• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    So I finally located an Austin Behlert 1911 mini combat. I've been looking for a while, and all of a sudden, it appeared. It's al worked out and will be shipping the middle of this month.

For those of you unfamiliar with Behlert's work, he was one of the early 1911 pistol smiths. A contemporary of Charlie Kelsey (Devel), and Armand Swenson, Behlert was early to latch onto the philosophy that smaller guns are easier to conceal. In the early 1970s, Behlert started with S&W Model 39s (about the only small, automatic around at the time) and cut them down. He cut down the barrel length, melted the edges, and added finger grooves. They were popular among police as back-up guns, but Behlert saw the need for more knock-down power and the plethora of surplus 1911s, so he took out his hacksaw and grinder, grabbed some K-frame sights, and went to town. Before Detonics (not Randall) solved the galling problem and was able to mass produce these pistols, custom smiths like Behlert, Swenson (the Bobcat), and Kelsey were the only way to go.

(Yes Bob, I know Detonics were more than mass-produced alternatives to custom guns. Even back in the day, Detonics prices--not to mention quality, innovations, and good looks--were up there with custom smiths.)

In addition to the Smiths and 1911s, Behlert did a handful of Browning Hi-Powers. If I didn't need it to shoot, I would likely give my right arm for one of those. Alas, someday...someday...

Anyway, here she is. If all goes well, I might be adding a Model 39 mini-combat as well. Remember, the only parts available at the time were from Colt, or Swenson's limited selection.

picture.php

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Really, no fans of Behlert's work? No love for the early smiths? If I ever find that Bob Chow Holy Grail, with whom will I ever be able to share it?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had not heard any of this before. Thank you for the history lesson.

Very nice pick up and good luck finding a Hi-Power.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Never heard of him either, thanks for the education. I loves me a 1911 with a squared off trigger guard.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Behlert was one of the early icons. George Smith at EGW got his start with him. Before he died Behlert would often post on pistolsmith.com and his threads can still be found and read. He had a son-in-law named Art Leckie that ran the business and formed his own company but died before Austin did. I used to love their full profile carry comps and it took a lot of skill to create the finger groove grip that you see.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Those pistolsmith.com posts are incredible. Listening to him talk about Askins and Jordan, dealing with Gaylord and Swenson, sitting back with Bill Ruger. I have learned quite a lot reading those pages. Good reference. Definitely Jonesin' for a Boland or a Hoag or a Clark or a Chow...not to mention a Swenson or Kings.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I've been sitting around reading about gunsmiths of yester-year. Very very cool stuff.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Bob Chow made AMAZING guns.

You may get me to start branching off my collection of compact pistols if you keep up this talk :):

My plan to get odd bulk discounts is working! Jeez, I had to pull a major rabbit out of my hat with this Behlert to even have something worth bragging about to you, my friend!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Then again, you did convince the wife she wants a Detonics, so I owe you there!

Easy task to accomplish. EVERYONE wants a Detonics, the hard part is getting them to listen to the story behind the guns.

Once people realize that all these modern mini-1911 pistols, and many of the upper end target guns, and many of the real 1911 innovations and things like solving the problem with stainless steel galling came from a little company in making tiny semi-custom 1911s in Washington state, then they want one!

Chow, Swenson, Behlert and others were contemporaries of the time making true custom pistols that were nothing short of practical artworks for self defense and competition.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Preach the word!

I can't wait until I get my gun.

I have seen some really innovative Bob Chow guns on line, but people never seem to want to turn them loose. Can't really blame them though. The guy selling my gun buys estates with his partner, but he seeks out early customs, and has been collecting those for a while. He has a Kings on his site right now. Sold a Swenson not long ago.

Here's a picture of a Behlert Hi-Power:

picture.php

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Allright, I'm bumping this up onr more time. Look at that damn Hi Power...a thing of beauty. Someday my friends, someday...

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    My Behlert mini Combat has been paid for and is en route. Damn that's an awesome feeling. Stupid slow postal service not catering itself solely around my needs and teleporting the gun here...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    While in college I worked at a small gunshop and met some very interesting collectors. I've seen several of these as well as some Swensons, Clarkes, Asps, Smolts and other early guns. I love the Hi Powers and would gladly give several guns to own one. A lot of things considered standard now came from the imagination and skill of these early craftsman. :yesway:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Congrats!!!

Which dealer is doing your transfer?

If I said Cabela's, would you promise not to laugh. Seriously though, they were the cheapest (here) at $35, and I was in a bit of a rush because we were leaving for Virginia. We had to postpone the trip, so I am still around, and will hopefully get it a little sooner. I don't know how you handle with the wait time, as many as you have transfered. I can't process anything but immediate gratification.

Top Bottom