• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Let your wrist roll over to bring the axis of the spool almost vertical after you release the spool and line is paying out. It has helped me with my Ambassadors for the past 20 years. Something about finishing the cast in that orientation helps slow the spool better. At least for me.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    Tip of the day- tie on a 1oz weight and cast as far as you possibly can without a birdsnest. Then take a 1"x1" square of duct tape and put it on your spool then reel back in and you're good to go. That way a birdsnest can never get very deep into your spool and it will never interfere with distance casting.
    Or you can have your kid run down the block with the weight attached so you don't have to cast in your neighborhood. 150yds was adequate for me.
    Good luck and happy fishing.

That tip works, but 150yds is a bit much. 20yds farther than your farthest cast works. I use KVD line conditioner also on all my line, flouro, braid and mono. A fast way to get out backlash is to tighten your drag and hold your thumb on the spool. Reel in two winds while holding your thumb tightly on the spool, then release the spool and untangle. Do this as many times as needed. It works.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I haven't been fishing in many years. I have been practicing with my new reel/rod this weekend.

I was doing OK Friday evening. Then I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to cast. Saturday it was real windy and I could not cast as well (in the yard) as I could Friday. I kept getting backlashes. Today (Sunday) I was practicing and getting lots of backlashes. I finally figured it out (I think). I noticed I got better results when I pulled the rod back and then gave a quick flick forward, like I was whipping the rod forward. When I did that I got nice distance and fewer backlashes. Is that the way you are supposed to cast? Whipping the rod sort of like a bull whip? When the rod was straight up and down and going behind me I would whip it forward and it seemed to work good.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    the best thing that was ever taught to me about a baitcaster is make sure you are casting a heavy enough lure to start out with. if you are casting a 1/4 oz or below starting out it will be hard to get distance and if you loosen up the braking system you will get a backlash. that is the thing I see most people do is to start out with too light of lure. remeber a baitcaster is a only a tool. starting out you should use spincast or spinning for most of the light stuff and baitcasters for the medium to heavy stuff. the other thing to be aware of is the aerodynamics of the lure. if the lure catches alot of air(jerkbaits are known to do this in the wind) it will cause a backlash again this is where you go to a spinning rod or spincast. hope it helps dont give up and keep working at it and you will get it
    catfish

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm no baitcaster master. The key for me to finally learn to use these reals was to borrow a friend's higher end real (Shimano Curado) for practice and a month of fishing. The much better braking system and smooth operation of the nicer real got me over the cheap real frustration.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    This evening I went to Raccoon Lake S.R.A. with my fishing pole and my brother. I had a plastic plug practice weight on Iv'e been using in the yard. My brother told me to start casting it in the water for practice. So I practiced casting in the water and it felt great to do it!

After about twenty minutes I told my brother "I'm putting on a hook!". I had my new tackle box with me and I had two Rooster Tails. I put on a big bobber, a led weight, a snap, and then the Rooster Tail. I cast it out and then I was not sure what to do. Let it sit or reel it in or reel it in slow or fast. So I reeled it in slowly most of the time and would stop for a second or two every so often. I saw some fish jump about twenty feet to the left and right. I kept throwing my line out and didn't get any bites.

Then I took the bobber off and cast the line out in the water. I reeled it in like the pros do on TV but I was not sure I was doing it right. I was getting some seaweed on the Rooster Tail though. So, after a while my brother was ready to go. He grabs my tackle box and I say - "two more casts!" I cast it out and reel it in. Then I cast it out one more time and - bang! I had a small fish on the line!

We are positive it was a Bass but not sure what kind. It was a small fish. About ten to twelve inches. it did have sort of strip running down its side. I closed it mouth and it's jaw did not run all the way back behind it's eyes. So we were thinking it's a small mouth or a spotted. From my research I think it was more likely a spotted.

I was pumped after I caught that fish! I can't believe fish will go after fake things like Rooster Tails. Very cool. Now I want to do more fishing and catch a big Bass!

We did put the fish back in the water. It hooked right on the side of the mouth and it was easy to pull the hook out. I put it back in the water and off it went.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have only used them for 40 years but I will toss out a few thoughts.

First post exactly what reel you have. The brand, type rod, length and all "specs" on the rod. Example: it may be 6' long graphite berkley rod, 1/4oz to 1/2oz.

What type line came on it and what pound test?

With none of the facts above I would say put 10lb test berkley XT line on your reel. Buy a couple of safety pin type spinner baits. They have a single hook with a skirt, the wire is bent in a V and the spinner blade is above the hook. The opposite of the inline spinner like a rooster tail, which also uses a treble hook, bad for you and bank fishing. Buy spinner baits that are 3/8oz and maybe one that is 1/2oz.

Now we know you have a fairly balanced rig. XT line is cheap, tough which is good for near shore and shallow fishing, and has low memory.

You also want one or two floating, shallow running crank baits but heavier ones, not light weight balsa lures. These will cast easier, run shallow so snag less and allow you to try some variations in your retrieve.

You need to step away from running an inline spinner under a bobber. I know you caught a fish but that is not how you fish that lure or really what a baitcaster is for. As an Ingo member it is important you look like you know what you are doing. Plus you said you want to catch big Bass!

The cast is from the elbow to the wrist. Learn to roll your wrist like described in an earlier post and always adjust your reel for the lure you are casting.

I am two handed and I have always used left handed baitcasters, meaning I cast right and reel with my left. I never have to switch the rod from one hand to the other. Something to consider if you go deep on this hobby.

Last edited:

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I have only used them for 40 years but I will toss out a few thoughts.

First post exactly what reel you have. The brand, type rod, length and all "specs" on the rod. Example: it may be 6' long graphite berkley rod, 1/4oz to 1/2oz.

What type line came on it and what pound test?

My rod is Abu Garcia Vigilante - 24 Ton Graphite, 6'6" Medium, 1/4-5/8 oz. lure, 8-17 lb. Line. I have 10 lb. line on it. I payed it for $35.00.

My reel is Pflueger - Monarch. I payed $35.00 for it.

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    Baitcasters are a little tough at first , but are the way to go when fishing artificial lures. If you need help, PM me and you can come to my pond and I will teach you how to cast it.

Two-Tornadoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Where everybody knows my name
    Practice, Practice, Practice.

Start out with a heavy weight and 10 to 12lb test monofilament line. Do as others has said and adjust the break so the weight moves slowly to the ground while releasing the casting switch and holding the rod parallel to ground.

Depending on the reel you have it may have a magnetic break knob on the side, set it to max and back it off when you get the feel of casting with your new rig.

The more you do it the better you will get.
    You will get to the point when you can put a bait, lure where ever you want it to go.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Baitcasters are a little tough at first , but are the way to go when fishing artificial lures. If you need help, PM me and you can come to my pond and I will teach you how to cast it.

Thanks for the offer.

I went to Gander Mountain Monday evening and looked at a cool spinnerbait. The thing looked like it was some contraption from a sci-fi movie. lol. I wanted to buy it but wanted to make sure I could use it with my rods/reeels. I picked up Indiana Game and Fish at Books-a-Million and it had an article all about spinnerbaits. So I went back to Gander Mountain this evening and bought a Booyah spinnerbait. I can't wait to try it.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I took the 10 lb line off my reel and put on some Eagle Claw 20 lb line I bought at Walmart tonight. I'm doing to see if this helps cut down on the backlashes.

Is 20 lb line too much for general fishing/bass fishing?

Will 20 lb line make it harder to cast lighter lures?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I took the 10 lb line off my reel and put on some Eagle Claw 20 lb line I bought at Walmart tonight. I'm doing to see if this helps cut down on the backlashes.

Is 20 lb line too much for general fishing/bass fishing?

Will 20 lb line make it harder to cast lighter lures?

Imo yes, unless you plan on catching a 50+lb world record monster hog. With the drag set correctly 10lb should be great.

light lures will be tougher to cast with heavier line.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    No heavy cover yet. Just open water standing on shores. I tried the 20 lb line this evening (Eagle Claw) and I did not care for it. I went to Walmart and bought
    some 12 pound. Trying it out in the backyard, it seems much more managable.

I went fishing this evening at Raccoon Lake and it was very windy. I had my brothers spinning real/rod and my baitcaster real/rod. The 20lb got big rat nests real easy in the heavy wind. When I tried the spinning rod I could cast it real hard and no problems at all. Also I could cast a long ways out.

What I would like is to be able to cast out as far with my baitcaster as i can with the spinning real/rod I used. My baitcaster rod is 6'6" Medium. Would a 7' rod increase the distance in casts?

Top Bottom