• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My oldest son and I spent 4 days in the Deam Wilderness backpacking and testing out our tech and skills. We were prepared to hunt and gather and roam off trail. Some things we learned:

1. The pine branch water filter is extremely slow and requires a live pine branch, not dead or "mostly dead."

2. Fresh frog legs are delicious.

3. Ripe pawpaws are also delicious, as are persimmons, and fresh sassafras tea.

4. American chestnuts are tasty (if you can find any) and are even better roasted on an open fire. We planted a number in various places along our hike.

5. Soaking chestnut oak acorns and certain (probably bitternut) hickory nuts for several days in several changes of water will not always render them edible.

6. Chiggers suck.

7. Multiflora rose hips are not so great this early in the season, and are full of seeds.

8. Spicebush berries are a great pick-me-up on the trail.

9. Chiggers really suck.

10. Multifuel stove, solo stove and army surplus solid fuel stove all worked adequately, though it seems the multifuel stove needs a new gasket on the intake and more spring tension on the striker.

11. My sense of direction is not as good as I formerly believed. Though we didn't stay lost for long.

12. The AR7 worked great - too bad the first clear squirrel sighting was on our drive out.

13. The plastic trowel from Walmart is just what you'd expect, and didn't even survive the first day.

14. Sawyer 30% DEET lotion is inadequate to repel chiggers.

15. Wool socks powerfully attract various sticky seeds.

16. Titanium cookware is really nice, really light, and really expensive.

17. All our water purification processes worked - no one got sick, though we did have medicine along for that.

18. Owls can be pretty noisy.

19. Did I mention that chiggers suck?

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Acorn Processing part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUTERncZ3g

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KFnvbXzHQ

Part 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJvU9UYcIXw

Acorns are better for baking and making things like Bannock and coffee, though they are edible after soaking. They go really good with roasted chicory and dandelion root. Also some oaks are better than others due to tannic acid content, which makes them bitter.

**** chiggers! And yes fresh sassafras tea is amazing, did you use root or bark or twig? For really strong Sassafras tea, in the spring when the sap is up, dig up a sassafras sapling and take the root and prepare the same way. The tea comes out a dark red and almost tastes like spiced licorice. Really good lessons learned it sounds like, and I'm glad you guys overall had a good time.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I did a trip there a few weeks ago with my group. There were 5 of us and we had a blast.

The mosquitoes near the marshy side of the lake near tower road were horrible. I got eaten alive. My normal deep woods off was not cutting it. Someone brought some Sawyer 98% pure deet, and that stuff was absolutely amazing. Once someone got hosed down with it, there wasn't a bug in sight.

We also did not see a single solitary squirrel all 3 days we were out there. Saw a lot of Turkeys though.

We were all hammock camping, so chiggers were less likely to invade us.

You should try geo-caching there. There's stuff buried all over the woods.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    My oldest son and I spent 4 days in the Deam Wilderness backpacking and testing out our tech and skills. We were prepared to hunt and gather and roam off trail. Some things we learned:

1. The pine branch water filter is extremely slow and requires a live pine branch, not dead or "mostly dead."

2. Fresh frog legs are delicious.

3. Ripe pawpaws are also delicious, as are persimmons, and fresh sassafras tea.

4. American chestnuts are tasty (if you can find any) and are even better roasted on an open fire. We planted a number in various places along our hike.

5. Soaking chestnut oak acorns and certain (probably bitternut) hickory nuts for several days in several changes of water will not always render them edible.

6. Chiggers suck.

7. Multiflora rose hips are not so great this early in the season, and are full of seeds.

8. Spicebush berries are a great pick-me-up on the trail.

9. Chiggers really suck.

10. Multifuel stove, solo stove and army surplus solid fuel stove all worked adequately, though it seems the multifuel stove needs a new gasket on the intake and more spring tension on the striker.

11. My sense of direction is not as good as I formerly believed. Though we didn't stay lost for long.

12. The AR7 worked great - too bad the first clear squirrel sighting was on our drive out.

13. The plastic trowel from Walmart is just what you'd expect, and didn't even survive the first day.

14. Sawyer 30% DEET lotion is inadequate to repel chiggers.

15. Wool socks powerfully attract various sticky seeds.

16. Titanium cookware is really nice, really light, and really expensive.

17. All our water purification processes worked - no one got sick, though we did have medicine along for that.

18. Owls can be pretty noisy.

19. Did I mention that chiggers suck?

Good work, wish I had more time to do this sort of testing. On your trowel woes, check Lawson - I just saw this one in an email. I have purchased from him a few times and have always been happy with the prices and pieces (bp grill, sleep pad .250").

Little Deuce Scoop Titanium Potty Trowel at LawsonEquipment.com

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great write up and AAR. Thanks for sharing. I just got back from the Daniel Boone National Forest doing the same thing. No chiggers though. I'm glad. I understand they suck.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

I've never gotten chiggers when I wear long pants, and have my shirt tucked in. (My one and only bad, horrible case was picking berries in a crop top and shorts. Never again).

But from what you all are saying, it sounds like you got them everywhere ?? Oh man that could ruin my day .... or actually my whole month.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I was in shorts. If it's above 50 degrees and the plan is to stay on trails, I'm probably hiking in a pair instead of long pants. I decided to bushwack for a better campsite along the lake and then spent an hour on multiple trips to scrounge dead wood for a camp fire. Dumb move that I paid for over and over during the entire month of August.

Chiggers will get on you and then head for areas where your clothes are snug to your body, like your waistband or the tops of your boots. I had a few underachievers that never left my shins, but the majority ended up camping out around my ankles.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Way to go OP!

The wife and I spend 3 days camping off trail, and hunting the Deam Wilderness about two weeks ago. It was a blast.

We had the same issues with hunting squirrels - saw two on the pack in, and then didn't see hide nor hair of them for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for mentioning the spice berries - I saw lots of them, but I didn't know what they were. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Chigger update:
    Some of these still itch 3 weeks later
    Something that helps: Bactine with 2% lidocaine. Tames the itch a little and fights infection in case I scratch while asleep.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    A super hot shower and running the hottest water I could stand on my ankles, where the bites were the worst, would let me sleep for about 6-7 hours at a stretch. Those things are the worst.

Top Bottom