• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The worst thing that has ever happened to me on the firing line is a .44 mag that didn't get a powder charge. Pushed the primer out of the pocket and jammed up the cylinder a bit. No harm to shooter or firearm.

One thing that keeps me safe is that i absolutely do not choose powder charges that will allow me to double charge a case. If i double charge a case, the powder will be all over the reloading block and my bench.

This allows me a little bit of flexibility with distractions - which are sorta common in my house with 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a wife.

One reason I like TiteGroup for reloading 9mm. The charge I use fills slighly more then half the case. If I where to double charge it would be obvious. That's why I check every case before I seat a bullet.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    The worst thing that has ever happened to me on the firing line is a .44 mag that didn't get a powder charge. Pushed the primer out of the pocket and jammed up the cylinder a bit. No harm to shooter or firearm.

One thing that keeps me safe is that i absolutely do not choose powder charges that will allow me to double charge a case. If i double charge a case, the powder will be all over the reloading block and my bench.

This allows me a little bit of flexibility with distractions - which are sorta common in my house with 2 cats, 2 dogs, and a wife.

Ditto! Same here! I might be paying a little more for a bang, but I feel the extra buck for my bang is well worth the peace of mind that I get, knowing I will never have a double charge in my gun.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Reloading like everything else in the world of firearms comes with inherent danger. I have been reloading for 7 years and reload 25 different calibers without a single incident. I am the world's most anal retentive reloader however and I check EVERYTHING at least twice. If I think that I have missed a step I pull the bullet and do it again. My worst fear is double charging a pistol round so I religiously adhere to my most foolproof methodology. My choice of powder usually has more to do with how it fills up the case than it does with how it propels the bullet. I also don't take just one yahoo's advice from the internet, I always corroborate it with another yahoo's advice!:): Reloading is very rewarding and in some instances necessary, such as when ammo is no longer available commercially.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    In my more adventurous days I set back a set of lugs or two.

None of this stuff is hard, but it does pay to understand what does what and why. It does involve detonating explosives in a confined space. On the bright side most modern guns, rifles at least, can handle pretty significant overpressures with aplomb. Massive mistakes, like grabbing a can of fast powder when you mean to grab a slow one, is what catastrophically destroys guns and reloaders.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom