• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    I appreciate your help fellas....I just kinda was confused as to which works and which does not very well.
    I know it's gonna be what's most comfortable personally, but comfort not always means practical?

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a Keltec P-32. It has performed flawless unlike the stories you hear about Keltec's. The P-32 pistol is easy to carry in you pocket so you are more likely to bring it with you.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    I have an AMT Backup in 45ACP. 380 , and .22 LR ! I also have 3 Raven 25's and 4 Jennings 22's! LOL I like the pocket guns! Depends on the day as to what I will carry as a backup. Have two friends with Ruger LCP's and they are good shooting guns too. AMT seems to have a bad rap, but I have had nothing but good luck with mine. Not a failure at all due to the gun at least . Had one bad mag that would fail to feed every now and again, but other than that.....nada problem with any of the above listed!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I was hopin I'd get some help sorting it out from you guys!!:): I honestly didn't intend on starting flame war, just opinions.
    The $300 budget would be ideal, but just depends on what comes up with my funds.
    That being said, I would like to carry it in pocket somewhere, but not sure which.....front side opposite my primary carry??
    Would carrying one in the back pocket, opposite my wallet be risky...pick pockets etc.?
    I wear a jean jacket alot, and it has some nice inside pockets that'd be ideal to conceal a small pistol of somekind also....
    I know there's several options, but just wanted to know what you guys found that works in real life, with comfort in mind etc.
    I've considered ankle carry, but with the boots I wear it'd be nearly impossible....unless I wear it on the outside!

You can't get the gun out of your jean pocket quick, I would have the gun in a holster:twocents:

jthom19802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I would head to your local gun shop and have a peek around. Caliber wise I wouldn't think you've have trouble finding plenty of selection when it comes to .380 and your budget. You can also easily find a CC inside the pant holster for $15.

Personally I prefer to carry a 9mm but if we're talking strictly a backup for an emergency type situation, you don't need much more than .22 or .380. It is - naturally - all a matter of preference though.

I would suggest a specific .380 to you but mine is more than $300 :dunno:

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    The Bodyguard hasn't gotten much love here. It can be purchased new for $329 and that includes the intragrated laser. I like mine, but shooting 6 +1 and reloading becasue you can't find spare mags is getting old.

jthom19802

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    The Bodyguard hasn't gotten much love here. It can be purchased new for $329 and that includes the intragrated laser. I like mine, but shooting 6 +1 and reloading becasue you can't find spare mags is getting old.

I just bit the bullet and bought one directly from S&W. Obviously not the price I wanted to pay but as you said, getting quite old to have the one stock magazine.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    With a GLOCK, you don't need a backup

Just save yourself the money and get a couple of extra magazines to carry on you.

I would call the need for a backup gun for the average CCW holder a bit of fantasy.

I know there is a one in a million chance you might need a backup gun on you, but is that worth the expense?

"The fantasy" sells a lot of guns, knives, suppressors, etc. to people in our area of interest. Reality tends to be a bit more boring, but saves you cash!

Vanguard.45

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    Hey all! I have been considering buying some kind of "backup" pistol, and would like to know if/what you guys have....I usually carry a Glock in an OWB paddle holster, but would maybe like to get something small to have also.
    Should I get a "pocket" sized one? If so, which pocket would I put it in...in the front pocket opposite of my sidearm or in the back pocket??
    I've been looking at a Keltec Pf9 9mm, but I've heard/seen the recoil is crazy for such a small pistol.
    Maybe something similar in a smaller caliber??
    I've got some funds available, and would like to get shopping for something small this time maybe.
    Thank you for your input.
    Ps. A Glock 26 would probably be out of my price range unless I can find one used at a decent price. I've seen them Keltec Pf9 NIB for $260....

A Glock 26 is too big for a pocket gun IMHO. a KelTec P32 or similar would most likely be in your price range, since you said the G26 might be out of it. If funds were not a show stopper, the two below are great for pocket. The S&W 340 PD AirLite .357 magnum, or the Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm.

340PDR9s.jpg

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    Just save yourself the money and get a couple of extra magazines to carry on you.

I would call the need for a backup gun for the average CCW holder a bit of fantasy.

I know there is a one in a million chance you might need a backup gun on you, but is that worth the expense?

"The fantasy" sells a lot of guns, knives, suppressors, etc. to people in our area of interest. Reality tends to be a bit more boring, but saves you cash!

Vanguard.45

The only problem with a couple of extra magazines is that they aren't worth a damn if your primary handgun gets separated from you. I like extra magazines, but there is a lot to be said for a BUG too. :yesway:

jayeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    I like the LCP I have and can carry it in a pocket holster in my left or right pocket since ther is no saftey to disengage.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    By all means, try before you buy. I guarantee any INGO member here will help you out with that. Whatever you choose, remember that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    • If you want cheap, quality goes down.
    • If you want quality, price goes up.
    • If you want small, capacity goes down.
    • If you want heavier, size goes up.
    • If you want lighter, recoil goes up.
    • If you want managability, punch goes down.
    • If you want more punch, recoil goes up.
    • If recoil goes up, speed and accuracy suffer.
    Granted, there are exceptions (especially in the cost department) but for the most part, you can not change the laws of physics. You get the picture. Balance your needs and choose wisely.

Now, for my :twocents: .... If I'm going for my BUG, it means something has gone seriously wrong. The last thing I need to worry about is an underperforming caliber or finicky gun. I carry a shrouded hammer J-Frame.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    An older friend of mine carries the Kel-Tec P-32 and loves it, practically weighs nothing. I owned a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm and that was the worst recoil out of a firearm I've personally encountered, but I haven't shot every gun out there either. The P-32 is a good low weight and small size option that Kel-Tec is known for and I think you can pick them up fairly cheap.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a keltec P-32, have shot the pf9 and the .380 kels. they all worked fine and shot decent. For the money and service I prefer a airweight .38 for pocket carry. That being said my Kahr CW9 is my main carry and the kel-tec is a back up.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Certainly not arguing that point

The only problem with a couple of extra magazines is that they aren't worth a damn if your primary handgun gets separated from you. I like extra magazines, but there is a lot to be said for a BUG too. :yesway:

I agree if you get separated from your primary, then it's good to have a backup, but for the average CCW holder, how often is this occurring? Anyone here have any tales of this happening (non-LEO)? Have you had your gun taken from you in an incident or had a malfunction and needed to transition to a BUG? I know police sometimes have this happen, but they run TOWARD incidents every day they are at work. Most CCWs NEVER draw their weapon in a lifetime, much less need a BUG.

Also, let's say you're in a tussle with someone (also a fantasy for most people most of the time) where you are NOT legally authorized to draw your weapon since the level of force coming at you is not lethal.

With a BUG, now you have TWO guns to defend. If you are assuming there is a decent chance for a person carrying one primary gun to have it taken or somehow "be separated from" it during a confrontation, wouldn't it double the chances of having a gun taken by having two guns on you? Most people on this forum have never been trained in gun retention, and I don't know of too many people anywhere trained in defending TWO guns??

You also now have to conceal two firearms whereas many folks are often lucky to be carrying one due to the inconvenience, improper clothing, it weighs too much, or whatever, right? And if you do carry two guns, you either look like RoboCop, a sack of potatoes, or you "clink" when you walk (or feel like you should be).

I just think that for most people, the likelihood of ever needing a gun for defense is slim, much less that they're going to be needing a second one due to the malfunction or loss of their primary. Again, it is the fantasy being sold and not the likely reality.

Having said that, I do carry a weapon every day, and sometimes carry extra mags. Also, if you are a uniformed LEO, then an authorized BUG is a prudent piece of kit.

Just my opinion, and not trying to disrespect your opinion. Trying to save the original poster some green.

Maybe something the OP would benefit from is knowing how many INGOers actually carry a BUG on a daily basis (non-LEO in uniform). Then he can decide if it's worth his money to actually invest in one.

I'll start:

As a former police officer, I carried a back up knife in case someone was trying to get my gun, and never carried a backup gun off duty. Today, I carry a back up knife or strong ball poing pen as a backup to my primary (I am non-uniformed LEO) and never carry a BUG off duty.

Vanguard..45

Last edited:
    Top Bottom