• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I currently have a a black and decker smart charger, that is a POS, and an antique trickle charger. They are both going in the trash, and I want to get a new one tomorrow. What do the INGO pros recommend?

It's been a bad day, and there are currently two vehicles idling in my driveway. :xmad:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a similar diehard charger and have used it a fair amount over the years. NAPA has some good chargers too. We abuse those pretty hard at work and they just keep going

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I currently have a a black and decker smart charger, that is a POS, and an antique trickle charger. They are both going in the trash, and I want to get a new one tomorrow. What do the INGO pros recommend?

It's been a bad day, and there are currently two vehicles idling in my driveway. :xmad:
    What is the intended use? Keep in mind a lot of the new "smart" chargers won't do anything if connected to a very deeply discharged battery.

Personally I needed a charger/maintainer for when I store my vehicle so I chose the below:
    https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-...25044988&sr=8-3&keywords=ctek+battery+charger

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Still using the same Craftsman that I've had since the early 80s, those things are immortal.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Any advantage to the bigger wheeled units?

The smart charger was a pain in the ass. It wouldn't charge a dead battery. I would have to put the little trickle charger on a dead one before the "smart one" would recognize it.

Do they make make a charger that just does what it's told, or do they all "think" for themselves these days? Sometimes technology ain't all it's cracked up to be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any advantage to the bigger wheeled units?

The smart charger was a pain in the ass. It wouldn't charge a dead battery. I would have to put the little trickle charger on a dead one before the "smart one" would recognize it.

Do they make make a charger that just does what it's told, or do they all "think" for themselves these days? Sometimes technology ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I have a 2/6 amp small portable. I also have a larger wheeled unit. Both are pretty old. I have no idea whats even available these days but mine work.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    The wheeled units are usually more robust and take the beating of shop use. A manual charger with a timer may be what your looking for. Some can be part smart and manual. I'll look thru the tool book tomorrow morning and see what the latest offering are.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We have two of the wheeled units at our shop. The old Associated is by far the best. I've used battery tenders before with mixed results. IMHO, can't beat a "big" charger.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What is the intended use? Keep in mind a lot of the new "smart" chargers won't do anything if connected to a very deeply discharged battery.

Personally I needed a charger/maintainer for when I store my vehicle so I chose the below:
    https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-...25044988&sr=8-3&keywords=ctek+battery+charger

I have a 30 year old wheeled unit, a 35 year old 1 amp charger, and a standard old school craftsman 10 amp. I just bought that ctek to try to salvage and maintain several sick batteries I have. I did quite a bit of online research before deciding on the ctek

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    Still using the same Craftsman that I've had since the early 80s, those things are immortal.

This Sears Allstate battery charger has been in the family for 50+ years and still works and doesn't think.

Attachments

• WIN_20180430_07_39_19_Pro.jpg
      WIN_20180430_07_39_19_Pro.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 5

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

+1 for this guy. Will charge a (at least nearly) flat battery given enough time. Smart chargers have a place and that place is not fully charging a toast battery in 3hrs. If it's discharged to where a smart charger doesn't recognize it, you've already cut the battery's life and capacity by 1/2 or more.

the giant roll-around carts tend to be able to put out enough juice to start a car with a dead battery and dump a lot of juice through a heavily discharged battery quickly. think sledgehammer. not much use as a long term maintainer though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have some schumacher charger that's all automatic... I can choose type of battery, and charging rate... it works.
    I have a backup old charger/starter as a backup.

Top Bottom