for my time to drive down and it keeps my reloading cost even lower.

Top Bottom