• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hope I'm not putting you on the spot too much here Lars?

In the event of whatever SHTF will be, communications could be critical. Cellular and land line phones along with Internet access could all be gone.

If you don't mind, help us out here Lars.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    what would you like to know?

The local ham community for SHTF is governed by two groups (in marion county only one) ARES & RACES

ARES & RACES FAQ

In Marion County Indy Hams is the local ARES group.

The ARES group provides communications for things like the Hilly 500 bike race, circle city classic, etc. We (hams) do these events as practice for setting up remote stations, and communicating vital information back to whoever is in charge.

When there is a severe weather warning the local Skywarn net is brought online. We report at our locations (base - in my home / Mobile - in a car) what the current weather is should something notable happen such as half inch hail.

There are three classes of license.
    • Technician
    • General
    • Extra
    Technician is primarily limited to bands with a fairly short range. There are times the atmosphere helps out, but for the most part you're going to be talking with people within 100 miles of you.

General opens the doors for the HF (High Frequency) bands. These always allow long range communications. Just this morning, I talked to Estonia on the 20m band using 100w.

Extra adds small amounts of bandwidth to your General class on each end of the band.

Each license requires a multiple choice test. You have to score greater than %70 to pass. The Technician and General are each 30 question tests. The Extra has 50 questions.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    QRZ Practice Tests is a good place to gauge your progress on the various tests.

If you PM me I might be able to share some training resources to pass the tests.

The Indianapolis Radio Club offers testing the first Saturday of every month on Meridian and a bit north of fall creek IIRC. It's the Indianapolis Training Facility or something similar, old 13 story hotel with a bunch of antennas on the roof ;)

I could be convinced once it gets a little warmer to bring my radio gear out somewhere in the central part of the state so you can see what it's like.

This antenna is called the buddipole. It breaks down into parts that fit into a 3" diameter, 3.5' long bag. It will operate on all bands from 40m up to 2m
    bp-1.JPG

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think this is something we all need to consider.

How much would it cost for an adequate home base system plus a handheld you can take with you (after you get your license, of course).

Right now I have a GMRS license. It's not very useful since the antennae on GMRS radios are so puny, but it's a start.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I can anger enough people within earshot. I'm not sure that the world is ready for my diatribe to be heard round the world :lmfao:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    All this talk about ham radio is making me want to try to get my Extra license. Only problem is I'm still having flashbacks to my Advanced test... that was a tough one...

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    a good hand held on a budget: Yaesu FT-60 $179.95 (2m / 70cm, 5w hand held)
    The hand held I have is a bit more expensive: Yaesu VX-7R $279.99 (6m / 2m / 70cm @ 5W & 1.25m @ 300mw) Also unlike the FT-60 it has two receivers, so you can monitor two frequencies at once. It is water resistant to 3feet of water for 30min. I regularly use the dual receivers to monitor the Skywarn State Backbone, While also monitoring the Hamilton County local weather nets.

A great way to go for a multi purpose radio would be something like the Yaesu FT-857d $689.95 This is an all mode (CW, SSB, AM, FM) 160-10m, 6m, 2m, 70cm radio 100w 160-6m and 50,35w on 2m/70cm

You would need a power supply (about $200 for a 25a) or a deep cycle battery. (the bigger the better)

You would also want an antenna tuner, and an antenna. For emergency communications the tuner is handy because you can "tune" just about anything to work. Maybe not exceptionally efficiently, but when SHTF, who cares. Something > Nothing.

An antenna like seen in my photo above is about $450 with the 18' mast, and tripod. It includes the coax, and would not require a tuner.

The radio I had until November was a slightly larger version of the FT-857d called the FT-897d Electronically the same radio, but it included 2 7.5AH batteries which allowed for about 4 hours of transmitting at 20w with no external power source.

Currently I am using an Icom IC-746pro ($1479.95) which is 160-10m, 6m, and 2m 100W on all of them. It's physically a lot bigger than the two Yaesu Radios above, but makes for a much easier base system to operate. It operates on 12v DC which means I can drag it out into the field and use batteries, or my car to power it.

All of the above HF radios have been connected to my computer for use with digital modes. there are a lot of little things that can be added as time goes on and you get an idea of what in your hobby you would like to do.

A lot of people wouldn't like my recommendations as first radios. The FT-857/897 are difficult to operate, not because they are bad radios, but because the smaller face plates mean most of your settings are nested inside menu functions. The advantage of those two models is the cost, and combined features. For $700 you get a radio that can do everything. It may not be a GREAT CW rig, but it does CW, it might not be excellent at 70cm SSB, but it can do it. You'll notice my more expensive Icom does NOT include the 70cm band.

Another radio that works well, although I'd not recommend it as an only radio is the Yaesu FT-817ND It again is electronically identical to the FT-857/897 however it is limited to 5W of transmitting power on all bands (aka. QRP or Low Power) it like the 897 has internal batteries, and can be powered with 8 AA batteries. It's much smaller than the other two which makes it easy to carry on a strap over your shoulder. I have one I've borrowed which I would happily bring out, along with my Mobile HF antenna on the back of the Subaru if someone wants to see what tuning around the HF bands is like. I don't know how many contacts we can make with 5w on a poor performing antenna, but then again, that's one of the fun things about Ham Radio IMHO.

I'm sure the other's licensed here will have opinions on gear as well. I spy an Icom IC-718 above. Another great choice for a low cost, HF rig. Much easier to use than the FT-857/897, but does not include 2m or 70cm at all.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    and for those who missed it in the Hobbies section.

From left to right:
    • The Almighty Can of Coke!!
    • Icom External Speaker
    • Icom IC-746pro
    • Icom 25a Power supply
    • Kenwood DM-700A (2m/70cm FM)
    • 22" Acer LCD
    • There's a HamKey 3 Straight Key (morse code)
    • AKG Headphones
    station-icom.jpg

Computer is an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1gb DDR, 80gb Hard drive
    Running PC-BSD 1.5 <---Operating system (loaded with ham software.)

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Well as long as this thread taking a different turn ;)

WI9NDY (then WD9CYI) c. 1984

Swan Cygnet 270B
    Vic-20 Computer
    Regency HR2-A 2-meter
    Teletype model 33ASR
    100' long-wire via MFJ mini tuner

WD9CYIWI9NDY1982.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, all this is very interesting and pretty darned technical.
    What if I just want a radio (preferably hand held) to monitor during SHTF without the idea of talking on it unless absolutely necessary? What would be the minimums in hardware and licensing?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    For monitoring, a license is not required.
    In a disaster, a lot of the law goes out the window, but it's always good to practice, SOOOO....

I'd recommend either of the hand helds I had linked above. Is the VX-7R a lot better than the FT-60, not really. I really wanted the water resistant radio.

I'd also recommend taking and passing the Technician test. This opens the door for local area communications, involvement with ARES/RACES, and the ability to become intimately familiar with your gear. (much like shooting) :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For monitoring, a license is not required.
    In a disaster, a lot of the law goes out the window, but it's always good to practice, SOOOO....

I'd recommend either of the hand helds I had linked above. Is the VX-7R a lot better than the FT-60, not really. I really wanted the water resistant radio.

I'd also recommend taking and passing the Technician test. This opens the door for local area communications, involvement with ARES/RACES, and the ability to become intimately familiar with your gear. (much like shooting) :)

That answers the question that I was embarrassed to ask. I can buy the radio and listen prior to getting the license. Extra $100 for dual receivers and waterproof seems like the way to go.

Not to worry, when I spring for the radio, I'll feel guilty whenever I look at it until I get my license.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Wow this is all great info. I remember a few years back at SANS I had worked with some local folks and we did a test run. I don't remember who exactly but it was this same thing.

I may look to start getting certified with technician cert.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I will confirm with James AB9ID before committing to this, BUT....

The last weekend of June is ARRL Field Day. Crazy hams all over the country pack up their gear, and take it to somewhere other than their home to operate. Usually using Generators to power their equipment. It's a contest and super easy to make contacts with people all over the country. This is easily the largest event of the year.

We were considering running a GOTA (Get On The Air) station. Which uses a different call sign than the club call being used for standard contacts. The idea is a Licensed Ham (Like Myself) act as the Control Operator, to allow Unlicensed People (Like many of you) to make contacts (up to 25 each for points)

Last year we were camped out on private property in Greene County. or Brown County (I'm not sure which it was) somewhere within about 10 miles of the giant train viaduct. We are planning on using this spot again this year.

I'm sure we would be happy to have some of you swing by and operate the GOTA station. And I'll confirm with James, but I don't think he'd mind terribly if a few wanted to spend the weekend camping.

I'll open a New thread after I talk with him titled Field Day 2008, for those interested.

I'm not sure, but he's got about 35 acres of forest. It's possible we could set up a make shift range. Again I'll confirm before I commit him or his property to anything.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Good Info!

W9ZEB,

Hey, good explanations of what is needed to get licensed!

I've been lurking on this forum for a month or so. Saw some of the posts regarding ham radio and thought I would chime in. I have some HF gear as well as VHF/UHF. My handheld is a little Yaesu VX-5R which provides 6m/2m/70cm as well as AM/FM and assorted public service bands.

There are quite a few hams who also have an interest in the shooting sports too. Spread the word.:rockwoot:

I'm ready for the zombies!

PappyD aka KG9KF

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Been licenced since 79
    I love radio the problem is we seem to be loosing the game all the old ones are gone
    and all the new ones are just test takers
    Not to mention the new gear if it goes down is basicly not repairable
    I think it's a conspiracy LOL

Farmritch

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I got my tech license in 92 or 94 (I was 10 or 12, can't recall right now), but let it expire like a bonehead (It just slipped my mind as I had never updated my address with them...). My Dad got his license a couple years ago though and is very active.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    How much harder is the General than the Tech since the code requirement for general was dropped last year? Would you recommend going straight to general class?

Top Bottom