• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I was just wanting to put a feeler out there to see if anyone is interested in a basic, easy to learn, easy to remember trauma management class?
    That all

P.S. there will be snacks!!!!!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I would definitely be interested. Mostly regarding major trauma/gunshot what to do, what kit to carry (ifaik) and how to use it, plus anything else would be a bonus :)
    thx

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    No prob. I think that people often consider the firearms aspect of these things but not too much of the aftermath. It is always good to know what to do and never have to do it. My thoughts always go to some unfortunate event where you/family are wounded or something like that. Accidents happen all the time and would love more people to be prepared. You can watch YouTube videos all day showing you how take care of these things but trying to do it while stressed is another thing all together...
    nad63-if I can get like 10 people to commit to this I will set it up, and bring snacks

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey It's great that you doing this and we did this with an army Medic and one thing that we did with our that went over Great was to include the current low end medical kit so we used the bandages and splints and then walked away with the kit we just learned to use.

It was received very well, We actually got more interest when we charged for the kit than when we did it and they didn't walk away with anything in their hands

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    If you don't mind, may I ask what your qualifications are? Also, where would this be and what price would you charge?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I saw some vids on youtube

Be careful. It's not clear that this is in purple. Some people seem to believe that they don't need instructors to learn to fight, because they can just watch some Youtube videos. I am guessing a subgroup of these people are trying to become brain surgeons the same way.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Seriously though, I am a former Combat Medic with a deployment to Iraq (and I was not a Fobbit).
    I am an EMT with a private company right now and going through the process to get on with Indy EMS.
    I was responsible for the training of Cav Scouts (if they can learn it, anyone can) in Basic Life Saver courses before and during our deployment.
    I am thinking $25 for the class. I would like to offer some basic supplies for people to take away as x10 stated. I believe I can put together a good blow out kit for that price. Like I said this is a feeler and if that price is a no go then I can be swayed...I would rather people be able to attend then have to worry about the money.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Be careful. It's not clear that this is in purple. Some people seem to believe that they don't need instructors to learn to fight, because they can just watch some Youtube videos. I am guessing a subgroup of these people are trying to become brain surgeons the same way.
    sorry i thought i changed the text colour...that woulda been no good at all

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    oh yeah...
    I am in Hendricks County so I would think that I would offer the class here or in one of the surrounding Counties
    The only thing is that I live in an apartment so I have to find another locale to hold it in...

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Are you certified to teach the Combat Lifesaver course? I'm an EMT/B, an AHA BLS instructor, and an RN; do you think there is any content that would be helpful to me?

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I am not sure what cert. Is needed yo teach Combat Life Saving. I know in the Army it was left to us Medics to train our guys and then we would host a large scale testing course for them to run through. I do believe that I have knowledge and experience that you could benefit from. As I am sure that you have info ans exp. That I could also.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    Hey guys I am a recently retired paramedic and I was wondering if you'd mind me throwing my 2 cents in on the topic. In Indiana you don't actually need a cert to teach a non cert class and for 25 bucks you're not going to be able to provide much of a kit. If memory serves me right a large trauma pad cost about $6 alone. Also if you're planning on doing like a one day class I would keep it really simple, like pressure points and direct pressure. I used to be a primary instructor and I found that the more you try to teach in one day the less they actually remember. Well that's just my 2 cents anyway. If you have any questions I may be able to answer hit me up. And if you want me to qualify myself I'd be happy too.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Thanks for your input. I will counter though. I have and can put together a kit that works. Being a Medic for a recon platoon and operating in the sandbox there are many items that can be used that most don't think about. Like I said, its not really about the money. If I lose a few dollars so be it. If I give someone info that might one day save a life, then, its worth it.

Also I want to add that direct pressure and pressure points are not the best option when a life is at stake and people are not intimately familiar with anatomy.

Last edited:

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    I understand what you're saying but I would hate to see people go straight to a tourniquet and cause permanent damage when they could have just held pressure for a while. And as far as anatomy , I was meaning that they are shown the major points. Well it's medicine so we will all have our own opinions on what's right and wrong. I didn't mean to step on any toes.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Yeah, I don't mean to come off as a jerk. It's way past my bedtime and I can't sleep. I get what you are saying about the pressure points. Like you said, its medicine and everyone has different ideas on what works best. I just wanna offer up what I know works and help others build a foundation for a skillset that they can build upon.

Top Bottom