• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That sucks. We've got a nesting pair north of us a few miles. We seen one tearing a squirrel a new one about a year ago. It was not to far off the road. I figured it was road kill. When we drove back he/she was gone. I got curious as to what was left and it was just part of a spine. Man, it was a horrific scene but an interesting sight. I seen one of them flying a few weeks ago over the neighborhood.

We have quite a few hawks in the area. I see them all the time. The eagle was a real treat to see. The hawks have pretty much eliminated the bunny's in my yard (kind of sad, I like to watch them). I wish they would catch a few more squirrels though. They are a PIA.

Hopefully she will find another mate. They are an incredible sight to be seen in the wild.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Oh yeah. I couldn't tell you how many times I have stopped and just stared at them. Their nest is on the way home. The kids and us loved seeing them. I really hope she finds a new mate and stays put.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Do eagles go after carrion? Can't see any reason to be on the road.

Yup... several days in a row a couple months ago I got the most magnificent view of a Bald Eagle on my drive home from work. It was there every day at approximately the same time feeding on a roadkill deer; until the deer was gone.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. I almost ran over one in MN a few years back. He was eating road kill (dead deer). Scared the crap out of me. If there's one bird I DO NOT want to run over, it's a bald eagle. That would have been really bad.

I've been seeing more and more of them around here. Saw a juvenile last weekend when I was floating down the creek. Awesome to see them coming back and doing so well here.

Yes.

One of the big reasons that Benjamin Franklin didn't want the bald eagle to be the national symbol of this great land.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    This happens quite a bit with large sized birds. They tend to not see the PowerLines and hit them at speed and then crash into the pavement. I've seen many large birds die that way.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Since he has died, I have only seen her one time and that was the day after. The last couple mornings I have been seeing what I thought may be one of the juveniles in a dead sycamore overlooking a lake where she used to hang out. Today I got a better look at the bird. It is not an eagle. It is dark colored, white chest that extends all the way to the head. It appeared to have red stripes across the eyes to the back of the head. I Googled and Googled this morning without much luck. I eventually stumbled across a picture of an osprey. It looks really close, but the stripes aren't red. Maybe I just saw it wrong. I'm gonna try and get a picture tomorrow.

Have any other Greenfielders seen this bird?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll go a little OT. I was at the FOP just out side of South Bend this last week end and found out they have a nesting pair there. I seen one adult bird and a smaller but flying juvenile bird. So we have 3 nesting pairs in the area. How cool is that!!

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I observed and photographed an eagle's nest about 15 years ago. I was surprised by the number of little birds that lived in the bottom half of the nest. It looked like that scene in the beginning of The Jetsons cartoon where all the little space cars were flying in and out of the parking garage.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Since he has died, I have only seen her one time and that was the day after. The last couple mornings I have been seeing what I thought may be one of the juveniles in a dead sycamore overlooking a lake where she used to hang out. Today I got a better look at the bird. It is not an eagle. It is dark colored, white chest that extends all the way to the head. It appeared to have red stripes across the eyes to the back of the head. I Googled and Googled this morning without much luck. I eventually stumbled across a picture of an osprey. It looks really close, but the stripes aren't red. Maybe I just saw it wrong. I'm gonna try and get a picture tomorrow.

Have any other Greenfielders seen this bird?

The eaglets have flown the coupe and have been seen hunting/ fishing the area. There is also an osprey hanging out in the area. One of the photographers that is on the "Greenfield Eagle Watch" Facebook page had actually photographed the Osprey within the last week.

Top Bottom