• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So, I've been thinking about getting a Back-up gun to my G-19. I wanted something comparable in caliber (9mm or .380) and something that's smaller (skinnier) than my G19 now. Any suggestions? As most of you know, I'm not a new shooter, and I can shoot off hand fairly well. I have a G26 (Well, *I* don't have one.. my wife does) and I want something smaller than that. Semi-auto is a preference.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    the ruger lcp would seemingly fit the bill, and lots of people have been buying them up lately and they seem to be holding up very well to everyday carry, but go to a gun store and fondle the guns that are the size you want , then try and shoot what you want to buy before hand

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I just picked up a Taurus TCP .380 for back up to my G19 and G26. I also wanted something that was easier to conceal on a small frame with summer clothing (shorts n tshirt) I got it at KS&E on Pendleton Pike for $279.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thin? 9mm? How about a Kahr? The P9:

gw0101_image2.jpg

Besides, chicks dig Kahrs (get it? chicks dig scars from The Replacements):

217949-thumb.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you're not going to use the magazine-compatible G26 as your BUG, then caliber commonality isn't as important (other than only keeping a single caliber in stock for practice). Therefore, I'd focus on other, more important factors, like concealability, reliability, etc.

How about a hammerless .38 Smith & Wesson snub-nose revolver? Very concealable, very reliable, packs a good punch, and can be stuck into an aggressor's body without going out of battery (a consideration for a last-ditch gun).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How about a hammerless .38 Smith & Wesson snub-nose revolver? Very concealable, very reliable, packs a good punch, and can be stuck into an aggressor's body without going out of battery (a consideration for a last-ditch gun).

The OP has stated he wants something smaller than a G26 (a J-Frame is not, IME), and that semi-auto is his preference. To say nothing of a J-Frame revolver having a vastly different manual of arms than his primary gun, and generally being a PITA to shoot well.

My :twocents: on your :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The OP has stated he wants something smaller than a G26 (a J-Frame is not, IME),

Although they may be similar is overall footprint, I find a J-frame to be much more concealable than a blocky G26.

To say nothing of a J-Frame revolver having a vastly different manual of arms than his primary gun,

Yes, for reloads and such, which I don't see doing a lot of with a BUG. For its role (pull it out and pull the trigger), the manual of arms would be VERY similar to his G19.

and generally being a PITA to shoot well.

At distance, yes-- close up and personal, pretty easy.

My :twocents: on your :twocents:

You guys already did a good job of pointing out the semi-auto options; I was just giving an alternative. Not just for his own info, but for that of anyone else that might be lurking and reading this thread.

Last edited:

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    It sounds like you are a Glock fan. With that being the case, you may want to look at the Diamondback 380. Very similar in design, but easily fits in your pocket. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I picked one up recently and going to shoot it tomorrow at the range for the first time. If your interested, I can give you an update on how it goes.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I love the way my PF9 carries. Nothin feels better than having an extra 7+1 load of 9mm ready to go incase SHTF and a speedy reload of your primary EDC is not an option.

But like everyone has said, what's good for one isn't good for another so shoot what you can get ahold of and see what works for you

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have the same platform of carry: G19 either IWB or OTB with some type of retention. Like to use Kydex or Desantis type holsters. BUG is 442 S&W 38 spec. I throw a spare speedloader in off side pocket and either pocket carry or IWB. I like to carry a spare 15 rd mag for the G19, but with the BUG don't want too much more weight so it is on/off depends on my travel. Milk/bread store gets BUG only w/
    speedloader, especially in summer shorts and polo shirt. Try a couple options to see what is best. Note: The new rugers (Lcp) are cool but the 380 acp ammo is expensive in hollowpoint configuration. Good luck.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Taurus 709 Slim. Single stack, 7+1. 9mm. Similar operation to a Glock 26, but can be fired again without working the slide in the event of FTF (FTE still requires the normal clearing sequence). Small, light, accurate. I use a Galco IWB Tuckable so it is very easy to conceal when wearing a T-shirt or light summer attire.

There have been some complaints about its reliability, but Taurus resolved all of my problems at their cost and the weapon works perfectly now with all types of ammo. Details have been posted on :ingo: if you care to research it.

Good hunting—for your next semi-auto.:twocents: :):

Top Bottom