• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I've been bitten by the 1911 bug and I've been looking at the models from RIA and then I saw the auto-ordinance for $498 at Buds. I don't know anything about them. I have found through some web research that they had a bad rap and then were bought by khar. Anyone have one or have any experience with one?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I heard the same about Rock Island Arms. You take a chance with any firearm, dependable or not. Mags are important. My "cheapie Rock Island" shoots ball and hollowpoints without any issue.

The AO 1911 is a close GI Model. Remember that a lot of Gunsmiths can fix or change almost any part of a 1911 with easy to find components. I have changed a couple of parts on mine and used Colt parts. They fit and didn't require a lot of work.(Main spring Housing w/ lanyard, Wide Hammer, GI era Grips) I like the GI look and mine is getting closer.
    Would I buy an Auto Ordinance? Yes. I would also buy some Wilson 47D mags, and some Chip McCormick mags.

Try a couple of 8 rds, and a couple of 7 rds.(as were the original design issue) Mine likes the 7rds better than the 8rds, but guns are different. Range time will tell. You can also learn a bit about taking them apart, and reassembling to clean. I have had a few 1911s, AO shot okay, Colt was iffy from mags, Kimber was pretty good, Springfield was also pretty good, Rock Island is pretty decent.

I don't shoot competition, just for fun. 1911s qualify for me. Would I use it for self defense? Sure. Served our country well for over 70 years.

Good luck shoot straight.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

:p

I have owned a couple of AO's and was seriously disappointed in both of them.

I have seen a few RIA's of late that have been far better fit/finish than what I was used to seeing.

There are many Ingo members that have AO's and love them. Roll the dice if that is what your budget allows.

Just remember that for a bit more you can get a Springfield mil-spec. JMHO.

Vert
    bite me

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have the AO 1911 from Kahr and it has been very good. No problems to report.

CM- Were yours pre-Kahr (2002)? The earlier models were built from surplus parts and really did have a bad reputation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the AO 1911 from Kahr and it has been very good. No problems to report.

CM- Were yours pre-Kahr (2002)? The earlier models were built from surplus parts and really did have a bad reputation.

1 was pre-Kahr and the other one was last summer.
    I was going to just tune the new one (last year) to my specs but the slide lock hole in the frame was so far out of spec there would not have been much left of the barrel link lug to get the Ed Brown barrel to fit in it. I tried a springer barrel just to verify and yup.........no way. It was returned to the LGS who was gracious enough to trade me into the new SA Mil-Spec that I should have bought to begin with.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    1 was pre-Kahr and the other one was last summer.
    I was going to just tune the new one (last year) to my specs but the slide lock hole in the frame was so far out of spec there would not have been much left of the barrel link lug to get the Ed Brown barrel to fit in it. I tried a springer barrel just to verify and yup.........no way. It was returned to the LGS who was gracious enough to trade me into the new SA Mil-Spec that I should have bought to begin with.

There's no way you're not on the Springfield payroll....... Having said that, I agree that for not much more you can get a mil-spec or a used RO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's no way you're not on the Springfield payroll....... Having said that, I agree that for not much more you can get a mil-spec or a used RO.

Heck CP....I do not even get a Ham at Christmas............:)

I have found that for the most part Springer builds/sells a quality 1911 for the money. They accept up-grades easily enough and CS is outstanding in my experience.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    I picked up a new Sig 1911 XO stainless w/ the CTC laser grip for $750 last month. Considering the grips are about $300 by itself (and when you register you get the free batteries just like if you bought it retail), you could say I stole the Sig for $450. There are good deals out there for some of the more higher end 1911, just gotta be right place at the right time I guess.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    There are lemons of every brand. I have a Springfield 1994 mil spec that is tack driver. Customer service is amazing.

I also handled an American Tactical Imports commander 1911 at Whittakers and had to have it. For 300 dollars I couldn't pass it up. The fit and finish was superb. Even the fire control parts inside are fitted and polished at the contact surfaces. I did have an ejector break off the start but customer service fixed that quickly. Paid shipping and I had the gun back in a couple weeks. No problems since and the gun eats any hollow point I feed it. I couldn't ask more for a 300 dollar gun.

I wanted a commander and just wanted to get my feet wet in that territory. The gun has beavertail and high mil spec sights. Just want I want in a carry gun. I don't like am I safeties or all the extra stuff. I'm not saying to buy one. But if you want a lot for the money I wouldn't hesitate get another one. The gun has never faulted on any of my 7/8/10 round mags.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I have a 100 yr anniversary AO 1911 that I gave about $560 for a couple of years ago. Doesn't like hollow points in really cheap magazines but has never failed to eat FMJ. Doesn't have the flared ejection port so it sorta dents the brass but it shoots minute of bad guy every I press the trigger.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I bought one right after Kahr took control and it must be one of the good ones. I have put quite a few rounds (under 1000) through it and have yet to have a malfunction. Most of the ammo has been FMJ 230 GR Federal or WWB but I did run a couple of mags of 230 GR Gold Dot when I changed out my EDC Colt Defender ammo. It ran fine. I did use my Wilson mags though. It is also pretty accurate too. The one thing that bothers me is that when dry firing I notice that I can feel movement in the grip safety. It needs a little love and some decent internals I guess. You don't notice it when firing live ammunition.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought one right after Kahr took control and it must be one of the good ones. I have put quite a few rounds (under 1000) through it and have yet to have a malfunction. Most of the ammo has been FMJ 230 GR Federal or WWB but I did run a couple of mags of 230 GR Gold Dot when I changed out my EDC Colt Defender ammo. It ran fine. I did use my Wilson mags though. It is also pretty accurate too. The one thing that bothers me is that when dry firing I notice that I can feel movement in the grip safety. It needs a little love and some decent internals I guess. You don't notice it when firing live ammunition.

I save all the new internals from the 1911's I buy. I always dump the ignition parts right away and use good steel parts. I have a lot of spare bits with no to very little time on them.
    Sometimes on the island guns they are a bit out of spec and require a bit more attention to detail.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I just love the way that AO looks though. I have heard mixed reviews, but you hear those from EVERYTHING, so it makes it hard to know what your gonna get. I am still on the fence. I just love that parkerized finish and roll marks. Looks like a brand new surplus gun from ww1 to me.. That makes it attractive to me.
    GetDynamicImage.aspx

Hard to find another 1911 that is as big a throwback.

Personally, Ive given huge consideration to TISAS ZIGM, They have been out awhile now, and they still seem to get great reviews.

Top Bottom