• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

Planning on making a backstop coming this spring, one that I can actually train on. I need to know some specs, only thing I've found on INGO was way over kill. The most I plan on throwing at it will be .223/5.56 and 7.62x39. All I have to use is dirt at the moment. So what dimensions do I need to stop rifle rounds? Main measurement I see a problem with is how deep to make it?

My initial thoughts are 10 foot wide X 8 foot tall (compacted) X 5-6 foot deep?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :ingo: Plan on being able to have two shooters at a time.

After looking on here, it sounds like I should look for timber to stack behind it as well.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Do you plan on the berm being self-supporting, or are you going to put it in some sort of containment? Dirt will adopt a self-limiting slope with weathering -- unless you can get vegetation established really, really quickly -- and so your width will be directly related to the height.

Mine are about 8 feet tall, so they are a good 5-6 feet wide where most of the bullets impact. If you have a self-supported berm and you build it to a safe height, you will have plenty of width where the bullets should be impacting. Average rifle rounds don't need many feet of dirt to stop them. I don't shoot any FMJ out of my rifles, I've found lots of bullets pretty close to the surface of mine.

If you build a self-supported dirt berm, be prepared for it to take an amazing volume of material.

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    Gonna keep an eye on this one as I plan to build a backstop as well. I was looking into RR ties, but the price on them has went WAY up in recent years. $10 a pop can get $$$$ fast.

Top Bottom