• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    It is very common to forget about criminal cases. Haze of time, haze of drugs, precatory memory interference, inter alia.

I applaud the OP for wanting to be accurate. Smart move.

Call the Office of the Clerk of the counties where you were arrested. They should be able to help you out (8AM-5PM).

You want the "CCS" (Chronological Case Summary) for each case (if the case was filed). They may refer to the CCS as the "docket" too. It need not be certified for right now.

You may have to pay to have them e-mail or mail to you. Worth it if you do not know.

The CCS will have the cause number, the initial charges, what you pled or were convicted of, and the sentencing order, or the withhold prosecution or the dismissal order.

Yea, but to not know you are a convicted felon or not? That's a pretty big detail to forget or not be sure of.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's a good sign. Any more voluntary subjection to InGO's holier than thou- ness would indicate he was a masochist. His stock has gone up in my eyes for having the awareness to know the sharks smelled blood.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yea, but to not know you are a convicted felon or not? That's a pretty big detail to forget or not be sure of.

Well, Spark, at the risk of sounding like a defense attorney (I tell women in bars that I am a thoracic surgeon), if one is not into guns, then the felony conviction, in itself, does not matter if you are not in jail or prison.

So, say you go down for a D like Maintaining for growing a dope plant in your dorm room or Dealing Dope in undergrad for giving a buddy a bag as a favor at a large university in Tippecanoe County, 20 years later you want to get into skeet shooting and go to Gander Mountain to buy a gun but are denied. If guns were never important to you until you were 43 and you got your conviction at 19, then yeah, it can happen.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Well, Spark, at the risk of sounding like a defense attorney (I tell women in bars that I am a thoracic surgeon), if one is not into guns, then the felony conviction, in itself, does not matter if you are not in jail or prison.

So, say you go down for a D like Maintaining for growing a dope plant in your dorm room or Dealing Dope in undergrad for giving a buddy a bag as a favor at a large university in Tippecanoe County, 20 years later you want to get into skeet shooting and go to Gander Mountain to buy a gun but are denied. If guns were never important to you until you were 43 and you got your conviction at 19, then yeah, it can happen.

Being a felon pops up more in your job life than for things like guns. It is asked on virtually all applications and even if you don't know and answer no you're likely to hear "I'm sorry, but we found a felony record in your background check". Besides, even if I was 70 years old and was convicted of a felony at 18 I'm pretty sure I'd remember unless I have severe memory loss.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The court process can be confusing, one can be arrested for felonies and have them plead down to misdemeanors, or have a deal that the felonies are reduced after sentence served. Add in the fact that the op is relating events that happened 20 yrs ago and I can buy that he might not know. Maybe he didn't pay attention to the details and just did what his lawyer told him? idk for sure but I will say congrats on makin better choices and not getting arrested anymore!:patriot:

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah I can relate to the OP. I grew up in Chicago Heights and have been arrested a ton of times I will be going to the police station tomorrow in IL to file some paperwork to get my rap sheet. 6 week plus process and im not even sure if they will let me copy any of it afterwards. I can not even begin to remember what each arrest was for. Also it is confusing, sometimes I would just get arrested and dropped off at home and sometimes I would go to the local jail and stay. Sometimes I would get a ticket sometimes a court date. Most of these where B4 I was 18 do they want those as well. On the LTCH form do they want to know all of them and what is and is not recorded by the police and what not. I have not applied for my LTCH for the same reason lack of knowing exactly what I was arrested for as. Mind u I do know that I have NO Felony's though.

Top Bottom