• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Anybody know or have any recommendations for public land that allows backcountry camping (Not car camping or camping sites) and allows fishing, hunting and fires?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Thanks Outlaw, looks like the Charles Deam Wilderness area at Hoosier National is what I'm looing for. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should be good to carry there even though its a National Forest right? It says that it is managed by the US Forest Service but no mention of Army Corps of Engineers.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks Outlaw, looks like the Charles Deam Wilderness area at Hoosier National is what I'm looing for. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should be good to carry there even though its a National Forest right? It says that it is managed by the US Forest Service but no mention of Army Corps of Engineers.
    Yes you can carry there, just be careful where you go if you get close to Lake Monroe. Lake Monroe is ACOE managed so that's a no-go.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your good to go in HNF. I've been goin there for nearly 10 years now and do all of the above. As long as your legal, your good.
    And HNF is georgous! Have fun!

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I was also curious about this. A friend and I want to try out our survival skills and our BOB. What are the allowances of this park?

We wouldnt be cutting down trees or anything like that but maybe small saplings for building shelters, fishing, and small game trapping. Would that stuff be legal? Or would i have to get permits or something for that?

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see people that have done that quite a bit actually. I don't know if it's allowed but it sure makes the area ugly. The way to go into an area like that is to LEAVE NO TRACE. If your gonna do that stuff, in this Marines opinion, do it in your back yard hoss.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Roger that. There's tons of places off trail that you could try that out. Or even try Morgan-Monroe st Forrest, just south of martinsville on 37s. There's some nice trails there and you can do all of the above as well

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Anybody know or have any recommendations for public land that allows backcountry camping (Not car camping or camping sites) and allows fishing, hunting and fires?

Try the Deam property. Grubb Ridge Trail will give you plenty of spots to backcountry camp. Hike out to Patton Cave, although I believe it is posted as closed for some kind of bat disease. Lots of spots overlooking Lake Monroe too. I've hiked back in there 2x. It's also far enough back in there that you don't get the crazy IU students whooping it up. (How far would you carry a cooler full of beer?)

If you have a boat you can pull back into the bay just west of Patton Cave and walk up to the cave, about a 1/8 of a mile or so ...it is easy to miss so get yourself lined up before you hit the woods. Good Luck!

Last edited:

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like to park at the ritetower and take the sycamore N/NE to campsite 4 where theres a bench someone made out of downed trees. Good fire pit and it's right next to water. Good trails up the rigde and to the east too.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    (How far would you carry a cooler full of beer?)
    Not far, but a flask of wiskey is lighter! ;)

The Deam property sounds like a place I need to check out. I'm looking to pack in and setup camp in a secluded area.

As for carrying and Monroe Lake being ACoE; what are my boundries? Am I good as long as I don't jump into the lake?

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At a majority of the campsites around the resv. you may be able to find Army Corps of Engineers markers. As long as you stay away from those, I believe your GTG

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Back in WV, I called this area my backyard. I miss it.

Yeah, we've seen THAT place before... Don't tell us this is you. :):

duelingbanjos.jpg

Now THERE'S someplace to test your survival skills I'm tellin' ya.

Last edited:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    One of my boys and I have hiked sections of the Knobstone Trail. Absolutely there are spots where you can get back in there a couple of ridges and hollows away from the trailheads. Not here any other manmade sounds except for a plane or chopper overhead. Go to indianaoutfitters.com. They have lots of info about the Knobstone. I like the section from Elk Creek. You can camp right near that pond or hike back into the hills. My son and I did a "stealth night" and hiked back in about a 11/2 miles, went off the trail a few hundred yards and set up camp. Hung our hennessey hammocks at angles so our heads were close. I would be lying if I didn't say it was a little spooky. Car camping in a modern campground will spoil you!

We did take a .22 pistol and rifle and plinked a little, but mostly just enjoyed being out... Late spring was nice. Not too hot, skeeters were not a big problem. Ticks--- check your self out! 15 year old had one on his "nads" :D he still talks about that!

Top Bottom