• ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    [ame]http://youtu.be/843yH_0RMIA[/ame]

I thought I'd share this with INGO. This man became a felon on 4/1. I was up there this weekend shooting video with my friend Kyle (who is responsible for the above video). I guess the story is that a court order saved the day for now, and no confrontation has happened yet. Mark's farm hasn't been depopulated, but there were some pretty tense moments this weekend. We'll have some follow-up footage from the weekend up shortly. The future remains uncertain.

Here is the website, with Mark's testimony at the MI Ag Committee: http://vbs20.com/bakers/

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's a good story. I wonder if he just started going to these types of hogs from the traditional breed, or he has been doing this for many years?

The DNR is one of - if not the most powerful JBT klans up there. They were given their strength to catch and discourage poachers.

I'm not too hopeful for Mark's farm, but I pray for him - I don't have much cash these days to do anything otherwise.

s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    There seems to be an ever increasing intrusion by the government to tell us what food we can raise and eat. This kind of bull**** from the government has got to stop. I sure hope that the local people involved in these matters take the necessary steps to halt this invasive government intrusion. :twocents:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Better have some boots and cameras on the ground, up there,

to cut off at the knees any Mich. DNR Ruby Ridge attempts. The Florida fiasco being so deep in the news lately may just help out the Bakers in this incident.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think if the video was watched by farmers in the southern states you would find a very strong disagreement with some of Mr. Baker's statements. Feral hogs do tremendous damage to farmland and crops where they are present.

I'm not saying he should be forced to stop raising the pigs. I do feel that there should probably be an extra measure of effort to ensure the pigs are not able to escape (double fencing) and if they were able to escape and establish a population there should be consequences.

The flying grass carp problem in many waterways can be traced back to one fish farmer who was raising them. A flood caused a massive escape of the fish and now they are destroying native fisheries all over the eastern United States.

I say allow the man to make his living but help him to ensure his livestock does not become a problem for other farmers in his area. All it takes is a breeding pair to escape and their first batch of piglets will resort right back to being wild animals capable of injuring people, pets and property.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That's a good story. I wonder if he just started going to these types of hogs from the traditional breed, or he has been doing this for many years?

He's been doing it for years. This is his life.

I think if the video was watched by farmers in the southern states you would find a very strong disagreement with some of Mr. Baker's statements. Feral hogs do tremendous damage to farmland and crops where they are present.

The problem is the definition of feral. An entire breed is not feral, these hogs are not feral. They have been bred for years and are actually superior to traditional domestic hogs in terms of meat quality. They are Eurasian/Mangalitsa hybrids. I'm sure he would be quite motivated to get his breeding stock back if it ever happened to escape.

http://woolypigs.com/_introduction.html

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    So are these hogs all that different than the typical types of swine being raised all over the state?I have heard of a population of feral hogs down around Buddha Indiana....If my facts are incorrect please let me know,but I belive the numbers have gone way down because a lot of country boys with rifles have been harvesting the bacon.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

The DNR is one of - if not the most powerful JBT klans up there. They were given their strength to catch and discourage poachers.

I'm not too hopeful for Mark's farm, but I pray for him - I don't have much cash these days to do anything otherwise.

In his state senate testimony, he says he's been doing it since he retired from the airforce in '04.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZLJs57vbfg4[/ame]

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't worry too much about fish or pigs or any other animal getting out into the wild.

If someone wants to eat it, someone else will kill it for them. They'll keep killing it until there aren't any left.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    if my divine google wisdom is correct...
    these arent feral, there are simply a different breed. (which is exactly what he says)
    Feral is not a breed. its not of a certain species even.
    a domesticated animal is (loosely) an animal (cat, dog, bovine, hog, etc) that is in the ownership/ being raised by a person. A stray is a domesticated animal that has become lost/escaped and has not come back. A feral animal is the strays offspring. in other words, domesticated at least one generation removed. If the feral animals are captured, they can be re domesticated.

by this definition, feral and wild are quite different for what its worth.
    for example. a population of mountain lions out west are wild. the dog population in Detroit are feral. the dog laying next to your table waiting for the left over t-bone is domesticated.

these hogs are domesticated. and in response to phylodog, if these escaped, how would it be any different than conventional breeds escaping? or some of my goats escaping? truth of the matter is, if they are treated well, even if they get out of the fence, they are not going to go far b/c they know where their food is coming from. (horrible run on sentence)

my goats have "escaped" a couple of times and litterally never left the property. they know where the hay, oats and water are.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Any hog of any breed can become "feral" with in a month of escape. That's all the time it takes for them to figure out that they don't really need us. They are not like cattle, goats, horses, etc. The do have to have the desire to escape, if their food, water and shelter needs are met, they have little desire to go anywhere. My kids 4-H pigs "escape" from time to time and are usually found wandering around the yard, but never more than 100 feet from their feeder. This is just another case of big gov't sticking it's nose where it don't belong. http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/outdoors/2007/11/domestic_pigs_quickly_revert_t.html

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He is not in lock step with the system. He is cutting into some other market and they are bringing pressure to bear on him. Heard about this today on Garrison...93.1

Top Bottom