• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I did a little bit of search-fu but came up with nothing. I know that it has been addressed that public colleges and universities have no legal boundary from stopping legal carrying unless you refuse to leave (trespassing), and could simply expel you, if applicable. I am 99.999999% sure that Ball State University is the exception for this, and allows no carry in the eyes of the law. Some may well know this already.. The reason for this conclusion is that there is a residential High School on campus.

So... What say you INGO?

Does the presence of the Indiana Academy, a two year high school for gifted Juniors and Seniors on the campus convert it all to School property in terms of IC? Or only the buildings and rooms used by those Academy students? From my understanding there is not a complete openness of the campus to the High School students.

Just curious.

The Indiana Academy | History of The Indiana Academy

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    IANAL, but Since the property would be owned by the university, you would only be barred from those particular building as they would be considered school functions provided they're funded from the local school corp. What do you guys think?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmm... Once again this "bad law" strikes!

Well, the buildings in question are owned by Ball State University. They must be leased to the Indiana Academy (a private school corp, from what I can tell). So, at the very least, the property leased to the Academy is off limits to us law-abiding folks.

So, the next question: They show that the majority of classes are held in the Ball State Student Center. I guess classes are a "school function", so now the Student Center property is off limits. Where are the rest of the classes, and how on EARTH am *I* supposed to know?

And finally, what are we to make of the "other property owned or leased in kind" part of the law? Elliot Hall (Co-ed university housing) is next door, but on a different parcel. Is a resident of that hall committing a crime if they have a firearm, or just breaking a policy? I really don't know.

This law needs fixed. I don't have time to find the property maps and schedules of every single place a visit, just to be sure some loosely defined "school" has set up show for a day.

Nice find, G-Stines, but it didn't help my blood pressure!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Hmmm... Once again this "bad law" strikes!

Well, the buildings in question are owned by Ball State University. They must be leased to the Indiana Academy (a private school corp, from what I can tell). So, at the very least, the property leased to the Academy is off limits to us law-abiding folks.

So, the next question: They show that the majority of classes are held in the Ball State Student Center. I guess classes are a "school function", so now the Student Center property is off limits. Where are the rest of the classes, and how on EARTH am *I* supposed to know?

And finally, what are we to make of the "other property owned or leased in kind" part of the law? Elliot Hall (Co-ed university housing) is next door, but on a different parcel. Is a resident of that hall committing a crime if they have a firearm, or just breaking a policy? I really don't know.

This law needs fixed. I don't have time to find the property maps and schedules of every single place a visit, just to be sure some loosely defined "school" has set up show for a day.

Nice find, G-Stines, but it didn't help my blood pressure!

Thanks and sorry about the BP. I was thinking about it today, as my younger sister will be attending there, and it just occurred to me that I would have to disarm. While I was very slow on the uptake, I wanted to share this revelation because I thought we had members who had students there, as well as parents of students there..

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I went to ball state and my sister attended the academy while I was there. It's on the far end of campus away from the majority of the college class and housing buildings. Most students probably don't even know its there.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I worked in the village at BSU not long ago. My particular establishment had several managers including myself that would CC/OC on shifts. When we were there the Sunkist tanning had an attempted robbery and an actual robbery shortly thereafter, and several gun-related police calls at the Mad Hatter (I don't even know if it's there anymore). The Locker Room also had an attempted robbery, I believe. Anyway, of course, some Rosie O'donnell type spotted one of us legally carrying and tried to have our whole place shut down and gave us a strongly worded letter that was quickly sent to the circular file after being posted for everyone to laugh at...Ahhh, the years....

At the time I was told that there were no carry laws that applied to the village, but I suppose that doesn't help your question about campus carry.

Top Bottom