• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    A friend of a friend hooked me up with this recipe. This was his write up on how to make it.

My wife and I both had it last night for dinner and today for lunch. It is a great soup.

We changed it around a bit and used medium instead of the hot bratwursts. Even with that change it's still a spicy soup. If you don't care for spicy, put less crushed red pepper in it and you will be good to go. I'm not a fan of really spicy stuff and it was still good being warm.

So, since it is cold and awful out... I am sharing my recipe for "Awesome Soup" -- because it is awesome.

You will need the following: (see picture for clarification...)

10 Cups Chicken Broth
    I package of Johnsonville Hot, Italian Sausage (or 1 lb of your choice of hot, Italian sausage)
    1 medium onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 container of cut mushrooms
    1.5 cups, orecchiette Pasta (uncooked)
    6 Petite red potatoes
    4 Cups of Curly Kale
    2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
    Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Parsley

1untitled-1.jpg

You're basically going to throw all of this in a pot... and cook it.

SO... get this thing going by chopping up your onion and cutting the potatoes into small pieces... And removing the stems from the Kale.

THEN... remove the sausage from its casings and drop it in a large pot, along with half of the onions.

2untitled-1.jpg

Be sure to remove the casings of the sausage!!!!!!

Use large wooden spoon to break up the sausage into small bits...

3untitled-1.jpg

Let it cook for about 5 minutes. Then, add the potatoes, garlic, red pepper and parsley. Stir it up and cook for another few minutes.

4untitled-1.jpg

Mmm... Taters..

Add mushrooms and orecchiette (and the remaining half of the chopped onion)

5untitled-1.jpg

Add the Kale (torn into smaller sizes)

6untitled.jpg

Stop whining, it's good for you!!!

Pour in the 10 cups of broth, using your large, wooden spoon to move it all around and get the Kale mixed up with the rest of the ingredients.

7untitled.jpg

Can you smell the awesome?!

Add salt and pepper with 2 tsp of Thyme...

Bring to an awesome boil for at 5 minutes the put on "simmer" and let it sit for 20 minutes...

As an extra bonus, I will sometimes through in a sliced Jalapeno... it's excellent. Also... allowing this to sit in the fridge overnight and then re-heating it the next day... is even better!

Enjoy the awesomeness that is Awesome Soup!

untitled-2.jpg

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I think it looks great...Too bad I'd be cooking it for myself, because no one else in this house would touch it with a 10 foot pole. Damn picky eaters.

Not only did we eat it for dinner and lunch. I shared the leftovers with my dad and our designer at lunch today. My dad just about licked the bowl when he finished it off.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Warsaw
    That looks tasty.Probably try that this sometime next week. Always looking for a good recipe.Maybe there should be a posted where members can post some of their favorite recipes.

Top Bottom