• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    to start, this is just a list of momentum figures for its corresponding round of hollow point. before we get started, this is not a caliber war topic, this document is here to show how different rounds stack up to each other in the way that researchers say is the main characteristic to the mystical "one stop shot". although, as you can guess, there really isn't any bullet from any firearm (at least handguns) that will stop an attacker of any size and weight every time with one shot. so i have compiled this small list to show how close most hollow point rounds are to each other in relation to felt impact.

bullet weight speed momentum carried
    Buff B Gold Dot 124g 1300fps 23ftlbs.
    Dbl Tap Brns X 124g 1310fps 23ftlbs
    Golden Saber 124g 1180fps 20ftlbs.
    Spr Gold Dot 124g 1220fps 21ftlbs.
    Hydra Shok 147g 1000fps 21ftlbs.
    Dbl tap Brns X 147g 1135fps 24ftlbs.
    and just for some perspective...
    Spr Gold Dot 180g 985fps 24ftlbs
    Xtrerme SHock 85g 1531 18ftlbs

Imagine that!, a 85g bullet has a much smaller amount of force behind it that a typical copper jacketed hollow point. there's a lot of tech that was built behind it, and it may break up on impact to give them a "safer" feel but they are obviously not the answer...

in the other findings, how is one to tell which bullet to use?i, myself, carry the original hydra shocks, twenty year old tech that expands reliably and sports a 21 in the momentum chart. how can someone tell me that a 124+p Gold Dot is a better preforming round than my outdated hydra shoks?...if they both reliably expand, and from tests i've seen they both do its hard to fight for either of them against each other...on another note, the .40 shows a 24 on the chart 6 more pounds than the X Shocks...in this instance with these two bullets, any sane person would take the .40...but when you look at my standard pressure Hydra Shoks and even the Buffalo Bore and Double Tap rounds at 23 don't seem like they are way underpowered...my question is whats the overall difference between 21 and 24 ftlbs?...just some things to think about while choosing your particular defense load.

Top Bottom