• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    EDIT: DUE TO THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ATTENDING, THE CLASSROOM PORTION HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE NEW FOP LODGE LOCATED AT 600 W 3RD STREET, CONNERSVILLE, IN. THIS IS THE TWO STORY BUILDING OFF OF SR 44 BEHIND FRAZEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. ALSO, DUE TO A SCHEDULING CONFLICT WE HAD TO MOVE THE MONDAY NIGHT CLASS TO WEDNESDAY. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SIGNED UP YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONTACTED ABOUT THIS. I JUST WANTED TO POST ON HERE TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNEW THE CHANGES. THIS IS OUR FIRST GO AT THIS AND I APOLOGIZE FOR OUR LOGISTICAL ISSUES. THIS WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE FOR FUTURE CLASSES. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL JACKIE AT THE CONNERSVILLE PD AT 765-825-2111.

All, it's been a while since I have been on here and thought I would visit the site again to post a training class being offered in June. For those that don't know me, I was a protective security trainer with Doug Runyon at Dignitary Protection Group (DPG) before he passed away in 2012. I have been teaching my Basic Fighting Handgun class since Fall 2012 and have been through several Instructor Development schools (Including RangeMaster in Memphis, TN). You can read more about me on my website: No Soft Targets

The class is going to be offered at the Fayette Co. F.O.P. Range and will only cost $30. You can get more information on the class here:

June Basic Handgun Fighting -Connersville, IN « No Soft Targets

View attachment CPD Basic Fighting Handgun Flyer.pdf

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Were I not otherwise committed, I'd do it. For 30 bucks it seems worth checking out. Out of curiosity, Why do the classroom on a weekday and the range portion on a weekend? Seems that eliminates people with busy weekends and people with busy week days. Do you ever do both portions on the same weekend, or even the same day?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Do I detect some Pincus/ICE influence in the material on your website?

I am guessing you got that from the "Have you attended a bad training class" post?
    Oh yeah, I see he mentions it in the bio page as well. Influences of Rob Pincus and Tom Givens. Both good guys but quite a dichotomy in styles.

Also on the split training schedule. FWIW that is how the CPL class is taught at most places here in MI, so I have seen it before.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Yes, some influence from Pincus/ICE. Also a bit of Paul Gomez, Massad Ayoob, Grant Cunningham, and a few others. Cedartop, you are correct, quite a dichotomy in style. That's the best way I have heard that said (might have to borrow that one). There are good sound principles from both instructors. I tend to lean more towards the Pincus/CFS philosophy but use much of the revolver material from Tom Givens. I consider my class a gateway class that will encourage the student to seek out professional defensive firearms instructors and be able to identify the difference. This particular class is being conducted with the help of local law enforcement (hence the F.O.P. range). We do plan to have the entire class and range on one day in the future (I do prefer it that way). This particular time was broken up because of a scheduling conflict with the use of the range. Thanks for the comments.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    GIJEW, thanks for the PM. Evidently the anti-spam forces are strong with this forum. I have been on here for 4 years but haven't posted enough to be able to send or reply to PM's. I will answer your questions below:

It looks like travel time will be about 1hr 30min from the NW side of Indy (depending on traffic).

The classroom portion will be held in the City Building (houses the F.O.P. classroom that we will use, also houses the Police Department). Instructions on how to get to the range and times available for Saturday will be given to the students during the classroom portion of the class.

I am looking forward to seeing you there and hope you pick up something from the class. It's always good to have experienced armed citizens in these classes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me. I'm not doing this to make a ton of money, I truly want to help others advance their training. My hope is this class will be a springboard to further training for those that attend.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Michael, sure, as an Instructor with Dignitary Protection Group (DPG) I helped to coordinate the Field Training Exercises for the students going through the classes. This was a live FTX taking students from advance work, to detail planning, to execution of the security detail in teams. The Instructors played a role as either a "OPFOR" or "principle" to be protected. I lead the OPFOR team doing surveillance and even simulating attacks on the principle. The FTX was conducted in the Indianapolis area and typically lasted around 16 hours.

Obviously Doug Runyon passed away in 2012, but I can provide you some names for reference if necessary. You can also check out my LinkedIn page for more details and references if you so desire.

If you are referring to what training I have taken, I have been through all the DPG courses as a student (they had really built up a large list of classes offered when Doug passed). I have also been through training conducted through the State Department for the specific contract I worked over seas. Some various contractor courses (Triple Canopy back in the day) as well as some specialized training in surveillance from a VA based contracting firm. Much of my protective security training is now outdated (if you've been out of the game more than 4 years you are done) as is my body (knees and back). So, I have a cushy desk job now doing training on the side. That's how life works sometimes.

If there is enough interest, I may offer the DPG Protective Security Agent course in the future (with the help of some active protective security agents). It's a serious commitment and I would need to know the market is there for that training before I would offer it. But it could be on the horizon.

Hope that helps answer all your questions!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks. I was speaking of the training you mentioned you did on your site getting ready for the contractor work. I was talking to Pat McNamara at a class last year about EP training g and he made a poi t to talk about how boring it is and not at all what most people would expect. Now the definition of boring for an ex-Delta guy may be different than the definition of boring for the rest of us.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Pat is spot on. Unless you are one of those sick people that likes reading text books and taking 100 question timed tests. It's not near as glamorous as it sounds. I spent three days learning about radios that I already knew more than the instructor did (I am an IT guy) just to get a piece of paper. But there were good times too (Vehicle Dynamics course comes to mind). I have several hundred hours of various training that is outdated and useless today (new radios, techniques, etc.). I would say most of that was lectures, reading, and tests. Certainly not what I expected. This is where the DPG training really shined with the FTX's. I have talked more people out of the protective security industry and into law enforcement than I have talked into it. It's a tough industry with a lot of boring times, little rewards, and the occasional really awesome times. Sometimes the really awesome times are enough to keep guys going back for more. It's not for everyone. I am glad I went through it all but I am not sure I came out ahead in the end. I'll call it even.

My recommendation for anyone thinking they want to go into that field is to take one of the basic courses (like what DPG offered). Then get with a contracting company and see what they are requiring these days (they vary a bit from company to company and region you are operating in). Then talk with someone in the industry and really think about the return on investment. Like I said, I consider that I broke even going down that road. I know many that feel they lost on the deal. And to be fair, a handful that love it and could not see themselves doing anything else.

I hope that was what you were wanting. If anyone is considering or has considered getting in that industry, I am happy to talk to them.

Last edited:

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    One more thought on this (and I'll stop ranting, I promise). I have seen way too many guys who are training junkies (I can say that cause "I are one") who go through various pistol courses, move on to carbine courses, run out of advanced courses to take, then think that protective security training is the next level and want to take those classes. Yeah there are some cool videos out there and pictures of training classes that show the "cool" stuff. That's just smart marketing. With a few exceptions, you probably saw in a snapshot the best part of the two weeks of classes. Protective security is less shooting and more planning and project management than anything. If that's the stuff that gets you off, you are probably going to like it. If you think you are going to spend two weeks collapsing on a principle and shoving him into a tire squealing limo all while shooting back at reactive targets with ninjas and snipers, you are going to be REALLY disappointed. Okay, rant done.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Good, you can be assured I have REAL Ninja's at all my classes. We leave out doughnuts on breaks and they are always gone when we get back. So we know they are there.

Jackson, it sounds like you are just the type I want in my classes.

Josh

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good, you can be assured I have REAL Ninja's at all my classes. We leave out doughnuts on breaks and they are always gone when we get back. So we know they are there.

Jackson, it sounds like you are just the type I want in my classes.

Josh

It's good to see a sense of humor, sir. Some who are not regulars here who advertise their courses do not interact as well with people.

By the way, I grew up with Doug. He lived around the corner from me and was a year ahead of me in school. I had no contact with him after high school, but I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you keep your prices where they are and schedule some that are all on weekends, you may see me in one. If I attend, you can expect a detailed AAR to be posted on the board.

With pictures that include unseen ninjas. They're there, trust me. You just can't see them. Because they're ninjas.

jgideon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    Thanks Rhino. Doug was a great guy and his loss is still felt. DPG was really on the verge of some industry changing training, but sadly that all fell apart when he passed. He built a great company and helped a lot of people. It was sad to see it fall apart so quickly.

Well, training is a serious thing and I understand where some may not think humor has its place, but sometimes you have to break up the seriousness with a little humor. It keeps people on their toes. Well, interactive is pretty descriptive of me. LOL! What I have found with the classes I have taken is that I get more out of the classes where the trainer is approachable and I have time to ask questions. That's what I miss about Paul Gomez. You would learn just as much at dinner than you did in the class. I have a long way to go to be that, but that's my goal.

Jackson, as far as I know the plan is to keep the price under $50 ($30 right now) and have one each month year round. As schedules dictate, we should be able to get some all day Saturday classes in. Several LE Departments use that range, so it's tough to get it scheduled. But I am hoping they will be a bit more flexible the more we do these.

Top Bottom