• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was at a LGS recently and there was a guy in there that was acting a bit odd about the background check. I only heard parts of the conversation but after a few minutes he told the proprietor to "Go ahead and give it a try". The shopkeeper told the customer there would be a $5 fee to call to check him out. I think that the shop owner thought that the guy would not pass the check and didn't want to waste his time. I've never been charged a fee there. Anyway, like stated above, if we start agreeing to pay the $2 fee pretty soon everywhere will be doing it and then it will be $5, then 10, then 20, etc. That is if we can still have guns after the next election. Mrs G is correct though, showing guns, answering questions and calling in checks should be considered part of doing business and be reflected in the price of the gun and not add on fees. The $2 fee is something akin the the ridiculous "Dealer Fees" that car dealerships throw at you after you've negotiated for the price of a car.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Could that be considered theft?

In House Lawyers, a little help here.. Thanks.

Doubtful. The likelihood of Big R charging you for a firearm sale + a background check without having a successful background check being passed through doesn't seem like a sale at all.

Unless you have to hand over $2 to have the background check done :dunno:

I'm a computer operator, not a lawyer =P. I just see it as if no sale, no pay. But I see your point completely here. If Big R has a policy stating $2 for background checks, wether approve or deny the background check was performed and one could assume the $2 should have been paid.

Good, see that is another reason I dont like big retailers. Fibbers.(Big R)
    Another reason to support the Mom and Pops gun stores. Screw chain stores!

See, this is one thing I mentioned earlier. Perhaps Big R is trying to compensate a mere $2 per sale performed based simply on the fact they are not a big retail chain. They're a retail chain, but not a big one. Meaning the volume discounts other stores get likely doesn't apply in the same amount to Big-R.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was at a LGS recently and there was a guy in there that was acting a bit odd about the background check. I only heard parts of the conversation but after a few minutes he told the proprietor to "Go ahead and give it a try". The shopkeeper told the customer there would be a $5 fee to call to check him out. I think that the shop owner thought that the guy would not pass the check and didn't want to waste his time. I've never been charged a fee there. Anyway, like stated above, if we start agreeing to pay the $2 fee pretty soon everywhere will be doing it and then it will be $5, then 10, then 20, etc. That is if we can still have guns after the next election. Mrs G is correct though, showing guns, answering questions and calling in checks should be considered part of doing business and be reflected in the price of the gun and not add on fees. The $2 fee is something akin the the ridiculous "Dealer Fees" that car dealerships throw at you after you've negotiated for the price of a car.

^ This, Just another Slippery Slope to extract fees from Gun Owners. Has anyone inquired from Big R Corporate ? I think maybe a Dissatisfaction Contact Campaign is in order.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    See, this is one thing I mentioned earlier. Perhaps Big R is trying to compensate a mere $2 per sale performed based simply on the fact they are not a big retail chain. They're a retail chain, but not a big one. Meaning the volume discounts other stores get likely doesn't apply in the same amount to Big-R.

We are not a BIG retail chain nor are we even a retail chain. We don't get volume discounts, we don't charge a $2 fee for background checks. :dunno:

I don't know why they do it, it is their policy though and if you choose to shop there, then you must pay the fee.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    NICS is a toll free call and it costs shops nothing to call and run the check on a 4473, the NICS call takes about 2 minutes maybe 5 if the first operator has to bump you to a second for "further review". if a gunshop is charging you a fee to run the background check when you took your time and money to buy a firearm from them I suggest you go to another gunshop

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have never been charged for any background check whether calling them in from my FFL, or highsmith guns.

I dont think pops even charges for it if that tells you anything.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I have never been charged for any background check whether calling them in from my FFL, or highsmith guns.

I dont think pops even charges for it if that tells you anything.

Does Don's Guns charge a background check fee?

For somebody who sells for fun, that should be an industry standard. :patriot:

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Dont know, I have never stepped foot in his store, but if i were a betting man i would say no just because it is NOT the industry standard to charge for them. You legally HAVE to do them in order to sell the guns. you have to sell the guns to make a profit. you have to make a profit to stay in business.

So, if you are legally obligated to do them, and KNOW you are going to do one on EVERY gun you sell, then it should be built into the price.

but for a big store that makes most of its money elsewhere, and selling guns is viewed as just helping the customer out, i could understand the fee mentality. but the shop is more than likely making more than 50 dollars profit on the gun anyways why not just add 2 dollars to the price? Or just not charge for it like the rest of the industry.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Purple text was implied for the typical sarcasm ;). And you seem to also see my point on a store not selling only firearms charging the fee. While we the consumer may not like it or agree with it, that's the company's decision. And we the consumer have the ability to go elsewhere.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I just got off the phone w/ the warsaw place and talked to sharon, and she told me that it was because "corporate" told her to. she wasnt rude, but was fairly short, so now i am off to find the corporate number.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    And we the consumer have the ability to go elsewhere.

And we also have the ability to complain on the internet and to our friends. By doing so we might get a large enough group of people to request a change and can get the fee returned to what the industry standard is... 0

I agree we can just go somewhere else, but you and i dont have the same mentality. If i see something i dont like, i will at least TRY to change it, or at least let the store know i didnt like it.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    ...I don't think you're seeing it from the standpoint of Big R. They're a small, somewhat dying chain...

Actually, they are not.

See: About Us

See: FAQ
    (second question)

The $2.00 fee is nonsense. Any costs should be rolled into the price. Rolling it in may not lessen the cost but it was already probably rolled in and it was then added on top to get more money. There is not much that most businesses won't do for an extra buck.

:cool:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I agree we can just go somewhere else, but you and i dont have the same mentality. If i see something i dont like, i will at least TRY to change it, or at least let the store know i didnt like it.

That's fine. You and I apparently do have a different mentality.

When I go to a gas station, I suck it up and pay the high cost of fuel rather than question the fuel station attendant why it's so damned high :dunno:. It all depends on location, cost, and convenience.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Purple text was implied for the typical sarcasm ;). And you seem to also see my point on a store not selling only firearms charging the fee. While we the consumer may not like it or agree with it, that's the company's decision. And we the consumer have the ability to go elsewhere.

I do see you point, i do NOT agree with it.

hows is this, I am a service based business and NOT a retail business. now for my purple

JUST IN.... indygunworks will do transfers for 10 dollars (but when you get here i have a sign saying i charge 25 for the background check. Dont like it, i dont have to do the background check and can send it back to where you purchased it so you can have it sent somewhere else.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Not to get too far off subject, but years ago, I recall something related to an added charge when purchasing a handgun without a LTCH.

Top Bottom