• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    No your opinion does matter to you absolutely. To you 100%. Additionally I did not say that you were Ignorant or poor. You may well be a blazing ignorant buffoon? I have no idea.

Honestly in order for someone to become angry they would have to place some value and care about your opinion. Not being sarcastic or derogatory just providing a basis for my statement.

Likewise you are free to have the mistaken belief that the 1911 is outdated. For something that is outdated there sure seems to be a lot of manufacturers out there that can not keep up with production demands for as you put it an a outdated weapon. I

You opinion is just that it has no impact on the viability of any handgun for any given purpose.
    If I could just keep making and selling the same thing without changing much of anything except the price year after year I would too.

How can anyone, even I, fault them for that?

If the market was still there for horse carriages marketed as a better alternative for an a daily driver at premium prices over a car I'm sure the carriage sellers would not mind producing all they can.

I have a feeling the 1911 market is on it's way out, along with those who carry them.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If I could just keep making and selling the same thing without changing much of anything except the price year after year I would too.

If the market was still there for horse carriages marketed as a better alternative for an a daily driver at premium prices over a car I'm sure the carriage sellers would not mind producing all they can.

I have a feeling the 1911 market is on it's way out, along with those who carry them.
    Yes you are absolutely correct! they are on their way out, they and have been for well over 100 years now.

In all seriousness there continues to be a market for the horse and buggy. There are many that use them as an alternative to modern transportation. So your carriage analogy is flawed as well. 3427884E-040D-4B80-8443-82F708AA196A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Qh5C83A.jpg

I would argue the 2011 is renewing an interest not seen in the general platform in years TBH. The guns were borderline made to be shot with a dot, minimal at best recoil and amazing triggers making them very easy to shoot well.

Fringe benefit of Staccato being the "entry" level of the platform has been great IMHO as almost everyone has a fantastic experience with the pistols. If issues do happen Staccato CS is great as well. It took 30 years for someone to sink the money into STI to get the guns to actually run but I am glad they did. But if you check my postings over the years I liked 2011's long before I ever owned one.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Yes you are absolutely correct! they are on their way out, they and have been for well over 100 years now.

In all seriousness there continues to be a market for the horse and buggy. There are many that use them as an alternative to modern transportation. So your carriage analogy is flawed as well. View attachment 211366
    Boomers won't be around forever.

They are certainly well on their way out though, at least you're right about one thing tonight ;)

So angry over an opinion. Like I said, I'm not insulting your wife or mother or something. It's just an old outdated gun.

I love antiques. But I wouldn't carry a flintlock as an edc. Get it? I'd totally love to have one. Just like I really like the 2 1911's I have. I just don't want to pretend I'm doing a partial historical reenactment while walking around every day. Not every new fangled thing is bad.

Just like "the people using horse and buggy as alternatives to modern transportation" you're using an outdated old technology as an edc.

I know change can be scary.

Have a good night :)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

They are certainly well on their way out though, at least you're right about one thing tonight ;)

So angry over an opinion. Like I said, I'm not insulting your wife or mother or something. It's just an old outdated gun.

I love antiques. But I wouldn't carry a flintlock as an edc. Get it? I'd totally love to have one. Just like I really like the 2 1911's I have. I just don't want to pretend I'm doing a partial historical reenactment while walking around every day. Not every new fangled thing is bad.

Just like "the people using horse and buggy as alternatives to modern transportation" you're using an outdated old technology as an edc.

Like you said your opinion. Still plenty of agency’s that utilize the ever relevant 1911. You do you I will do me and yes I do carry a 1911 in many different environments.

I guess Old Bill Wilson is churning out relics at a premium.

a wise person once said a person convinced against their will will be of the same opinion still.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Wait, I thought that we were talking about 1911s, not Glocks.

It may well be that the 1911 and those that appreciate it are heading into the sunset. We will be a lesser nation should that happen. The 1911 is a thinking man's gun. Too many in our country look to others for answers instead of finding out for themselves.

This is not a knock on you DDadams, as you are a 1911 guy that carries what works for you. I am the same, as I sit typing this with a P229 on my hip. Where we differ is simply in the understanding that the 1911 is still relevant in today's carry environment. Each of us needs to carry the tools for the risk we see.

Honestly though, I don't think that the 1911 is going into the sunset anytime soon. Sure, it tends to be carried more by those of us with some years behind us. But I think that is only because as we age, we gain a better feel for what matters and we realize that the probability of finding ourselves in a John Wick scene is pretty remote.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Devils advocate circa 1930

My horse and buggy is better than a Ford. Let's talk again when your automobile has been in use for 100 years
    Acually automobiles as we understand them have been around since before the turn of the century. By 1930 they were almost 40 years old.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I think about my "journey" in pistol shooting, I kinda wish I had stuck with my 1911 and never bought a high cap 9. I have always enjoyed shooting my 1911 (9mm) much more than any other pistol I have owned. And I went through a bunch of them in my quest for the "best" high cap 9.

I guess it may be because I started on a 1911, but I don't experience a lack of dependability, see it as being a complex handgun or have troubles with the manual of arms. True, they are not plug and play when it comes to mods like the poly wonders, but I don't really need to mess with mine. It runs well. In the 1000's of rounds I have through mine, I had to replace the extractor once and AllenM was so kind to do that for me when I was there once for a gun cleaning party. I know how to slick up the action on them and do full detail strips to deep clean it once a year of if it sits out in the rain for a day.

Though I do believe you should be able to shoot most everything with some degree of competence, if I had stuck with my 1911 and not switched back and forth so many times, I would be a much better shooter.

I will still carry my Shield but I'm going to retire my M&P Compact to nightstand duty moving forward.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Not a Boomer. Carry 1911. Your generalizaions aren't cool.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm late to the 1911 after Years of carrying double stack pistols, and just in the last few years I got a few 1911's. I actually feel more confident with the 1911's accuracy, ergonomics, and trigger than I do with polymer striker fired pistols.

Just look at all the new 10mm's that came out in the last year or two. Most are having growing pains. My single stack RIA Ultra FS 10mm seems to be out preforming them at this point.
    It's so reliable that I'm actually thinking about buying an RIA 10mm double stack 1911 over the new polymer pistols out.

20220123_120823.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I think about my "journey" in pistol shooting, I kinda wish I had stuck with my 1911 and never bought a high cap 9. I have always enjoyed shooting my 1911 (9mm) much more than any other pistol I have owned. And I went through a bunch of them in my quest for the "best" high cap 9.

I guess it may be because I started on a 1911, but I don't experience a lack of dependability, see it as being a complex handgun or have troubles with the manual of arms. True, they are not plug and play when it comes to mods like the poly wonders, but I don't really need to mess with mine. It runs well. In the 1000's of rounds I have through mine, I had to replace the extractor once and AllenM was so kind to do that for me when I was there once for a gun cleaning party. I know how to slick up the action on them and do full detail strips to deep clean it once a year of if it sits out in the rain for a day.

Though I do believe you should be able to shoot most everything with some degree of competence, if I had stuck with my 1911 and not switched back and forth so many times, I would be a much better shooter.

I will still carry my Shield but I'm going to retire my M&P Compact to nightstand duty moving forward.
    I started out with a 1911 too. While I have nothing against a high cap poly wonder gun, I sure do wish that I had skipped a bunch of the soul-less things and just focused on the 1911 platform instead. I've been gravitating back to the 1911 platform over the last year. While I still love my Sigs, I keep finding myself wondering why I own anything else after a range trip with a 1911.

I should find myself a Sig compact 1911 in .357 Sig and enjoy the best of both worlds

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

your opinion is worth what we've paid for it

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    Found a nice article on the 1911.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to address this issue. A M1911A1 was my first sidearm in the Army way back when ... lots of fond memories (and a few ooopsies. :) )

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    I truly love that old gun. The stories it could tell.
    We are in a time rift. The vaunted 1911 is from well before any of us posting were conceived and it’s still kicking major ass. I agree with DK. The newer versions are superior by far to the war versions built under extreme pressures for numbers and they were built as throw aways because many never made it back. Many are buried still on beaches and battlefields long past.
    The people who started on a handgun like a 1911 are older like myself. After a lifetime of this platform it’s way to comfortable to even consider a G**** and it’s crappy ergonomics (to a 1911 guy) and relearn.
    Younger folks like DK who truly love the platform but can also work the other offerings is good. But the 1911 stands out in my mind as the coolest offering ever made.
    "But the 1911 stands out in my mind as the coolest offering ever made." - Ditto :)

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    It's all a Coke vs Pepsi argument, and I drink tea. I agree Ayoob probably just needed something to write about and nothing sells like unsolvable issues like this.
    We absolutely live in a golden age of choices. Only some see that as an improvement.
    I spent years carrying a Makarov and have had many look down at that, but they worked for me and what I needed at my perceived threat level.

Things are changing in the world to where I felt like upping the firepower I carry was necessary. After riot season a couple of years ago I upped to a Canik Combat Elite. I recently sold it in favor of going 10mm.

The other night my wife and I went to dinner and in the parking lot my spare magazine was bothering my side so I took it off my belt and stuck it in the glove box. I told her "If something happens and I can't handle it with 12 rounds, you tell 'em I tried".

I do believe, however, that nothing selling well is obsolete. Furthermore, the only thing that truly makes a firearm obsolete is not being able to get ammunition for it.

Top Bottom