• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    :( lil birdie last thursday told me that fishers 96th St Wal-Mart had rare 100 rd bulk boxes of 9mm Federal Champion ammo on the shelf. :rockwoot:
    I stopped around 1 PM, and indeed found out they had stocked the shelf with sixty 100 rd bulk boxes on wednsday. Thursday afternoon they were down to 12 boxes, I asked for 2, Terry the sales associate said "Good, cause we now have to limit these to two per, and three boxes of any combination total. :dunno:By now the bulk boxes are gone again, but how long will 3 per customer total limits apply?:xmad:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I actually hope my local WalMart goes back to the 2 box limit. The 100 round Federal Champion in 9mm and .40 S&W always seem to be out of stock lately. If I could just reliably pick up a box or two whenever I happen to be in there I could stay well stocked myself.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    We've been singing it from the rooftops for months: Buying factory ammo means you are at the mercy of hysterical hoarders that are "prepping" for the day our leaders try to take away guns and ammunition. Well, that is a VERY unlikely scenario, but if you spent your time reading reloading books instead of driving to Walmart, and you spent your money on components instead of factory fodder, you'd be ALL SET for the coming year. You wouldn't care how many boxes Wally World has on the shelf or whether or not they're rationing them. You'd just go load what you want, when you want.

If America is all about freedom, and the 2nd Amendment is about our right to bear arms, then reloading is the glue that bonds those two things together!

Now, go read the threads on reloading and start figuring out what you're going to need. :)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I can't remember the last time I bought factory ammo, and even then it was only to get the brass for some unusual caliber. Even if you don't reload now because it's not cost effective for you, there is no excuse for not having enough components on hand to load a thousand rounds of your favorite caliber. Right now a thousand primers will cost $30, a pound of powder will run about $25, and a thousand cheap pistol bullets will run about $80. Most pistol brass will reload minimum of 10 times and upwards of 50 depending on the load, so 50 once fired brass with that and you have enough to reload a thousand 9mm rounds that fits in a 50 cal ammo can.

Right now I have reloading components for my next 5 years of normal shooting and a surplus of the cheaper things like primers. I am presently planning on fleecing the unprepared by selling primers at a high markup if we face another shortage after the election again, and I won't feel guilty at all because I've spent the last several years trying to get people to maintain a stock of their consumables so they aren't at the mercy of the hoarders and panic buyers.

And if there is no shortage then I will eventually use up my supplies having fun with them :)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    We've been singing it from the rooftops for months: Buying factory ammo means you are at the mercy of hysterical hoarders that are "prepping" for the day our leaders try to take away guns and ammunition. Well, that is a VERY unlikely scenario, but if you spent your time reading reloading books instead of driving to Walmart, and you spent your money on components instead of factory fodder, you'd be ALL SET for the coming year. You wouldn't care how many boxes Wally World has on the shelf or whether or not they're rationing them. You'd just go load what you want, when you want.

If America is all about freedom, and the 2nd Amendment is about our right to bear arms, then reloading is the glue that bonds those two things together!

Now, go read the threads on reloading and start figuring out what you're going to need. :)

This.

I can't remember the last time I bought factory ammo, and even then it was only to get the brass for some unusual caliber. Even if you don't reload now because it's not cost effective for you, there is no excuse for not having enough components on hand to load a thousand rounds of your favorite caliber. Right now a thousand primers will cost $30, a pound of powder will run about $25, and a thousand cheap pistol bullets will run about $80. Most pistol brass will reload minimum of 10 times and upwards of 50 depending on the load, so 50 once fired brass with that and you have enough to reload a thousand 9mm rounds that fits in a 50 cal ammo can.

Right now I have reloading components for my next 5 years of normal shooting and a surplus of the cheaper things like primers. I am presently planning on fleecing the unprepared by selling primers at a high markup if we face another shortage after the election again, and I won't feel guilty at all because I've spent the last several years trying to get people to maintain a stock of their consumables so they aren't at the mercy of the hoarders and panic buyers.

And if there is no shortage then I will eventually use up my supplies having fun with them :)

This.

That's just one reason I got into reloading. I did not want panic buyers to dictate when I can and can not get ammo.

And this.

Start reloading now. I did 60 rounds of .40 yesterday in less than an hour on a single stage press, and that included the time it took to walk the dog. If you reload/load your own you are the supply. My next adventure will be cast bullets eventually so i have only powders and primers to buy unless i need something different.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have reloading stuff; that's not the point. I have bad words for limits. You show up first, and have the money, you should be able to buy what's for sale. Even if it doesn't seem to everyone to make the most sense. It's capitalism. It's the market. Screw limits. If I want a million rounds of 9x19, I should be able to buy them. I probably wouldn't go to Walmart, but what in hell business is it of yours if I do? Reckon I could do worse.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't ration out of some altruistic goal of making sure that everyone can buy ammo. I would bet their people know that a fair amount of customers come in for one thing, whether it's a TV, or ammunition, or whatever. If it's not in stock, those people will leave without spending any money in the store. If it IS in stock, now they have a better chance of getting you to buy more stuff, since you're already getting your wallet out. Walmart didn't get as big as they are by being stupid.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't ration out of some altruistic goal of making sure that everyone can buy ammo. I would bet their people know that a fair amount of customers come in for one thing, whether it's a TV, or ammunition, or whatever. If it's not in stock, those people will leave without spending any money in the store. If it IS in stock, now they have a better chance of getting you to buy more stuff, since you're already getting your wallet out. Walmart didn't get as big as they are by being stupid.

I agree. But I think the real reason for the rationing is to keep people from buying all the ammo and reselling it. Ever notice the for sale only at Walmart stickers on the boxes. If there is no ammo in stock then people might not come in and buy other things in the process. Normally I would say business is business and let it all happen as a free market. But if the gun stores buy all the inventory and create an artificial lack of supply then it becomes a problem.

As far as reloading. Sure it makes sense. Of course during the last illogical ammo panic the components became scarce and prices went up for those as well. It is all getting expensive. My answer is to just shoot more rimfire and limit the centerfire to more productive drills instead of just blasting away.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As far as reloading. Sure it makes sense. Of course during the last illogical ammo panic the components became scarce and prices went up for those as well. It is all getting expensive. My answer is to just shoot more rimfire and limit the centerfire to more productive drills instead of just blasting away.

My point is that even if you have no interest in reloading now, it's pretty cheap to stock some of the components and then you could trade a friend who does reload later for some time and mentoring on his equipment.

Primers were the big thing during the last shortage and they are plentiful right now. A box of a thousand takes up little more room than a box of ammo, store it away and I guarantee you that if there's another shortage you'll be able to trade it for ammo one way or another.

Even when ammo was scarce last time, I rarely waited more than 4-6 weeks to get powder and primers in, and since I maintain a stock of them and was buying what I normally shoot, I didn't have to pay scalper prices. Before the shortage I was paying about $25/k primers. During the shortage I was paying about $33/k for the same brands. Powder went up about 10%, no big deal. I didn't get scalped because I didn't need them Right Now and was fine with waiting a month or so to get it in. The people who suffered worst were the people whose ammo buying strategy was to go in to Wal-Mart when they run out, and the people who panicked because of that and tried to buy a ten year supply of ammo (for the level of their shooting which is a box or two a year) all at once when they could find it.

We shouldn't have as much of a shortage in components this time around because we are no longer fighting two major fronts and the manufacturers ramped up production and are sitting on excess capacity right now.

imjammin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I hope we don't have shortages again, but I have slowly been trying to stock up on my compentents. I think it's good advice to put some supplys back just in case. I don't like limiting my shooting due to lack of supply.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thank goodness that all the Walmarts around me do not have this silly maximum.Everytime I walk into a Walmart,the first thing I do is checkout their ammo, usually it ends with me cleaning out all the Tula 223 on their shelves.

Top Bottom