• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Still flying after 60 years, oh man! 6° nose down because it has so much lift! Just wish I'd been able to see a wing of B-36s fly over. That would have got my hormones in an uproar.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am dating myself but back in the 1980's I was assigned to a B52 unit. They use to fly with the nose tilted down at low level so the pilots had good visual on ground targets. Even though they relied on the Nav and Radar Nav they did this a lot. This was before the advent of GPS or laser guided type weapons though. Still impressed with the big birds.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It is due to stay in service till at least like 2045!!!

What is most impressive is reading accounts from survivors of 52 strikes...

One Viet cong soilder said the earth moved and that it was not that things were utterly destroyed but that rather they ceased to exist.

In the gulf at least one large group of Iraqis surrenders after seeing another unit get annilated by a 52.

Father was down at barksdale afb years ago on the ramp and pretty much said impressive was to small of a word.... And his jets are worthogs...

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, under the shadow of B52's and KC135's flying out of K. I. Sawyer AFB. They used to fly over all the time, until the base closure budget cuts. They used to do tree-top fly-overs for July 4th and community events, and an air show every summer. :yesway:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    A classic. One day it may be regarded as the finest bomber ever built, maybe the finest combat aircraft to ever see service in the US Airforce. My father was a Bomb/Nav on a BUFF during the Vietnam war and I grew up on SAC bases including K.I Sawyer and Wurtsmith in Michigan, and SAC HQ out in Omaha. To watch an ORI exercise is one of the most impressive things ever.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I was told it takes off nose down, not because it is taking off, but because it is so ugly it scares the ground away.....................Not my opinion!!! I love the BUFF, used to watch them land and take off when they flew into Kadena because of bad weather in Guam....probably THE greatest warbird ever!!!

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    A classic. One day it may be regarded as the finest bomber ever built, maybe the finest combat aircraft to ever see service in the US Airforce. My father was a Bomb/Nav on a BUFF during the Vietnam war and I grew up on SAC bases including K.I Sawyer and Wurtsmith in Michigan, and SAC HQ out in Omaha. To watch an ORI exercise is one of the most impressive things ever.

To watch an ORI, I agree ...... to go through one however.......

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    i learned recently that my wife's grandfather, while in the air force, was an airframe mechanic on the B-52 as it entered service. His main job was fixing / replacing the mid-air refueling doors. Guess they were rather delicate and tended to get beaten up a lot.

-J-

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    They used to have B-52s at the base I'm stationed at. We have one of them on static display that was one of the 2 B-52s to shoot down a Mig. It displays it's kill with a red star on the side!

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    periodically i would have to drive by minot air force base and over the fence i could see the huge tail sections sticking up into the sky in a land where nothing sticks up in the sky. very impressive beasts!

jake

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.

There was a B-52 fly-over at Rolling Thunder two years ago,caused a lot of cheers from the crowd.

In July 1972 a B-52flying out of Guam to drop a load on Nam crashed while flying through a typhoon.The crew of 6 was able to bail out, we picked up 4 of the crew, another boatgot the pilot and the 6th was found dead a couple weeks later nearYap Island.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Back in the day my dad was stationed at Ft Sill for quite awhile. They used to do an annual combined arms live fire exercise that was humbling to see. One of the highlights was a low level B-52 pass dropping a load of bombs with the impact area about 1 mile away. Impressive does not begin to describe this feat.

Top Bottom