• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I am getting ready for a several day "wilderness" backpackng trip at Hoosier Natl Forest. I am looking for ideas for carrying my glock 23 while backpacking. Normally I carry in a blackhawk serpa but that wont work. I'd like to keep it accessible but not sure if I want to go all thigh rig. I have already dropped serious coin on the lightweight campng gear. Any suggestions would be nice.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Many, many trail miles under my boots...

For my G20 and G29 I found that a regular paddle holster in backwards (paddle out) between the hip belt and the hip belt stabilizer strap is really good. It allows me a fast draw, easy to conceal if I need to (bandana or spare shirt over it), and when I am at camp I can wear it regularly. It puts the gun in a butt-out position ad I cannot crossdraw very readily, but a little practice has me slide my hand in palm out to draw normally. I have other holsters that thread through the stabilizer strap but in a few thousand miles of hiking I keep coming back to that paddle-out when I am carrying a full sized gun. Normally if 2 legged predators are my primary concern (90% of the time) then I carry my LCP on a small pouch on the hipbelt.

Last edited:

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Check out Hill People Gear. I've had the snubby about a year now. It's awesome. Just enough room for pistol, spare mag, phone or camera and a compass. There are other bigger models. I like that I can drop my pack for breaks and stuff and still have the essentials on me.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Good question. I've just mashed my 1911 (Galco Fletch holster) under the hipstrap. Not very comfortable, but not unbearable. I wouldn't want to draw it quickly either. Looks like I need more gear! Hill People, here I come!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My preference for comfort is an OWB belt holster. If hiking in moderate warm weather you're likely going to be in short sleeves and a OWB belt holster would not be covered and would be accessible. They're also an economical option compared to other holster types.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I use an internal frame pack and I have rigged it so my OWB is attached to the bottom of the pack. All I have to do is reach back.

Top Bottom