Be Careful at Range USA - Training yourself or Guest will result in being Banned from Property

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder if it has something to do with insurance?
    Training an inexperienced person, could potentially result in a fatal accident. Since the company has no idea the experience the person training has?
    When we took my MIL, she never handled or shot a real firearm. I'm glad I only loaded a single round.
    It took several single shots, for her to comprehend some things she did wrong. She eventually shot a full mag, but it was a long day.
    That is part of it. Liability. But Im sure its more about cutting into their instructor profits.

But refunding your money and banning you is a bit much. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    That is part of it. Liability. But Im sure its more about cutting into their instructor profits.

But refunding your money and banning you is a big much. Sheesh.
    From that standpoint, it's pretty ignorant, and a bad business plan.
    There is a lot of revenue loss, over a few bucks of instruction time.

I assume they require an ammo purchase for use of the range? That alone, adds up quickly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    From that standpoint, it's pretty ignorant, and a bad business plan.
    There is a lot of revenue loss, over a few bucks of instruction time.

I assume they require an ammo purchase for use of the range? That alone, adds up quickly.
    Every range Ive ever been to only requires their ammo in their rental guns. Otherwise you use your own. (with limits on types like steel core, incidiary, etc)

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I can see ammo requiring a scan to verify age. Like several grocery stores do to increase scan rates and reduce illegal sales. I dont like it but I understand it. But they still wouldnt be scanning my license. Law requires VERIFICATION. All that is required is for the clerk to read the date on the card. Nothing more.

Why?
    ALL of your data (and then some) is on that 2D barcode. I dont care if they SAY they dont capture or verify anything but the DOB. Do they allow cashiers back in the cash office? No. Why not? They wont steal any cash. Honest. No, you limit access to what is REQUIRED to do your job to prevent misuse. There is no way (except me preventing a scan) to prevent them from capturing my info and adding it to their database for marketing, tracking, demographics, etc. If I want to be tracked, I'll sign up for their discount card. At least doing that I get a cut by getting the discounted prices in exchange for my data. /rant
    I have to completely agree with you my friend!

Lpherr

Occupied
    Every range Ive ever been to only requires their ammo in their rental guns. Otherwise you use your own. (with limits on types like steel core, incidiary, etc)
    You're probably correct. I was thinking Midwest required purchasing ammo, but it could have been a rental.
    That was a while back. You know the quote about memory and anatomy.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Yeah, this place keeps getting worse and worse.

BTW.. just for kicks I looked up their rules and this is rule number 14 below:

14. NO instructing or qualifying students on Range USA's range, unless you are a certified Range USA instructor.

For some reason this place seems like it was setup in California.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I will no longer do business with them for several reasons.

-I was told last time I bought that corporate policy and their new sales software requires employees to scan a license for all transactions (I was picking up a small bottle of oil)
    -I have never found anything in their store that I could not find cheaper at another LGS
    -I have gone there to try several different rental pistols before I buy and had to buy crappy, factory reload ammo at a price 20% higher than new factory ammo at a nearby store
    -Their rental firearms are poorly maintained and rarely if ever cleaned and frequently malfunction in my experience
    -the nearest store to me has 20 bays and only one RSO even when the range id full and I have been swept multiple times and seen many dangerous situations (saw a guy banging an AR15 on the floor trying to clear (I hope) a jam while the RSO was on the other end of the range.

rant done

If you are looking for a nice place to shoot on your side of town I have heard lots of positive feedback on Parabellum Arms. I and many others in here are members at Marion County Fish & Game which os also not far for you and a nice place to shoot pistols, shotguns or rimfire rifles. Unfortunately they do not allow centerfire rife but a yearly membership is cheaper than 10 range visits to RUSA

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    :wow: I can't believe I'm reading this.. I knew they were becoming more restrictive but I've never heard the silly rule listed being enforced.. I taught classes and did RSO duty at Greenwood location for a couple of years. It is somewhat of a running joke that when two people are on the same lane BLB (blind leading the blind) training is being conducted. In fact I was there this morning and commented to the RSO about it happening as we watched. Not saying you don't know what you are doing but most times the "training" customers are giving other customers is nothing short of scary.
    I would be very interested in seeing something in writing from Melissa stating you have been banned from the store and the reason behind it but if they have any brains they will offer you an apology instead.
    I'm sure Parabellum would be happy to have you and your brother and would put no such silly restrictions on your time there.
    In fact I'm at Parabellum about every week for something and would be happy to meet you there and introduce you to the owner and answer any questions you have about training.. PM me if you are interested.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :wow: I can't believe I'm reading this.. I knew they were becoming more restrictive but I've never heard the silly rule listed being enforced.. I taught classes and did RSO duty at Greenwood location for a couple of years. It is somewhat of a running joke that when two people are on the same lane BLB (blind leading the blind) training is being conducted. In fact I was there this morning and commented to the RSO about it happening as we watched. Not saying you don't know what you are doing but most times the "training" customers are giving other customers is nothing short of scary.
    I would be very interested in seeing something in writing from Melissa stating you have been banned from the store and the reason behind it but if they have any brains they will offer you an apology instead.
    I'm sure Parabellum would be happy to have you and your brother and would put no such silly restrictions on your time there.
    In fact I'm at Parabellum about every week for something and would be happy to meet you there and introduce you to the owner and answer any questions you have about training.. PM me if you are interested.
    This. Parabellum is THE range on the west side. Forget the chain and go local.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So let me see if I got this down.

INGO hates corporate stores that open ranges for the masses to have a place to try, buy, and shoot in an environment comfortable to new gun owners because they have corporate type CYA rules.

INGO hates LGS’s that are not as cheap as the internet, charge too much for a transfer, have their owners quirky personalities and are cliquish.

INGO hates online sellers because the service on the cheapest price is not good enough, shipping delays, and difficult return policies.

INGO, looking for utopia…

:lmfao::cool::lmfao:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Scanning of personal data for anything other than a firearm purchase?? Is your personal data being collected for nefarious purposes say as in a registry to be turned over to a government alphabet agency????????:shady: I'm glad i only shoot outdoor ranges and private property myself, 20 bays how many idiots are in those bays??

Mcoleman85

Pope
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Hobart
    Their response to the given information sure seemed a bit irrational. No one, especially a paying customer should get such a drastic reaction to that type of situation. Take your business where it will be appreciated. Bye Felisha!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    INGO hates corporate stores that open ranges for the masses to have a place to try, buy, and shoot in an environment comfortable to new gun owners because they have corporate type CYA rules.
    But it's NOT comfortable for new gun owners when they can't even have someone with whom they are familiar introduce them to shooting before deciding to pursue formal training.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have been curious about parabellum and thank you everyone for the recommendations!
    Seriously, depending on where you are in Brownsburg you have two very good choices for local gun store indoor ranges near you. If you are in Brownsburg proper, on the south, east West or southeast sides Parabellum is your go-to. Nice people well ran with courteous employees and every time I've been there courteous customers.

If you are on the north east corner of brownsburg then you may also want to check out Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Little smaller than Parabellum but purpose built as a range.

Sadly, RangeUSA just seems to be getting worse and worse. I don't care about the purpose there is no reason to scan my ID, effectively asking for my papers, for any business transaction. If you want to look at my license to verify my state residency or something I have put on a 4473 fine. You want to machine scan it, in most cases I'm going somewhere else.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    Almost every store asks for phone number or email now. Just tell them no. They all, including Range USA still sell you whatever your buying unless it's a restricted item. Their range their rules. I shoot at Greenwood often and never have any big problems, maybe the other branches are different.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I will no longer do business with them for several reasons.

-I was told last time I bought that corporate policy and their new sales software requires employees to scan a license for all transactions (I was picking up a small bottle of oil)
    -I have never found anything in their store that I could not find cheaper at another LGS
    -I have gone there to try several different rental pistols before I buy and had to buy crappy, factory reload ammo at a price 20% higher than new factory ammo at a nearby store
    -Their rental firearms are poorly maintained and rarely if ever cleaned and frequently malfunction in my experience
    -the nearest store to me has 20 bays and only one RSO even when the range id full and I have been swept multiple times and seen many dangerous situations (saw a guy banging an AR15 on the floor trying to clear (I hope) a jam while the RSO was on the other end of the range.

rant done

If you are looking for a nice place to shoot on your side of town I have heard lots of positive feedback on Parabellum Arms. I and many others in here are members at Marion County Fish & Game which os also not far for you and a nice place to shoot pistols, shotguns or rimfire rifles. Unfortunately they do not allow centerfire rife but a yearly membership is cheaper than 10 range visits to RUSA
    If I had to guess, I'd bet they found the DL data from range customers to be such a treasure-trove of info about where people were from, they couldn't resist getting user location data for all retail customers to help plan the location of their next store, so they can set up their next pirate ship location and "Guitar Center" the locals out of town.

+ 1 for Parabellum. Also Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. Unfortunately since some AH deprived us of the range at Beech Grove Firearms by firing a mag of tracer into their rubber backstop, those are the only two good range + shop operations left in Indy (that I know of). I have been to Indy Trading Post, but found their ventilation dismal. Beech Grove covered the south part of town nicely, so no matter where you lived, you didn't have to drive far. (I long wondered whether "incendiary ammo guy" was really a Point Blank plant).

Also, Marion Co. F&G does allow centerfire, it's just (mostly) pistol caliber centerfire only...the list of approved calibers is on their website, if I recall.

As for Point Blank / Range USA, I left several boxes of ammo on their counter a couple years ago when the counter gal doubled down on the license scan thing, and never went back.

It's a shame that so many newbies end up going there. But I get it; one-stop shopping and range and instruction right in one place. The shooting sports are hard enough to get into without AHs like this taking advantage.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Almost every store asks for phone number or email now.
    This is to get you on their marketing list (aka "members club"), or just to receive their coupon emails (like Harbor Freight).

I do happen to like getting the HF emails with coupons. They also email me my receipt, although I still get the paper one. I'm old school like that. :):

Top Bottom