• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Nothing ILLEGAL about it, it may be against Ball State POLICY, but not illegal at all. I would walk around right on the edge of campus just to be an a**hole! Lol

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Nothing ILLEGAL about it, it may be against Ball State POLICY, ...

If the univ can use the power of the state to run you off or arrest you for trespassing because you're carrying with an LTCH, then this seems to be a distinction without a difference. As Kirk says, time for campus carry.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If the univ can use the power of the state to run you off or arrest you for trespassing because you're carrying with an LTCH, then this seems to be a distinction without a difference. As Kirk says, time for campus carry.

If you're not a student, schools can run you off for almost any reason. Generally, probably a good policy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Devil's advocate time. How is this different from say a corp owned BW3's from doing the same to a legal gun owner? Arent both technically property owners exercising their rights, which many of us support? Or is it different because it is state funded?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nothing ILLEGAL about it, it may be against Ball State POLICY, but not illegal at all. I would walk around right on the edge of campus just to be an a**hole! Lol

Universities using their regulations as walls to create their own fiefdoms. They want to wall us out from what WE PAY FOR.

We tear down these walls with Campus Carry.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you're not a student, schools can run you off for almost any reason. Generally, probably a good policy.

Didn't say it wasn't a good policy in general (although see my reply to CameraMonkey), but the argument was that carrying a handgun on univ property is not illegal, just against policy. OK, but in practice, it can get you booted and/or arrested, so objectively it is illegal. Given that BSU's bad boy list has only 75 people on it, I doubt that BSU spends much time running off people who are not students. You have to be "special." I'd be interested to see who is on the list. Local homeless? Drug dealers? Convicts? LTCH holders?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Devil's advocate time. How is this different from say a corp owned BW3's from doing the same to a legal gun owner? Arent both technically property owners exercising their rights, which many of us support? Or is it different because it is state funded?

Well for starters you are not addressing the statement I made. I didn't even say I thought it was bad that BSU can run off or arrest LTCH'ers (although I do). I'm just saying (as I did to Kut), that objectively it appears it is not legal to carry a handgun on BSU property. The legal expression of that is a bit convoluted, but if you can be arrested for trespass, and the only reason BSU considers you to be trespassing is because you have a gun (even tho you have a LTCH), then effectively carrying a gun is illegal.

As to the private/state difference: yes, BIG difference. (Although I dunno what a BW3 is?)

Megacorp is the property owner (presuming they're not leasing government land). Privately owned land, privately owned corporation, they have property rights.

BSU is not a privately owned institution, and the neither President, the Regents (or board of directors, trustees, whatever), the faculty, the staff, nor even the students -- in those respective roles -- are the sole property owners of BSU buildings and land. Their only property interest is as citizens and taxpayers of Indiana (assuming they even hold those statuses) along with everybody else in Indiana, and ownership is vested in the State of Indiana as a whole. The Regents/Trustees/etc and the President or Chancellor are delegated certain powers, but it is abhorrent that they use them to suppress certain rights contained in the 1A (like "safe spaces" or "First Amendment Zones") and 2A (GFZs), among others.

Texas went through this with its campus carry law, and in it private universities/colleges can do what they want, given that as private institutions they have property rights (something certain professors from UT claim not to understand). But state supported institutions are granted their powers from the Legislature, who represent the actual property owners, and the Leg has said state institutions of higher education may not have the power to generally ban concealed carry. Much to their dismay.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Isn't it a state facility ? They have the rite to ask you to leave the property and have you arrested if you refuse and then ban you .But if you leave without being arrested what cause do they have to ban you?
    As far as i know state property is not a gun free zones .Correct me if i am wrong

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well for starters you are not addressing the statement I made. I didn't even say I thought it was bad that BSU can run off or arrest LTCH'ers (although I do). I'm just saying (as I did to Kut), that objectively it appears it is not legal to carry a handgun on BSU property. The legal expression of that is a bit convoluted, but if you can be arrested for trespass, and the only reason BSU considers you to be trespassing is because you have a gun (even tho you have a LTCH), then effectively carrying a gun is illegal.

No. Trespassing is illegal. Carrying a handgun is a way to get trespassed. There's still a huge distinction. The one that leads to words like "banned" instead of "arrested".

This is the same convoluted logic that leads to statements like "he was deported for speeding". No, he was deported for being an illegal alien with gang affiliations. He came to the attention of police via speeding.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    (Although I dunno what a BW3 is?)

BW3=Buffalo Wild Wings

It was originally called Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, hence BWWW or BW3. Weck, for those who care, is a type of bun that has butter or similarly sticky glaze on top then has sesame seeds put on top of that. And, yes, the BW3 in Anderson, we (I say "we" as I worked there for 8 years) did ask people with guns to put their guns in their cars. Mostly when they were in the bar area and/or drunk/drinking, but, to my knowledge, never tried to bar or get anyone arrested.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No. Trespassing is illegal. Carrying a handgun is a way to get trespassed. There's still a huge distinction. The one that leads to words like "banned" instead of "arrested".

This is the same convoluted logic that leads to statements like "he was deported for speeding". No, he was deported for being an illegal alien with gang affiliations. He came to the attention of police via speeding.

Speeding is illegal, getting caught leads to uncovering of other illegal activity

Carrying a handgun is legal, so I don't follow your logic to its conclusion.

Both activities do draw attention to you.

Top Bottom