• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Never used it, never will. If I need to find ways to spend time, which would include finding part time employment, I need to reevaluate my hobbies. :)

I'd rather be at the range.

I'm guessing you're over forty and don't live in a big city or travel extensively.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So here's my take based upon the video.

1) The pedestrian obviously should have seen the car and not walked out in front of it.
    2) However, based upon what I have read and heard, the sensors should have detected the pedestrian and stopped the car.
    3) The "driver" is an ugly POS with horrible hair and apparently served no purpose behind the wheel.

The question remains- legally, if this were a case of a human driver, I would say the pedestrian was about 80-90% at fault and the driver 10-20%, which results in no liability in Indiana. After humans are limited by their eyesight and it looks to me like the pedestrian "came out of nowhere" into the headlights at the last second with little chance of avoiding.

However, this is not a human driver. In addition to visible light "sight" these cars have radar, some have lidar, some have infrared which should "see" things that the human eye can't. Would this be judged as if the car was driven by a human, or based upon the capabilities of all the sensors.

Example- say F1 star Lewis Hamilton is driving. His driving ability is far beyond the average person's. However, the law is clear that if he is in an accident on the street, he is not judged by a higher standard because he is a particularly skilled driver. Rather, the standard for negligence is still "the reasonably prudent person under the same or similar circumstances". With the "reasonable person" standard apply to cars?

We will never find out in this case as the case will be settled..and quickly.

[video=youtube;XtTB8hTgHbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtTB8hTgHbM[/video]

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm guessing you're over forty and don't live in a big city or travel extensively.

You'd be wrong. I travel extensively and to many big cities, was in LA last week. They have this thing called rental cars that don't involve trusting strangers.

Or as Hough said, "an ugly POS with horrible hair"...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You'd be wrong. I travel extensively and to many big cities, was in LA last week. They have this thing called rental cars that don't involve trusting strangers.

Or as Hough said, "an ugly POS with horrible hair"...

I'm over 40, but travel regularly to big cities. I've got a guy in New York (you have got to have a guy) to get me places quickly and use the subway and even buses, but in LA and elsewhere I rent cars.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    If the down fall of our civilization comes anytime soon, i'm going on record that its because everyone LOOKS DOWN WHEN THEY DRIVE to where they are holding their phones (by their lap). Listening to the radio, eyes mostly forward, eating in car, eyes mostly forward, yellin at ex on phone, eyes mostly forward, texting someone --eyes down for waaay to long- . After everyone is run over or run into, we'll slowly limp away into the sunset....that we wont see because we are looking down at our phones texting.

Top Bottom