Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I have been researching about 5 or 6 handguns for the last 6 months
    and it seems that nobody makes a gun that you can just buy and
    depend on.

No matter who makes it: Colt, S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Glock, Rossi
    Kel-Tec, Kahr and so on, all have at least some complaints.

Along side these complaints are many who have had no problems at
    all.

It gets very confusing.

Jimmy

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    They all make guns you can depend on. Most guns you purchase of the major brands will be absolutely reliable. Anytime anything is mass produced there are bound to be a few lemons. If you are looking for a gunmaker who absolutely never produces a lemon, good luck. They all produce excellent guns. However, it isn't necessarily right out of the box. Trust may take a little time and effort.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Guns are machines. All machines will fail, eventually. Some machines, however, are less likely to fail, or fail less often.

The goal is to pick one that is least likely to give you fits. For many this is Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, etc. YMMV.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Guns are machines. All machines will fail, eventually. Some machines, however, are less likely to fail, or fail less often.

The goal is to pick one that is least likely to give you fits. For many this is Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, CZs, etc. YMMV.

FIFY

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    It's also important to remember that people usually don't report when a gun works like it should. However, they love to complain (especially online) when a purchase doesn't work right. So for every negative review you read online there are literally hundreds of people with the same gun that have absolutly no problems.

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    Sounds like life.

Good luck finding anything made at all that doesn't have a reported problem or review somewhere on the internet.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    With 3 different calibers in my m&p pistols, my only complaint is the take down lever on the .45 is 'finnicky'. It doesn't affect the function of shooting/performance. I've put at least 800-900 flawless rounds through my 9mm. I am thoroughly happy with all of them.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My 100% reliable, never failed yet from round 1 to current:
    HK45C
    HK P30 (9mm & .40 S&W)
    M&P Shield (9mm)
    Ruger SR1911
    Springfield Range Officer
    Glock 26 (9mm)
    Walther PPQ (doesn't like S&B ammo).
    Sig P2022 (.40 S&W)

Only failed on first few mags:
    M&P .45 Full Size (FTF), flawless since.

Problem Guns:
    Ruger LC9, very ammo picky, it's gone.
    Springfield XDS (light/off center primer strikes, failure of trigger to reset, lots of feed issues with HST 230gr HP). Called Springfield, cleaned it per their instruction (basically think "run it wet like an AR), will give it another go Monday.
    Sig Stainless 1911 (mags sticking)

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Update:

Now that I have purchaced a few guns I have been
    very happy with a few and disgusted with 1.

Colt 1911: Flawless

Springfield XD9 Subcompact: Flawless

Rossi 38 Snubbie revolver: Flawless

Pietta 1851 Navy Colt w KurstKonverter to 45 Colt:
    had to take apart and file a few things to get it to work

keltec pf9: utter and total crap, never own another keltec ever.

Jimmy

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If, worse case senerio, you buy a firearm that you are un happy with, what is the overlong impact of your life? If you trade it off and loose $100, will that keep you from eating? What do people spend in a month for cigarettes and beers? EVEN if you cut the defective gun up with a saw and throw it away, what are you out? $700? Say that happens twice in you whole life, what are you out? $1400? It is not like your kid lost an eye or something. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

In this age of internet, EVERY jerk out there posts every little problem, even if it is really their fault. Too much emotion and not enough facts. You have to take people with a grain of salt. Some people make out any emotional upset as a big dramatic event. I was married to a woman who wanted another new car because the tape player ate a cassette. She had left that cassette in a hot car long enough to warp. She complained for two years to everyone who would listen what a piece of junk I made her drive. After she was gone, I drove that car 170,000 more miles and it never failed to get me home. Always consider the source, not everyone is level headed. Don't believe everything you hear, even on the internet!

Last edited:

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Update:

Now that I have purchaced a few guns I have been
    very happy with a few and disgusted with 1.

Colt 1911: Flawless

Springfield XD9 Subcompact: Flawless

Rossi 38 Snubbie revolver: Flawless

Pietta 1851 Navy Colt w KurstKonverter to 45 Colt:
    had to take apart and file a few things to get it to work

keltec pf9: utter and total crap, never own another keltec ever.

Jimmy

This is a perfect example of sometimes i beleive it can just come down to a persons luck. Just like cars 1000 people can have the same car and yes there may be things that certain cars are known for, but commonly some of the people are just going to have random problems that the others dont and also some are going to have no problems at all.

ITs just the way it works here is my list

Springfiled xd40 no problems
    glock 23 no problems
    glock 26 no problems
    citadel 45 compact 1911 no problems even with the ammo everyone says gives problems
    rossi snub 357 mag all sorts or freakin problems from day one

as you can see the rossi has been my trouble gun but i dont think its cuz its crap i jsut think i have had bad luck on it..

Just my long 2cents

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Suggestion

I have learned, that sticking with Ruger, SW, Colt, Glock ect. brands, cuts down greatly your chance of getting a bad one.
    Brands like Taurus, Kel-Tec ect., means you may or may not get a good one.
    Of course, then there is Bersa, which is inexpensive, and the most reliable gun I have ever owned.
    I always read my instruction manual when purchasing a new firearm. I follow their directions before firing it. I clean and lube it prior to taking it to the range. I think this cuts down on some problems, but nothing is a sure thing anymore.
    At the rate they are turning them out now, who knows?
    I wish you luck.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I think what prompted my op is that these are firearms not
    cordless drills or cd players.

You may stake your life on a firearm and I think it should
    be tested and reliable on day 1 of purchace.

The XD9 is the only brand new gun Ive ever bought and
    so far, about 200 rounds of 4 different types of ammo its
    been perfect.

Thats what I expect from a new firearm.

Jimmy

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have learned, that sticking with Ruger, SW, Colt, Glock ect. brands, cuts down greatly your chance of getting a bad one.
    Brands like Taurus, Kel-Tec ect., means you may or may not get a good one.
    Of course, then there is Bersa, which is inexpensive, and the most reliable gun I have ever owned.
    I always read my instruction manual when purchasing a new firearm. I follow their directions before firing it. I clean and lube it prior to taking it to the range. I think this cuts down on some problems, but nothing is a sure thing anymore.
    At the rate they are turning them out now, who knows?
    I wish you luck.
    +1 for Bersa, I own Glock, S&W, Ruger, and Bersa Thunder UC 9, my Bersa is the most reliable of all, and is the one I carry more often.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think what prompted my op is that these are firearms not
    cordless drills or cd players.

You may stake your life on a firearm and I think it should
    be tested and reliable on day 1 of purchace.

The XD9 is the only brand new gun Ive ever bought and
    so far, about 200 rounds of 4 different types of ammo its
    been perfect.

Thats what I expect from a new firearm.

Jimmy

I hear what you are saying, but I think you need to buy custom to get the level of pre-delivery testing that would guarantee perfect function out of the box. Firearms are machines created by people. There are going to be tolerance ranges that might produce a buggy firearm if all of the tolerances stack in one direction. The manufacturers do a basic inspection and test, but they only fire a handful of cartridges out of a firearm before it ships. I think those are more to check sights than anything else.

When we get a firearm, we run a bunch of ammo through it to make sure it works, get used to how it feels and to determine point of aim. Any manufacturer can produce a weapon that has issues. A custom builder will find those issues before the gun goes out the door because they can charge a price that allows them to test a weapon thoroughly.

Most of the weapons I've bought have been good to go right out of the box, but some have had issues. I have found no correlation between the cost of a firearm and the potential for issues, but I'm not buying custom either. I've bought inexpensive Bersa .380s that function perfectly out of the box and an expensive PPK that took a lot of work to get it to run well. My RIA 1911 has been less trouble than my Springfield or Sig 1911s. My Glock 29 would not drop a mag free and would not reset the trigger when I first got it. I did a 25 cent trigger job on it to make that right and after a bit of use, the mags now drop free. My Glock 20 has been perfect though (I do like to kid Glock fanboys about one stovepipe that was probably caused by limp wristing that made it less reliable than the Kimber Ultra I had).

My point is that with production guns, 99 out of 100 will be fine out of the box. We don't hear too much from the 99 owners with the perfect guns, but we do tend to hear from the 1 that had issues. It's up to us to determine if we are that 1 in 100 by running a couple of hundred rounds of ammo through it before we consider ourselves in that 99 club. In most cases, that 1 pistol with issues will sort itself out by putting rounds down the pipe, but once in a while the issues go beyond that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Like many have said, nothing is 100%

That's why you practice with the gun before you carry it, and run a few magazines of your carry ammo through it to make sure they are going to work well together.

The best you can do is get a quality handgun with a documented low failure rate (better odds with a Glock over a Raven, a Sig over a Lorcin, etc.), test fire it at the range 200 or so times, and then carry a back up just in case.

Top Bottom