• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I'm looking for a shotgun in the 20 gauge range that can either fold in half or can be broken down when I go camping. It will largely be used for hunting small game (or bigger game if we get lucky) and defense.

I had a 410 over/under that when broken open would fold over itself in half. This made it more compact so much so that I could fit it in the side pocket of my pack. I'm looking for its replacement.

Anyone have idea on one?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Depends on your budget. For a gun that hunts and does defense it is hard to beat a Winchester model 12 due to the way it breaks down. You can also cut the barrel down to 18" to Make it more compact. And you get more then 2 shots.

If you just want a beater and two shots are enough the Stoeger Outback O/U is a good choice with 20" barrels or any of their shorter doubles.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have owned a couple of Italian made shotguns that folded nearly in half. Some are marked "Beretta" and I believe they were marketed as single trap guns. Handy packages...good quality.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Not trying to cause problems, but why are you limiting yourself to something that you can hide?

It's not about hiding anything. It's about weight and packability. My 410 was sticking out of the side pocket for everyone to see. If you're humping a ruck for 10 miles a day, weight and comfort start having a high priority for you. Don't want to walk that distance with a shotgun in my hands. I had enough of that in my 11 Bravo days...plus it might scare the straights!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Khan folding shotgun;

DSCN0807w2.jpg

;)

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Savage 24 "C" (campers version) is a pretty touch act to follow if you can find one, the quality is there for serious field use. Any of the 24's will take down easily for pack carry but the C stores ammo in the stock.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    That Tristar folds a lot like my 410.

I've got a NEF single shot 20 gauge. It doesn't crack open fully like some single shots. I wonder if it breaks a part well.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    That Tristar folds a lot like my 410.

I've got a NEF single shot 20 gauge. It doesn't crack open fully like some single shots. I wonder if it breaks a part well.
    if it has a screw it will but you need a screwdriver and i dont know if you want to risk loosing a screw in the field, the older models just pull off and break apart. well my sixteen does but 410 has the screw in the forend

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    The NEF single shot has the screw in the forend. It was easy enough to break it down with the leatherman I always have on my hip (next to my XD). I'd be a little worried about losing the screw too, but pretty confident in my abilities. Plus I might paint it bright orange just in case I get the case of butterfingers.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    The NEF single shot has the screw in the forend. It was easy enough to break it down with the leatherman I always have on my hip (next to my XD). I'd be a little worried about losing the screw too, but pretty confident in my abilities. Plus I might paint it bright orange just in case I get the case of butterfingers.
    not a bad idea, i hunt yard sales for single shot shotguns and about any where else, if you can find a bit older one like my 16 which is a model 158 topper, oh you could run the screw back in to the forend and wrap some tape around it to keep it there.

Last edited:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've got an old Leinad .410 SXS that folds up real small, but that's .410 and they are not made anymore. The 18" barrel thing limits you. Were it me, I'd seek out an old H&R or such, cut the barrel back to just above the limit, prune the buttstock down some and the forearm, put a thumbscrew type screw in the forearm with a screw retainer (easy to do) and maybe even have choke tubes put in it. Broken completely down it would be a somewhat small package. There was a recent article in Backwoods Magazine where a fellow done just that. BTW, the way most of these single shots are made today, there may be very little difference in weight from a 20ga to a 12ga

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My 20" H&R m48 will break down into a backpack. If you are worried about losing the screw you could solder or weld a washer to it and make a thumb screw and run some line through it to retain it to the gun.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My 20" H&R m48 will break down into a backpack. If you are worried about losing the screw you could solder or weld a washer to it and make a thumb screw and run some line through it to retain it to the gun.

That is a great ideal Ethan. You are a clever fellow. With my fumble fingers I'd loose it for sure.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    rossi 22/20 matched pair combo will break down pretty small and comes with a 20g and a 22lr bbl so you could take the small game with 22 and save the heavier 20g for larger and defensive purposes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    rossi 22/20 matched pair combo will break down pretty small and comes with a 20g and a 22lr bbl so you could take the small game with 22 and save the heavier 20g for larger and defensive purposes.

If you're talking single-shots, I have a Rossi matched pair pistol in .22Lr/.410.

It's exactly the same thing as the matched pair rifle, but with a pistol grip instead of a butt stock, and it has 11" barrels.
    It will shoot .410 (2-1/2"), .45Colt or .22Lr, has thumb screw that is retained in the forearm, and the .410 barrel has a screw-in choke.

I've taken a couple of squirrels with it.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Making a captured forearm screw is very easy to do. Stick the thumbscrew thru the forearm mark the bottom of the threads showing, file a ring around it, snap on a c ring. Done. I'm going to dissent a bit on some of the guns suggested. Savage 24C ? Too darned heavy, even in the synthetic stock configuration. Combo guns ? Again, more weight than needed. Remember, he's backpacking and weight is of a consequence . My Leinad double barrel is a skeleton gun and very light. Again they don't make them anymore so what's out there. The .410 has been working for you, why change ? The Rossi .410 is very light and handles 3" shells. If he's carrying it for small game and maybe a bit of personal protection, it's all he would need. My grandson has killed a lot of squirrels with his and quite frankly they are the toughest small game out there. Carry a few #4 maybe a couple #6 and a couple slugs. If you are hunting for sustenance , I'll take the shotgun every time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom