• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I'm a Russian Vepr fan. I own 3 and this is my latest and it's extremely accurate at 100yds. Built like a tank. They aren't cheap but I think you get what you pay for.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm a Russian Vepr fan. I own 3 and this is my latest and it's extremely accurate at 100yds. Built like a tank. They aren't cheap but I think you get what you pay for

I agree If I didn't already have two Arsenal AKs I would be looking to get a Vepr. In fact if I can scrounge up the money I know where a Vepr 12 is right now that I am lusting after. I wouldn't mind having a Vepr .308 either.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I bought a Vepr 12 with the folding stock about a month ago and you can't beat em. I ran 100 rounds through it the first time I shot it. Man what a lot of fun! Just a great firearm.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    For the OP: If this is your first AK, get a cheap Eastern European (likely the cheapest). There is no need to buy an expensive milled rifle yet. Once you learn more about them and decide what you want (or you might just hate them altogether), then look at upgrading or getting another rifle.

For now, focus on a cheap rifle (with good sights and rivets) and have fun. They all go bang.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    For the OP: If this is your first AK, get a cheap Eastern European (likely the cheapest). There is no need to buy an expensive milled rifle yet. Once you learn more about them and decide what you want (or you might just hate them altogether), then look at upgrading or getting another rifle.

For now, focus on a cheap rifle (with good sights and rivets) and have fun. They all go bang.

With all respect... if he buys a cheap eastern european Romanian Wasr 10... he may hate AK's because of his experience with it haha.
    Buy once, cry once.
    The point of forums is to gather info from others whom have made the mistakes before.

You get what you pay for... if you buy a cheap AK, that's what you'll get... a dirt cheap, thrown together with whatever is laying around, AK... if you pay for a Waffen, arsenal, saiga, Maadi, or norinco, you'll also get what you pay for.. a quality AK.

you can get away for paying $580 for a DPMS AR. All American AR's are made with theoretically the same design. AK's are imported, and you can get parts from 6 different guns with 6 different qualities.

Last edited:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    My 2 cents. Buy the best one you can afford. Try to find one with a double hook trigger. It reduces trigger slap which was one of the things I didn't like about some of my early AK purchases. Every Norinco AK I've ever owned came with a double hook trigger. Try to find one with a square cut receiver as replacement stocks are more plentiful. Of course 922 rules apply when replacing a thumbhole stock but I'm not going to turn this into a tutorial and I don't know near as much as some other INGO members. Clay, tradertator, vitamink, would you care to weigh in on this?

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    the SAR 1 s are a good rifle if you can find one, but they dont have a threaded muzzle if you want a muzzle device you need to get a plunger,spring and have it threaded. my SAR 1 will eat anything i give it, actually has no trigger slap(surprisingly), no cant issues, and good accuracy for a ak 2-3moa with cheap ammo. downsides though, no threaded muzzle, finish is ok not bad but not great, the bolt is a little rough it rubs a bit on the hammer.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You get what you pay for... if you buy a cheap AK, that's what you'll get... a dirt cheap, thrown together with whatever is laying around, AK... if you pay for a Waffen, arsenal, saiga, Maadi, or norinco, you'll also get what you pay for.. a quality AK.
    QUOTE]

I have pretty extensive experience with all the above except the Waffen, along with several you didn't mention including LOTS of real deal AKs, and they all run the same. 200 yard reliable accuracy, some more if you are good. Maadi.....quality? HA, not nearly as well made as most standard WASRs.

OP, I second the advice to get the most affordable one you can find and if you don't like it you can always get you money back. Hell, the way things are going hold onto it for 6-12 months and you could make a profit.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I recently bought one of the I.O. inc., made in the U.S.A., AK47 Sporters from my LGS. For <$700, I was impressed with the ergonomics and finish in the shop, and even more impressed with it on the range. Since it is domestic production, there are no concerns with import restrictions and the resulting conversion issues.

here a couple of reviews:

I.O. Inc Sporter AK Rifle Review | HausofGuns.com | Gun and Gear Reviews, Hunting and Outdoor Products, Video

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...rter-rifle-usa-made-quality-ak47-reliability/

This gun was only slightly more than the WASR 10s that we on sale for $650 at Dunhams, but give you the feel of a much more expensive rifle.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    A few friends and I have the Yugo m70 npap. These rifles are some of the best quality I've seen from Century. All have functioned flawlessly thus far. After shipping and a transfer they run about $610.

Top Bottom