• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They won't even have to change their Customer Service practices. They both are amongst the worst. I don't shop at either of their businesses anymore.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Every time I goto Dicks I always leave with with a bad taste in my mouth.

Their associates are always in a hurry to get off work, never want to answer any questions and when you complain they act like you're a pain in their butts.

Wow, what you did there... I see it.

On another note, Cabelas is ok (been to a couple, but would not say I have been to one of their biggest/best stores). I completely agree about the competition aspects (Bass Pro has been pulling in all kinds of suppliers and vertically pulling in every aspect of the fishing industry the last few years), and that reduced competition is a bad thing.

From my standpoint, it took me a few trips to the Noblesville Cabela's to spend a $50 gift card, when I could have dropped that easily at Bass Pro (primarily looking at fishing gear).

I've been to many Bass Pro shops locations, but again, only a few smaller Cabela's.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I hope that's not the case. Bass pro always seems to have full retail or above prices along with Gander Mt. Cabela's seems to have reasonable prices.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    too bad for us.
    Cabelas usually has medium-(some)higher end gear, and Bass Pro is a bi more low-middle end gear (Some exceptions to both)

Bass pro gets away with it because they sell a lot of their own in-house gear (Redhead, etc).

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That sucks. Cabela's is way better than Bass Pro for gun stuff. I live 20 minutes from both and never go to Bass Pro.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I've only been in Bass Pro once (Severville, TN) and they had a nice selection of reload stuff, but their prices were definitely higher. I like to stock up on S&B primers and Berry's bullets when Cabela's has them on sale. Hope that won't go away.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    One of the employees at Portage Bass Pro told me that part of the plan was Bass Pro was going to purchase the Hammond store and moth ball it. So long far better ammo prices and sales. Not sure what will happen with the Cabela's points and gift cards, but I've been using mine. Cabela's is supposedly having a meeting about its future at the end of this month.

:+1:Galyans was way better than Dick's.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I remember going to the original Galyans in Plainfield when I was very young. The show cases of firearms seemed to stretch for miles! I bought more than a few there over the years. I miss that place.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I worked at Galyans part time in high school and college (Castleton store and Greenwood store.) This was back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was such an awesome environment and a great store because of the fact it was locally owned. We had some phenominal buyers in all of the departments that really knew their stuff and had the freedom to make choices on what to put on the shelves. They knew what local customers wanted and didn't want. We were not forced to stock and sell generic garbage that would bring in the highest per piece margin. We stocked really high quality gear and turned the inventory over a lot. Such good memories of working there.

Everything but working Christmas time with the endless Christmas music looping on the speakers. I still cannot stand the song "Blue Christmas" due to the sheer quantity of times I heard it working at Galyans.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I worked at Galyans part time in high school and college (Castleton store and Greenwood store.) This was back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was such an awesome environment and a great store because of the fact it was locally owned. We had some phenominal buyers in all of the departments that really knew their stuff and had the freedom to make choices on what to put on the shelves. They knew what local customers wanted and didn't want. We were not forced to stock and sell generic garbage that would bring in the highest per piece margin. We stocked really high quality gear and turned the inventory over a lot. Such good memories of working there.

Everything but working Christmas time with the endless Christmas music looping on the speakers. I still cannot stand the song "Blue Christmas" due to the sheer quantity of times I heard it working at Galyans.

I hear that. I worked for Dunhams in the early 90s. To this day I want to throat punch someone when I hear Edie Brickell What I am. Damn that was a short loop.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I miss Galyan's also, absolutely loved going to the original store in Plainfield when I was a kid.

I'm 50/50 between Bass Pro and Cabela's. I seem to find more of what I'm after at Bass Pro which is usually camo clothing.

I liked Galyan's. They had an actual firearms section, not the joke of a one that Dicks has.

I'm not fan of either, but BP buying Cabela's is, IMO, a bad thing for the customer.

oezer35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    Knox
    Maybe Bass Pro can school Cabelas on customer service. I buy a lot of waterfowl hear from Cabelas and always. ALWAYS. Have issues with their customer service whenever I have to interact with them. All the way down to basic questions to on sale items. I once asked a guy stocking shelves with ammo a question about a specific round that I was unfamiliar with. His reply. " eh you'll have to ask someone in this department". I was in too much disbelief to say anything back.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I remember going to the castleton galyans right after the guy blew his brains out at the gun counter. Anyone else rember that? 2001 or 2002, something like that.

Top Bottom