• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I am installing a backstop at my father in laws place using heavy duty timbers. How tall would you folks recommend I go? I have an endless supply of timbers. Max shooting distance is 200 yards but that would be rather infrequent. 50-100 would be most common. Timbers are 8"x8"x6'.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Topography, and the quality of your shooters is everything.
    If you're shooting at enough of a decline, you really need very little height.
    My brother has a small 50 yard range in his front yard.
    Neighbors property is behind the berm by less than 200 yards, and his horse is back there too.

From the shooting position, we're probably shooting downhill about 4-5'
    He constructed a railroad tie and dirt berm only 5 feet tall, but we've never shot over the berm.

We have the grandkids/nieces/nephews... out there shooting .22's a couple of times a year, and never an issue.

I guess my point is, just know where your bullets are going to land.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    0DBA5DE9-189E-4834-9EE2-5145F0652655_zpsc2ryudcj.jpg

Its about 7' tall. 26" thick. Need a few more timbers to finish up the sides but was too lazy to go get another load. It is functional as is.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    View attachment 55961

Its about 7' tall. 26" thick. Need a few more timbers to finish up the sides but was too lazy to go get another load. It is functional as is.
    Are these used railroad ties? Do you have access to a supply or a place to purchase them from? I'm looking for a way to establish a berm at 1000 feet. I have access to soil but not much room to build a huge earthen berm because it's in a farm field.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Are these used railroad ties? Do you have access to a supply or a place to purchase them from? I'm looking for a way to establish a berm at 1000 feet. I have access to soil but not much room to build a huge earthen berm because it's in a farm field.

These arr 8"x8"x6' used guardrail posts. Much heavier duty and in better shape than railroad ties. I get them from work.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    In terms of height, i looked this up a while ago and there is some organization of ranges or something that recommended minimum height of 15'

IANAL but it seems to me that you'd be in trouble if anyone got hurt either way but maybe more trouble if you didn't meet the minimum suggested standard?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In terms of height, i looked this up a while ago and there is some organization of ranges or something that recommended minimum height of 15'

IANAL but it seems to me that you'd be in trouble if anyone got hurt either way but maybe more trouble if you didn't meet the minimum suggested standard?

I would think you've be better off if something unfortunate were to happen, if you could show you researched a suggested height and followed all the recommendations of a reputable expert or organization.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe a month, maybe 2 months ago, someone posted a link(s) with some recommended specs for shooting ranges. It was in another thread about home ranges...maybe the one about where the rounds were escaping a commercial range. But anyway, I glanced through those specs and they would make the average gun owner wince at the proposition of building something to comply with them.

Maansmit, looks like you're in pretty flat land so I don't know if it's even an option to consider moving that backstop to a spot where you have a hillside behind you, maybe where you'd be shooting downward, but that's best. I'd also advise keeping an eye on those timbers as they will disintegrate as you shoot them up.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    So I don't start another thread.. Here is my situation. I want a home range as well, but pistols only. I have 4 acres, 2 of it wooded. In the picture where it says "home" would be the back stop in the edge of the woods. Behind the woods I have 700 yds to the nearest road and house. Is the 15' height mentioned above for a rifle back stop or all back stops? If we had a wild shot it would have to go through 2 acres of trees before exiting into 700 yds of farmland. Suggestions? I am buying some rail road ties locally I can get cheap. Would I need dirt behind it as well?
    IMG_2591.png

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Frost - I think one of the recommendations was sand in front of it to catch and the ties behind as a last resort because the sand doesn't "wear out" like the wood does and is easy to replenish/top-off.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Frost - I think one of the recommendations was sand in front of it to catch and the ties behind as a last resort because the sand doesn't "wear out" like the wood does and is easy to replenish/top-off.

Using just rr ties, posts, phone poles, etc by themselves without dirt to stop the rounds sounds like a future ricochet waiting to happen. Sure, the first bunch of rounds will be absorbed nicely by the wood. But over time build up in heavily hit areas will turn into solid masses of lead and jacketing material. Think about how easily say a .22 could come back out of a pile of metal like that....

Building a "wall" with ties then filling in front of it with dirt lets you use 1/2 the material over just a tall mound....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I put up the Minnesota range construction guide in the other thread. I think it is very helpful, especially with the images.

Both the NRA and NSSF have excellent range construction guides, as well as DoD.

Ranges | National Shooting Sports Foundation

Please understand that while no one wants to take your fun away, every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. If you are building a range, then go overboard.

Top Bottom