• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I planned to get started in reloading a few rifle calibers and bought an RCBS press kit. But now that I am actually getting ready to start, it turns out that I can't find any of the consumable stuff I need! I initially thought (foolishly) that things like bullets were interchangeable as long as you match diameter, weight and material and shape. But according to the reloading manual I got with my stuff (Speer) that's not the case.

The changes of being able to get the exact bullets, primers and powder that the reloading manual specifies for the stuff I want to reload are slim (and that's assuming that I don't have to match the brand of case).

My question is, is it like this all the time these days? I mean, I have dozens of things on "notify me" at MidwayUSA - bullets, powder, primers etc. Do these things ever become available lately, even intermittently, or has everyone been waiting for years? I didn't realize it was like this because ammo availability has been great lately.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Powder and bullets are fairly readily available now. That hasn't been the case for about the last 2 years.

Go to the Hodgdon website and see that most of their powders are in-stock most of the time now.

I have a large stash of bullets I've collected over the last couple years, but most recently got a bunch of .45 and 9mm from https://summitcitybullets.com. They are a great value and work fine for practice (you should be using factory ammo for self-defense).

Brass: I collect all my factory brass (and friends & family) from the range and keep them in buckets labled by how many firings they have been through.

Primers are the biggest barrier to entry right now for almost every type and especially small pistol primers. They are out there but are so expensive and rare it's almost not worth looking for them.

The Speer manual shipped with the press kit is an OK start for a load manual but you should add at least the Lyman manual to your collection. Also, most of the powder manufacturers provide online load data as well as the bullet suppliers give specifics for their line of bullets.

Example for 9mm Luger:
    1669662021938.png

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I can't remember the last time that I could find EVERY reloading component ANY time I needed it.

Discord's reloading channel can be helpful for in-stock notifications.

Midway is not great for reloading stuff IMHO. Try places like powdervalleyinc.com, grafs.com, bulletcentral.com, brunoshooters.com and bluecollarreloading.com. At least, those are the first few that come to mind.

It is a hunt to find what you want but I am seeing most things come available. Maybe not in stock for long though...

If you are new to reloading (or even if you are experienced), I would suggest finding a "reloading buddy". They can share their experiences and knowledge with you. INGO is great too but it is nice to have someone that can help FtF, if needed.

Depending upon your goals with a particular caliber, you may have lots of component options.

I have tended to use the manuals only as a starting guide. A decent chronograph, proper load development and a patient analytic approach will get you where you want to be.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    The Speer manual shipped with the press kit is an OK start for a load manual but you should add at least the Lyman manual to your collection. Also, most of the powder manufacturers provide online load data as well as the bullet suppliers give specifics for their line of bullets.

This is an excellent point. I cross reference several manuals for a starting point and have manuals back to the early 1970's.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the input. I have actually ordered the Lyman manual because they include data for different bullet manufacturers. But most of the bullets that are available now (from the likes of Grafs) are more obscure brands that aren't covered.

It just feels like I'm going around in circles. I can find Hornady bullets for what I want. So I got the Hornady loading data for those, but it calls for powder and primers that I can't get. I can get other powders which the powder manufacturer provides data for, but I can't get the brand of bullets they specify.

How important is it to match primers? Is it dangerous to substitute one manufacturer for another, assuming I start at the lowest loads?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Every answer in reloading comes with the caveat: start with a safe load and do your own testing for the characteristics of your own firearm.

That being said.....

I use the components that I like. For example, for match grade rifle loads, I prefer Lapua brass, Federal 210M and Berger bullets.

If I were to start a new load for, let's say 6.5 creedmoor, I would cross reference the load data provided by each component manufacturer to develop a starting point. Once a safe load is determined, I'd take it to the range and chrono, look for pressure signs and then develop from there.

That is a gross generalization of the process - but you get the idea.

So to answer your question. It is not critical to match primers within a given category. This is not to say that I would mix a small pistol primer and a magnum primer. But I would swap a CCI SPP for Federal SPP - but I would work load development to unsure a safe load.

Primer have varied characteristics in detonation, strike force needed, etc.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I planned to get started in reloading a few rifle calibers and bought an RCBS press kit. But now that I am actually getting ready to start, it turns out that I can't find any of the consumable stuff I need! I initially thought (foolishly) that things like bullets were interchangeable as long as you match diameter, weight and material and shape. But according to the reloading manual I got with my stuff (Speer) that's not the case.

The changes of being able to get the exact bullets, primers and powder that the reloading manual specifies for the stuff I want to reload are slim (and that's assuming that I don't have to match the brand of case).

My question is, is it like this all the time these days? I mean, I have dozens of things on "notify me" at MidwayUSA - bullets, powder, primers etc. Do these things ever become available lately, even intermittently, or has everyone been waiting for years? I didn't realize it was like this because ammo availability has been great lately.
    Which rifle cartridge(s) do you want to start loading?

nmeyers11007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2021
    Thanks for the input. I have actually ordered the Lyman manual because they include data for different bullet manufacturers. But most of the bullets that are available now (from the likes of Grafs) are more obscure brands that aren't covered.

It just feels like I'm going around in circles. I can find Hornady bullets for what I want. So I got the Hornady loading data for those, but it calls for powder and primers that I can't get. I can get other powders which the powder manufacturer provides data for, but I can't get the brand of bullets they specify.

How important is it to match primers? Is it dangerous to substitute one manufacturer for another, assuming I start at the lowest loads?
    Don't focus so much on the brand of bullets called out in the manual. Just the bullet type is important when figuring COAL and powder charges. FMJRN, FMJFP, HP etc. Generally speaking when referring to load data, all 9mm 115 grain FMJRNs are the same no matter what brand it is.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I don't know anything about pistol or shotgun, but I do load over 3500 rounds of 223 a year, take this for what it's worth. I'm just a competition rifle guy wanting to help steer in the best direction.
    Use the same manual as the projectiles, i.e. Hornady bullets , Hornady manual.
    Make friends with the reloading guys/competition guys at your gun club, chances are you will be able to get small quantities of components to try. And there guidance will be very helpful in your journey of reloading.
    Discord or reddit reloading is a real time who has what.

Now answer us this so we can better help you, what caliber? Plinking or serious marksmanship? Bolt gun? Gas gun ? Ect.

For what it's worth, cci primers are a little soft and will peirce, in my gas guns (national match service rifle and match rifle) I have moved to federal primers. The small rifle magnum & AR match seem to be identical.

Aaron

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks!

I'm mainly looking to reload .303 British for a Lee Enfield. Then maybe 6.5mm Swedish and 7.62x54R. So mostly milsurp rifle calibers. I'd like to reload others eventually, but this is the main goal partly because of availability. I have a few hundred rounds of .303 and that's it until who knows when. There's nothing out there. I don't even want to waste any brass learning to reload that caliber because I have so little of it.

I am pretty serious about marksmanship, but we are talking old milsurp rilfes with iron sights at 50-100 yards. Right now the best I can do is around 1" groups at 50 yards with Prvi ammo in the Lee Enfield. If I could replicate that as a starting point, and then improve it a bit, I'd be very happy.

I was hoping to get started with .223 until I get the hang of the basics, just because there's no shortage of brass. So I got the dies for that as well as .303 when I got the press.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I'm mainly looking to reload .303 British for a Lee Enfield. Then maybe 6.5mm Swedish and 7.62x54R. So mostly milsurp rifle calibers. I'd like to reload others eventually, but this is the main goal partly because of availability. I have a few hundred rounds of .303 and that's it until who knows when. There's nothing out there. I don't even want to waste any brass learning to reload that caliber because I have so little of it.

I was hoping to get started with .223 until I get the hang of the basics, just because there's no shortage of brass. So I got the dies for that as well as .303 when I got the press.
    We have several different types of bullets that are ideal for .303 British, 6.5x55, 7.62x54R and .223. We also have dies, brass and powder (lots of powder). As others have pointed out, primers are the weak link in the supply chain. Unless you are looking to load something that is different than normal types of loads for these calibers, I'd be surprised if we don't have pretty much everything you need other than the primers.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Get yourself a copy of this book for about $10. There's nothing magic about it. It just contains nearly all of the published load data conveniently bound between two covers. After you study it a bit, you will start to see the possibilities for available powders and bullets. The 223 is probably the most loaded rifle cartridge out there with tons of component possibilities and available advice. If you can find small rifle primers, you already have brass and there are plenty of available bullets and powders that work well in the 223.

IMG_1235.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Get yourself a copy of this book for about $10. There's nothing magic about it. It just contains nearly all of the published load data conveniently bound between two covers. After you study it a bit, you will start to see the possibilities for available powders and bullets. The 223 is probably the most loaded rifle cartridge out there with tons of component possibilities and available advice. If you can find small rifle primers, you already have brass and there are plenty of available bullets and powders that work well in the 223.

View attachment 239335
    They publish that same booklet for loading a LOT of milsurp weapons.
    I've seen that available for 7.62x39/7.62x54R/ .303British...
    They are great publications worth the price.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Speaking of which…
    Expecting any shipments soon?
    (I realize you may not want to or cannot tell us)
    Our big monthly shipment will either be next week or the week after (depending on if the truck is a little behind because of Thanksgiving). It typically (but not always) comes on Tuesday or Wednesday, and product usually goes on the shelf the next day (Wednesday or Thursday). If they are still on the normal schedule, I would GUESS that they would be here on December 6th or 7th. If they are running a week behind, probably December 13th or 14th.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Our big monthly shipment will either be next week or the week after (depending on if the truck is a little behind because of Thanksgiving). It typically (but not always) comes on Tuesday or Wednesday, and product usually goes on the shelf the next day (Wednesday or Thursday). If they are still on the normal schedule, I would GUESS that they would be here on December 6th or 7th. If they are running a week behind, probably December 13th or 14th.
    Ty 4 the info.
    Looks like I’ll be taking a drive in a couple weeks.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Welcome to the World of Reloading!
    Component availability Varies constantly, especially lately & unfortunately it May get worse.
    Good advice on the Lyman & One Book/One Caliber Manuals, in addition to what you have.
    Also w/b advisable to seek out an Experienced Reloader in your area.
    I've found This Forum to be an Invaluable Resource as well!

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lots of excellent advice above! I want to clearly reiterate one thing that goes with your OP: You do not need to use the exact components listed in the manuals, and as your finding, you often can't. You'll also find that 3 different manuals might have the exact same powder/bullet, but list very different charges (and expected velocities). This all drove me absolutely crazy when I started out!

Think of the reloading manual as a cookbook. it might say "1/2 cup of Kraft mild cheddar", but you can use other cheddar cheese. However, you shouldn't use mozzarella or parmesan and expect the same result. Find a close match, start your powder charge on the low side, and safely work up from there. Just like cooking, your ingredients, oven, and taste will be different, so adjust accordingly. That's where the art comes in. The one exception is powder - If the book says Varget, it means Varget!

It's hard not to ramble on about general reloading questions. The "right" answer comes from a formula, and there are a lot of variables that work together. I'll just focus on one piece of advice - SAFETY. Safety is not really about a particular amount of powder, or a primer, or the bullet, or the case, or even velocity at the muzzle - It is about PRESSURE. Pressure comes from how much energy is released, how quickly, and in what space.

You could burn a pound of Titegroup on your driveway, and do no harm past the burn mark. Put 0.001 lb (7 gr) into a 9mm Lugar case, stuff in a 147gr HP on one end, and a small mag primer in the other, stick it in a WWII pistol... and your asking for real trouble.

This was the missing piece for me when I started out. Once I wrapped my head around how each component related to pressure, I felt a whole lot more comfortable looking at load data, and coming up with my own "recipe" plans. I also started to recognize why 3 manuals varied so much for the same bullet/powder (beyond "lawyers are involved). I think the 303 British will be more forgiving than a 9mm +P load, but the important points are the same.

Good luck, stay safe, and enjoy!

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

View attachment 239335
    I wasn't aware of these publications, now I am curious and may have to order some for my calibers. Only have tooling for 9mm, .45acp, .223 and 6.5cm right now.

I like the idea of a specialized manual like this, to learn everything about something (a particular caliber) rather than the usual manuals that present something about everything.

My only concern is how up-to-date are they? Powder mfg. techniques and properties have changed somewhat over the years as well as bullet design, construction and materials.

Top Bottom