• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just wondering if anyone else on here used the Lee auto disk powder measure. I like it, its pretty accurate from what ive seen thus far using it. Definitely makes fast work of loading some ammo for such a low price product. But dang its messy. Powder goes all over the bench, just wondering what some of you thought of it that are currently using it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I get some spillage with real fine powders but not all over the bench type spills. Are the screws tight in the hopper? I'm thinking of switching to the pro to see if it is better. I have noticed some slight variance with powders like Trail Boss in the amount thrown. .1 gr or less but still not perfect.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im using it with ACC2230 right now which is a small ball type powder. I got the hopper tight, but it still spills on the bench, not a bunch but you notice it for sure. I like the set up super easy to use. It throws + or - .1gr using it so im happy, I just hate the mess.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I like it fine with some powders and it sucks with others. I hate it with fine flake powders. Ball powders so so, and stick powders ok. Larger flake powders are good to go. I have one with each turret for my press.

Thats what I am wanting to do myself. It would make it so easy switching between calibers. I just picked up two ther turrets yesterday, now saving up for .308win an .40S&W dies sets.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Im using it with ACC2230 right now which is a small ball type powder. I got the hopper tight, but it still spills on the bench, not a bunch but you notice it for sure. I like the set up super easy to use. It throws + or - .1gr using it so im happy, I just hate the mess.

Yeah. WST which is also ball powder is what spills on mine.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yeah. WST which is also ball powder is what spills on mine.

Ah ok, thats what i was wondering so I gues its not an isolated incident. I guess I need to use some of the bigger flake powder like was mentioned. But really for how easy it is to use a little mess isnt to bad of a trade off.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    You can fine tune it by sanding the bottom to fit a touch ' tighter. take the gap out of it. too much and its ruined. I can now use any powder

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm using one for both my pistol rounds (9mm and .45) and experimenting with .223 right now.

I've been pleased with it, and do agree that it does seem to "spill" a little. After a few hundred rounds I have a visible amount of powder, but nothing excessive.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yup thats what im loading with it currently is .223. like I said overall Im very pleased, but yes there is noticable amount on the bench after 50 or so rounds.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I started using a locknut under the brass retaining nuts on the hopper to keep it from loosening. Here is my press after 1200 rounds of .45 using Universal. It works just as well loading .223 with AA2300. Make sure to loosen the hopper just enough to allow it to move freely without any binding.
    400298049.jpg

400298047.jpg

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking of switching to the pro to see if it is better. I have noticed some slight variance with powders like Trail Boss in the amount thrown. .1 gr or less but still not perfect.

By the sounds of it in this thread, you would still see the same small spillage from the Pro. I have all the pro's for each turret I own, and recently just loaded 500 rds of .45 ACP using 6 grains of unique. The pro's threw a very consistent charge, but after it was over , I did brush up enough powder and found that it did weight close to 4 gr's, but again, this was over 500 rounds and the charges I checked were very consistent.

I don't think I would switch over to the Pro just because of a little spillage. My only reason for having the pro's is simply because years ago, that was what a friend loaned me, along with the powder thru expander die to try on my rock chucker. I liked it and just ordered the same thing that I had tried, along with the turret press and extra turrets of course.

Thats what I am wanting to do myself. It would make it so easy switching between calibers. I just picked up two ther turrets yesterday, now saving up for .308win an .40S&W dies sets.

I can easily justify the cost of having a measure for each turret. Having that additional turret plays a big roll in how the changeover from caliber to caliber is so quick. When adding another caliber, the additional cost of another powder measure, is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    In the standard disk I also had some spillage, especially with AA#5. It would get bad enough that it would bind the disk. I did the old graphite lube trick (using a #2 pencil) and it helped a bit but still had issues. I up graded with the Lee Precision: Pro Auto-Disk Update Kit and my problems went away. I left the spring and everything from the original in place as I didnt care for the little chain set up. I have since switched all of my plates to this and could not be happier. Loaded 300 .40 s&w and 200 44 magnum rounds the other day and might have had a grain or two of powder spillage at the most. Cycles great every time with no sticking regardless of powder.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've not used it with any rifle powders. As for pistol powders, I've only had a problem with Unique. So much so that I won't use it. That's OK, I'm not fond of Unique either. Universal and the Accurate pistol powders are no problem and it throws *very* consistent charges.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I also have the pro for all of my die sets, but I have gone to the adjustable charge bar on all of them. I like the ability to fine tune the charge bar, over having to make due with what ever the discs would drop of your favorite powder.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I also have the pro for all of my die sets, but I have gone to the adjustable charge bar on all of them. I like the ability to fine tune the charge bar, over having to make due with what ever the discs would drop of your favorite powder.

You can fine tune the drop by slightly reaming out the smaller hole closest to the charge you want. I have a stack of extra disks since I have a separate turret with its own autodisk permanently set up for different loads.

I know you are happy with your setup, this is for those who haven't gotten the adjustable charge bar and are looking to fine tune a load.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    Just wondering if anyone else on here used the Lee auto disk powder measure. I like it, its pretty accurate from what ive seen thus far using it. Definitely makes fast work of loading some ammo for such a low price product. But dang its messy. Powder goes all over the bench, just wondering what some of you thought of it that are currently using it.

People say it doesn't matter which way you place the hopper on top of the disk, but for me it sure does. I noticed that mine would spill like crazy if it's placed one way, and not at all if it's turned around. I also put some clear nail polish on the screws so the round nuts won't back off when in use.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I went to them for Trailboss as the Dillon measure wouldn't throw a consistent charge of TB for me. I haven't used it for any other powder since the Dillon measures work fine on most everything else. I do have one of the Pros I bought to try with other powders, just never got around to it yet.

Top Bottom