• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    mammynunswife, hopefully I have something to contribute... I am an Eagle Scout and have been a scout leader in several troops over the last 20 years, currently a Scoutmaster, but I have done it all.

Start small with a few "shakedown" hikes fully packed. 5 miles is plently with a full pack. Half of the teens and most of the adults won't be in shape to do the 5 miles without being exhausted. Half hour daily walks in your hiking shoes will build up callouses and prevent blisters on the trail, and stamina. After each "shakedown" trip make notes of what you used and didn't use, and what can be shared, and make adjustments for the next outing. Not eveyone needs to carry a saw and hatchet or a big cook kit.

A good pack that fits is key. I can't stress it enough. Most can be adjusted, but many parents buy their kids a pack that they can "grow into". Since you're talking about Venture Scouts, they're pretty close to done. Alps Mountaineering has some great offers for scouts.

Water is heavy. So carry as little as possible. 2 quarts minimum per person per day for drinking, plus enough for cooking and washing. That's more water than you probably want to carry, so know where the water stops are before heading out; plan your route accordingly. Take purifying methods and a backup (chlorine/iodine tablets in addition to a good filter). One filter is enough for the whole group. Check the specs on your filter - most of them aren't sufficient alone and you must still use the tablets. Check out "PolarPure". Avoid creek water -- too many chemicals in the runoff.

Canned food has a lot of water and is heavy. Steel cans are heavy too, and eveything that's packed in must be packed out. There's a reason they make freeze dried backpacking meals.

Ramen is light but takes up lots of space. Look at noodle soup packets. Spaghetti and things like Rice a Roni take up less space, but use too much fuel to cook. I recommend "instant" boil in the bag rice. Dried fruits are EXCELLENT, high in complex carbs, and you will want to carb load everyone at every meal. Nuts have fats and protein. Both nuts and dried fruit are nutrient and energy dense foods. But you will be hiking - focus the bulk of the calories on carbs. (Teen boys will want 3000-4000 calories per day when hiking, when I was in high school sports 2.5 hours of practice per day, I was 6'3" and weighed 165 pounds, a beanpole, and ate 4000-5000 calories, but I was the exception.) The more protein you eat the more water you need to drink to digest it. Most people plan too much protein. One 6 oz. can of tuna, eaten with other foods, will supply the average adult with all the protein (s)he needs for a day.

Get a topo map of the area and make sure everyone is trained in map and compass skills.

Change socks halfway through the day, wash out the used ones and hang them on your pack to dry.

Last edited:

mammynunswife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    mammynunswife, hopefully I have something to contribute... I am an Eagle Scout and have been a scout leader in several troops over the last 20 years, currently a Scoutmaster, but I have done it all.

Start small with a few "shakedown" hikes fully packed. 5 miles is plently with a full pack. Half of the teens and most of the adults won't be in shape to do the 5 miles without being exhausted. Half hour daily walks in your hiking shoes will build up callouses and prevent blisters on the trail, and stamina. After each "shakedown" trip make notes of what you used and didn't use, and what can be shared, and make adjustments for the next outing. Not eveyone needs to carry a saw and hatchet or a big cook kit.

A good pack that fits is key. I can't stress it enough. Most can be adjusted, but many parents buy their kids a pack that they can "grow into". Since you're talking about Venture Scouts, they're pretty close to done. Alps Mountaineering has some great offers for scouts.

Water is heavy. So carry as little as possible. 2 quarts minimum per person per day for drinking, plus enough for cooking and washing. That's more water than you probably want to carry, so know where the water stops are before heading out; plan your route accordingly. Take purifying methods and a backup (chlorine/iodine tablets in addition to a good filter). One filter is enough for the whole group. Check the specs on your filter - most of them aren't sufficient alone and you must still use the tablets. Check out "PolarPure". Avoid creek water -- too many chemicals in the runoff.

Canned food has a lot of water and is heavy. Steel cans are heavy too, and eveything that's packed in must be packed out. There's a reason they make freeze dried backpacking meals.

Ramen is light but takes up lots of space. Look at noodle soup packets. Spaghetti and things like Rice a Roni take up less space, but use too much fuel to cook. I recommend "instant" boil in the bag rice. Dried fruits are EXCELLENT, high in complex carbs, and you will want to carb load everyone at every meal. Nuts have fats and protein. Both nuts and dried fruit are nutrient and energy dense foods. But you will be hiking - focus the bulk of the calories on carbs. (Teen boys will want 3000-4000 calories per day when hiking, when I was in high school sports 2.5 hours of practice per day, I was 6'3" and weighed 165 pounds, a beanpole, and ate 4000-5000 calories, but I was the exception.) The more protein you eat the more water you need to drink to digest it. Most people plan too much protein. One 6 oz. can of tuna, eaten with other foods, will supply the average adult with all the protein (s)he needs for a day.

Get a topo map of the area and make sure everyone is trained in map and compass skills.

Change socks halfway through the day, wash out the used ones and hang them on your pack to dry.

Thank you Kludge! This is great info! I hope this will be a fun outing for us all! Since this is our first trip we decided to stay at a campsite Friday night, take the kids zip lining Saturday morning, then just doing a short 2 to 5 mile hike into the gorge and make camp there for the night. Then we'll pack out Sunday morning. We figured a trip short in duration would be best since this is our first backpacking trip as a crew.
    I'm a little nervous about the rattlesnakes, cougars, bears and God only knows what! On that note, I'm looking forward to the trip. The kids will have a blast and I'm looking forward to the challenge! :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sounds like an great time, and that area is gorge-ous! It's surprising how fast the weight adds up. Don't be surprised if your pack weighs 50-70 pounds with a gallon of water.

Be aware, but don't worry about the animals...

Snakes -- walking stick just in case, but just give them a wide berth, and watch where you put your hands and feet when climbing over rocks.

Cougars and bears -- the group will be making so much noise, the chances of seeing one are almost nil.

If you're in an area with bears -- no food in tents. All the food, trash and anything that smells (lotions, soaps, etc) should be in a separate baggie in your pack that gets pulled out of everyone's pack and goes in the "bear bag" overnight. Helps with the "mini bears" too (small aminals attracted to food smells). Wash the stove and dishes, strain the dishwater and, if you are allowed to have a fire, burn the bits, or put it in the bearbag with the trash and pack it out.

Use rope to hang the bear bag between two trees at least 15 feet off the ground.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The powdered Shore Lunch brand soups at Menards taste great, make alot of soup, and only require water. Plus, they cost much less than standard freeze-dried food.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Look at the tuna packed in the foil pouches and you can also get the bacon thats in the small cardboard boxes. It doesn't need refrigerated and you can take it out of the box because it's in a vacuum sealed bag.

mammynunswife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Well today is the big day!!! We are leaving after school and heading to the Gorge!!! The kids came up with this menu for the weekend:
    Fri Dinner(at a campsite)-Hot Dogs and Chips and S'mores
    Sat Breakfast(at the campsite)-Pop Tarts and Tang
    Sat Lunch(on the trail)-Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches (I'm pretty sure the bread is going to be mangled) and Ramen
    Sat Dinner (on the trail)-Chicken Stovetop Meal (can chic, stovetop & powdered gravy)
    Sun Breakfast-poptarts AGAIN!
    Lunch-Ramen
    For snacks they bought- Nutella (YUM) ritz crackers and fruit snacks!
    The adults decided to have a seperate menu:
    Dinner Fri- Hobo Meals & S'mores
    Sat Breakfast-Oatmeal & COFFEE!!!
    Sat Lunch- Summer Sausage, Cheese and Crackers
    Sat Dinner-The stovetop chicken thingy and instant potatoes
    Sun Breakfast- Pita Bread, Peanut butter and Apples
    Lunch-Ramen Noodles and leftovers
    Thanks for all the great suggestions I don't think we will go hungry!:)

Top Bottom