• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    One of my boys and I have hiked sections of the Knobstone Trail. Absolutely there are spots where you can get back in there a couple of ridges and hollows away from the trailheads. Not here any other manmade sounds except for a plane or chopper overhead. Go to indianaoutfitters.com. They have lots of info about the Knobstone. I like the section from Elk Creek. You can camp right near that pond or hike back into the hills. My son and I did a "stealth night" and hiked back in about a 11/2 miles, went off the trail a few hundred yards and set up camp. Hung our hennessey hammocks at angles so our heads were close. I would be lying if I didn't say it was a little spooky. Car camping in a modern campground will spoil you!

We did take a .22 pistol and rifle and plinked a little, but mostly just enjoyed being out... Late spring was nice. Not too hot, skeeters were not a big problem. Ticks--- check your self out! 15 year old had one on his "nads" :D he still talks about that!

So you can shoot at Knobstone too?! What are the restictions on this and what not?

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I do most of my treks in Charles Deam, Yellowood, and Hoosier Nation forest. +1 for the "leave no trace" method of camping/hiking. Just spent the day with one of my grand kids cleaning up around Crooked Creek lake and Monroe Properties. Some people live and play like slobs. Plastic bottles, beer bottles, plastic wrap, cigarette butts/wrappers, bait containers, old shoes, and other trash was the loot we took away today. Please be respectful of our public lands. Good hiking & camping.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    So you can shoot at Knobstone too?! What are the restictions on this and what not?

I'm not exactly sure about "rules". I know that in itself sounds bad. Much of the trail runs through Jackson State Forest, so, technically, one could be squirrel hunting or whatever. We shot maybe 50 rds or so over 2 days. I've always felt like if you shoot too much you will draw attention to yourself and the next thing will be a DNR gent coming up the trail on a quadrunner. And, he's not gonna just say "hi" either. Think $$ fine, or worse.

I would really check around for the regs on weapons/firearms, etc, on the KT... Our main goal was to just hike and make a primitive camp, cook on our little alcohol stoves, and take in the silence. I always forget how dark the woods get...I mean black! My son felt "roughing it" is leaving his cell phone turned off. (Down in the hollows there is no signal. Ridges were OK)

Kids don't get enough of that these days unless they live on a farm. There is just too much other fun/stimulating things to do. I had grandparents with land in southern Indiana and spent many days just walking the woods with a .22 when I was a teen. Spent 23 years in the Army with much of that time "in the field" doing Army stuff. It was a blast. So I try to give my guys that exposure.

My oldest is 22 and heading down to somewhere around Muskatatuck to do some rock climbing this weekend. His group will camp somewhere. He has all the climbing gear, etc. I think that is very cool.......

Anyway, there are many "wild" areas to go experience here in Indiana with many within a 2 hour drive of Indianapolis. Ya just have to get up and go!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    You are not allowed to the shoot on the KT. The trail is on Forestry property and hunting is allowed, but only during the right season. Target and plinking is only allowed at shooting ranges.
    You are allowed to carry while on the trail.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Knobstone Trail is fun to hike. Total length is a little over 50 miles. Good trainer for the AT. Unfortunately there are parts that were built by well-meaning and enthusiastic people that were unfamiliar with the proper method of winding up a hill so the trail goes straight up it instead. I think they have been trying to replace sections with switchbacks to improve those areas and reduce erosion. Water can be scarce along some stretches in the summer. Some people cache water in advance where the trail comes near a road.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    +1 on Deam. It's a great area and not too difficult of a hike. We've been camping there 4-5 times over the past year.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    The HNF allows "primitive" camping and target shooting almost everywhere, with some restrictions. The latest maps are highly recommended since in some places one side of the road is legal for camping and the other side is not. The Deam area does not allow target shooting. Most of the HNF does if you are not within 150 yards of a residence or any place where people are likely to be (such as a trail, etc...).

Standing live or dead trees are not allowed for firewood use. Dead, downed material can be used for small, open fires in the HNF.

Get a recent map and ask for a copy of "Rules and Regulations" (one sheet flyer), and info on Deam (also one sheet flyer w map on reverse side) here:

Hoosier National Forest
    811 Constitution Avenue
    Bedford, IN 47421
    Toll Free: 1.866.302.4173
    www DOT fs DOT fed DOT us/r9/hoosier

Federal relay number for the deaf and hearing impaired: 1.800.877.8339

They have a detailed "trails illustrated map" for around $15 that is well worth the cost if you do much hiking and camping in the HNF. Mine seems to be mostly waterproof.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I backpack at Deam all the time. It is a great place but please pick up after yourself. I'm amazed at all the trash EVERYWHERE. I always try to take out more trash then I create while in.

Camping off trail is GTG (it is the best way) but no target shooting is allowed. Carry is GTG and I do it every time I am there.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Bothers the hell out of me when your out in the 'middle of nowhere' to find popcans, beer bottles, etc... Is it that hard to pick up your own damn trash?

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Back Country Experience

Harrison Crawford State Forest, Great country near Indian Creek loaded full of smallies, plenty of turkey and deer in the area. The creek is a tributary to the Ohio River. Near Corydon Indiana. Make sure you study a topo of the area before putting to much thought into what looks like a great area to camp. Please Leave no Trace.

Top Bottom