• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    1. Determine whether you meet the qualifications to obtain a concealed weapon permit.
    Applicants must:
    • be a resident of this state or a United States citizen;
    • be twenty-one years of age or older;
    • not be under indictment for a felony offense;
    • not be convicted of a felony offense, unless the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated or pardoned, or the individuals right to possess firearms has be restored AND the individual must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.
    • not suffer from mental illness and been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
    • not be unlawfully present in the United States;
    • complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to ARS §13-3112.N.
    Ok all set there, assuming my IN DNR online hunter education qualifies under ARS 13-3112.N.2; which from reading INGO sounds like it has/does.​
    2.Review the provisions contained in Arizona Revised Statute Title 13, chapters 4 and 31 which are available on the Arizona State Legislature website utilizing the following link:Arizona Revised Statutes
    Ok easy enough, not exactly like Indiana, but easy to understand.​
    3.Contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit to request an application packet which contains an application, two fingerprint cards and a return envelope.
    Ok this is where I am snagged in the process right now, I called it rang and rang and rang and rang; no answer. So I emailed. Anyone that has been through the AZ process know how long I should expect to wait to hear back or if I should be calling a few times per day until I get an answer?:dunno: I get that AZ, UT and FL are probably a little busier than the IN office; but I'm eager to get applied and have the paper work call completed and processed.​
    4.Using the return envelope provided, send the completed application, adequate documentation which demonstrates firearms safety competence, two complete sets of fingerprints, the appropriate fee in the form of a money order, cashier's or certified check; payable to the AZ DPS to the CWPU. For a current list of fees click here. Fees are non-refundable.
    Most of this is still pending but when I did my LTCH application, I live in the county so I go through the SO and they sent me straight to L1, no mention of prints being done on site at all, do I need to take the card into them and have them do it, just go to the company that did the L1 stuff, does it need to be signed off by the PD or just clear prints? I'm planning on getting my C&R paperwork done soon, so I'll be stopping by when I have to provide copies then, but I figured INGO might have the low down on this already.​
    I'll do my best to keep this thread updated as I progress so fellow hoosiers can perhaps have a little better idea of the process and the timeline it takes to get through the AZ system.

Timeline:
    2/29/2012: Online Indiana DNR through Hunter-ED course started and completed; online temp certificate issued
    3/1/2012: Email sent to AZ CCW office requesting packet
    3/5/2012: Notification of packet in the mail from AZ CCW; Hunter Education permenant certificate received in mail
    3/10/2012: Application Packet arrived
    3/20/2012: Fingerprints done, application completed

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    3) Someone answered the phone when I called, I would keep trying.
    4) I had mine done at the local PD for free. They did sign the cards, but I don't know if that is a requirement.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    It took me about a week to get the Arizona CCW paperwork after emailing them. Trying to get prints (even for my Indiana) was a nightmare. The local LEOs are somewhat anti-gun. Ended up that the instructor for the Utah CCW class I took understood my dilema and fingerprinted me for both. I'm now just playing the waiting game.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    1. Determine whether you meet the qualifications to obtain a concealed weapon permit.
    Applicants must:
    • be a resident of this state or a United States citizen;
    • be twenty-one years of age or older;
    • not be under indictment for a felony offense;
    • not be convicted of a felony offense, unless the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated or pardoned, or the individuals right to possess firearms has be restored AND the individual must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.
    • not suffer from mental illness and been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
    • not be unlawfully present in the United States;
    • complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to ARS §13-3112.N.
    Ok all set there, assuming my IN DNR online hunter education qualifies under ARS 13-3112.N.2; which from reading INGO sounds like it has/does.​
    So far, so good. Yes, it counts.
    2.Review the provisions contained in Arizona Revised Statute Title 13, chapters 4 and 31 which are available on the Arizona State Legislature website utilizing the following link:Arizona Revised Statutes
    Ok easy enough, not exactly like Indiana, but easy to understand.​
    3.Contact the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit to request an application packet which contains an application, two fingerprint cards and a return envelope.
    Ok this is where I am snagged in the process right now, I called it rang and rang and rang and rang; no answer. So I emailed. Anyone that has been through the AZ process know how long I should expect to wait to hear back or if I should be calling a few times per day until I get an answer?:dunno: I get that AZ, UT and FL are probably a little busier than the IN office; but I'm eager to get applied and have the paper work call completed and processed.​
    Perhaps you called at lunchtime or on a day the office was closed? (I recently tried them on 2/21, which was Presidents' Day. :n00b: :ugh:) I figure about 4 days in the mail to get it there. They told me that once they get the paperwork in, plan on about 8 weeks for the permit to come back.
    4.Using the return envelope provided, send the completed application, adequate documentation which demonstrates firearms safety competence, two complete sets of fingerprints, the appropriate fee in the form of a money order, cashier's or certified check; payable to the AZ DPS to the CWPU. For a current list of fees click here. Fees are non-refundable.
    Most of this is still pending but when I did my LTCH application, I live in the county so I go through the SO and they sent me straight to L1, no mention of prints being done on site at all, do I need to take the card into them and have them do it, just go to the company that did the L1 stuff, does it need to be signed off by the PD or just clear prints? I'm planning on getting my C&R paperwork done soon, so I'll be stopping by when I have to provide copies then, but I figured INGO might have the low down on this already.​
    I'll do my best to keep this thread updated as I progress so fellow hoosiers can perhaps have a little better idea of the process and the timeline it takes to get through the AZ system.

[/QUOTE]When I got my Utah, I took it and my C&R cards down at the same time. I also got my cards for my suppressor and my IN lifetime LTCH done at the same time (just ~ 2-3 months before the whole L1 thing hit in my county... :xmad:) and yes, signing the cards is a requirement. That way they can show that they were taken by someone with proper training in how to print someone.
    It took me about a week to get the Arizona CCW paperwork after emailing them. Trying to get prints (even for my Indiana) was a nightmare. The local LEOs are somewhat anti-gun. Ended up that the instructor for the Utah CCW class I took understood my dilema and fingerprinted me for both. I'm now just playing the waiting game.

Sorry to hear you had problems. If I was running into that problem, I'd either do what you did or go directly to ISP to be printed. (I don't know where you are, so can't be more specific.)

HTH!

Blessings,
    Bill

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I went through the AZ process. I think I typed up a thread about it, but I remember that my local PD charged me $15 per card for the two fingerprint cards. It's nice because AZ accepts more types of training...even though I still had to do the hunter training as none of my instructors at the time filed to get their classes approved.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I need to do AZ's process...

But I don't (yet) have any classes that qualifies me under ARS 13-3112.N.2. I DID have a Hunter's Education Course about 20 years ago... I don't think that'd count. Even if it did count, I can't prove it as I no longer have the wallet card.

-J-

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I need to do AZ's process...

But I don't (yet) have any classes that qualifies me under ARS 13-3112.N.2. I DID have a Hunter's Education Course about 20 years ago... I don't think that'd count. Even if it did count, I can't prove it as I no longer have the wallet card.

-J-

If any of the MDFI crew are NRA Certified, would that make Handgun 1 an acceptable course under AZ law?

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

---

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
    :dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If any of the MDFI crew are NRA Certified, would that make Handgun 1 an acceptable course under AZ law?

:dunno:

Good question/s... I don't know that I could prove my completion of that, either, though. I couldn't find that cert. if I had to. :n00b: :D

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Kinda a newb question, but, what's the interest in the AZ permit? More states to carry in? If so is it really cost effective (I'm cheap), ie do you travel EVERYWHERE you have a permit to carry? Not trying to thread jack, just genuinely curious.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Kinda a newb question, but, what's the interest in the AZ permit? More states to carry in? If so is it really cost effective (I'm cheap), ie do you travel EVERYWHERE you have a permit to carry? Not trying to thread jack, just genuinely curious.

Yes, with the AZ non resident permit you get:

NE, WI, NM, KS, OH, WV, VA and NV

So even if you travel to just Ohio on occasion, it is worth it. As for "cost effective" how much is self defense worth to you? :dunno: To me it is worth the extra money even if I travel to just ONE of those States, only ONE time, to be able to defend myself and my family in those States.. just my :twocents:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Yes, with the AZ non resident permit you get:

NE, WI, NM, KS, OH, WV, VA and NV

So even if you travel to just Ohio on occasion, it is worth it. As for "cost effective" how much is self defense worth to you? :dunno: To me it is worth the extra money even if I travel to just ONE of those States, only ONE time, to be able to defend myself and my family in those States.. just my :twocents:
    WI now recognizes IN LTCH

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    According to my latest information (always check it yourself!), AZ honors the following states that do not honor the Indiana license:

DE, KS, NE, NV, NM, OH, VA, WV.

The AZ permit gives an additional 8 states; whereas the Utah permit only 7, and Utah requires a special class that will cost about another $100.

The FL permit also gives another 8 states, but it costs twice as much as the AZ permit.

On top of all that, the AZ permit does not require a photo but both FL and UT do.

The AZ permit is the better, easier, and cheaper of the three.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011

For me it was a highly cost effective way to make it so that should I want to go to or through OH I was covered, and it makes the plains states easier to navigate without having to be as worried about staying openly carrying.

I enjoy going to CO, and have some friends there; and I've got friends in NM that AZ would get me. I've been to MN twice in the last 20 years and never been to WA, and that's all that UT would shift the balance on; I'll likely take the classes for the non-res UT permit and just hold off on filing the paperwork until there is a likelihood of me going to either of those states.

This map will help you see what a difference each state makes after you factor in the LTCH.
    Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map
    OpenCarry.org will show you which of those no permit and license acknowledgement states will allow you to OC even if you can't conceal.

All of this is the hoops we have to jump through to make interstate travel safer and legal; however some states still require us to check our rights at their boarders.

And today's update:

Permanent Hunter Safety Education Certificate came in the mail today +1 to Hunter-Ed
    Email received today from the AZ DPS letting me know they shipped out my application packet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Application mailed out Jan. 29. AZ CWP arrived in today's mail. Used my UT CFP to satisfy the training requirement. No muss, no fuss. Can now carry in 38 of 50 states legally, the exceptions being CA, CT, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and SC. I should not have to pay hundreds of dollars to exercise this right, let alone do so and still not have it be universal, but AZ DPS handled this very professionally and I'm not at all displeased with them.

:+1: AZ DPS

Blessings,
    Bill

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I mailed my AZ application in late january, and got it today.
    That's about 40 days. Dearborn Co. sheriff charged me $10 per card:(
    And the IN hunter's ed. course I took in high school [still have the card:D]
    was enough to show I'm not an idiot! 2 day class, pshaw!

Now I can have loaded mags in my car, in OH.:rolleyes:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Dropping in to provide an update...

Packet arrived in the mail on 3/10, due to life getting in the way it took until 3/20 to get the prints done; but they were free which was nice, and I got my C&R forms dropped off at the same time. If I can get to the grocery store to get postage (due to those lovely federal victim zone laws the post office won't get my business, even if the postal service does) everything should be mailed off tomorrow. In which case based on all forecasts, means I shouldn't have an update in this thread until right around memorial day.

+1 to my Sheriff Department, not only did I not have to make an appointment and waited less than 5min before someone was able to help me, but they were also very nice and willing to help me, and they didn't charge me anything for their time (which used to be an expectation, but lately seems to be above and beyond). So maybe that's +3 depending upon how you rate it.

Top Bottom