• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nirol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    The only arm-twisting I've experienced has involved accepting the best prices I've found. I'd shop there (and make the decent drive to and from) even if the prices were on par with other stores...but time and time again the prices have been great. I don't mind paying extra when I receive extra value (service e.g.) but at BGF I get both...every. stinking. time. :dunno:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    For those who are praising BGF....have you been to other gun shops in town? Do you have something to which you can compare? I've been there 3 times. They'd have to pay me to come back. "Great service." "Great people to deal with." Really? You can't go in their tiny store for 5 seconds w/o being arm-twisted into getting your wallet out to buy something. They don't allow anyone to just browse their guns. You either buy, quickly, or you get out. No exceptions. The most annoying of all is the old, skinny guy (that is, when they can get him back in the store and off the sidewalk outside where he smokes 50 minutes out of each hour.) Their business model, for a gun shop, is hopelessly flawed.

For those of you tripping over yourselves to post how much you like them, get out and experience some other shops in town. There are zero good shops in the Indy area but there are several which are definitely better than BGF.

This is all a bunch of crap, must be a competitor.
    Doug does take a smoke brake, but that's their business not yours.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I see Jake has a habit of "hit n run" posting. Make some outlandish or controversial claim, then never come back to defend it.. There is a name for posters like that, but last time I used it I got warned :D

I have been in BGF dozens of times, and have bought from them as well. No high pressure, showed me anything I wanted to see, even when I said "well I am just looking right now" and they STILL showed me anything I wanted to see.. They have never been anything but helpful with me, even when I was an utter n00b..

I have also been in there and just BS'd with them, or other customers, and never got even so much as the stink eye for taking up space without buying.

So, as pointed out previously in the thread Jake, the only common denominator in your experience, is you..

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see Jake has a habit of "hit n run" posting. Make some outlandish or controversial claim, then never come back to defend it.. There is a name for posters like that, but last time I used it I got warned :D

Uh huh, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.:D

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    The only problem with BGF is the time that you spend in there. Every time I go in there it's at least an hour before I leave. I think that it's great that the older guys in there share their stories with you all while showing you any gun that they have without making you feel like a nuisance.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    The only arm-twisting I've experienced has involved accepting the best prices I've found. I'd shop there (and make the decent drive to and from) even if the prices were on par with other stores...but time and time again the prices have been great. I don't mind paying extra when I receive extra value (service e.g.) but at BGF I get both...every. stinking. time. :dunno:

I know... Lol! Whats up with that? :hooked:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    2. Yes, the old gray guy likes to smoke. We make him go outside. But that old gray guy has years and years and years of gun shop and customer service expierence. He is an excellent salesman, a good friend and we are proud to have him. We sure the heck wouldn't want him at one of our competitors shops. So for now, we will keep his smoking clause in his contract. Maybe in the new shop we can make him go out back.

3. To say we either make you buy or get out I have one word to respond to that.....Herman. (Inside joke, but I'm sure the sharp readers will pick it up.)
    I have been in there next to Herman a few times BSing with you guys many times. Hell when i come in i get a familiar greeting, Greg has remembered by name since the 2nd time i came in, they even ask how my gf is doing. Even when i go in to window shop Greg will break out guns that are just awesome so i can have a look. Every time he says "check this one out" it is a great piece at a great price.

Corey, those who don't get #3 haven't spent much time in any gunshop that's ever been anywhere near Beech Grove. Heck, for a long time I thought Herman's last name was Albro. :D

He is at speedway every morning when i get my coffee as well.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I live pretty close to them and I can say nothing but good. I have bought from them and will again, sorry you had a bad time they have always let me see anything I wanted with no pressure. We need to keep these kind of shops open they are great people. Dan

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I made my first, but definitely not last trip to BCG today. Very nice, helpful, but not pushy staff. I was in the store for a sum total of 5 minutes before I had started up a conversation with one of the staff about pistols. Never did he come close to pressuring me to buy anything (although I probably would have if they would have had a G19 Gen4 in stock). When I finally told him what I was after, he said that they would put my name on the wall and call if they got one in. He also said that there was no commitment, if I found one before they did, no big deal. I'll be returning and unless I see something otherwise, they have a loyal customer already.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I was just in there a week ago and spent about 1/2 hour just looking. I was asked if I needed any help and said I was browsing and they left me alone until I want to look at a used gun that I wound up purchasing. Since the gun was on consignment, they had to call the seller to see if they would take the price I offered. They did. The other thing that surprised me was they took a credit card with no difference in price.

Dry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Accepting credit cards for no extra fee is NORMAL in retail. Even in many gun shops, though not all. The industry standards are so-so.

Any gun shop, with the possible exception of Don's, generates a wide variety of opinions. My experience at Beech Grove was ok, until the owner decided to engage me on personal matters that were, frankly, above his pay grade. That was after I spent almost 2K at his establishment. I think he is a little too fond of himself, but your results may vary. I am sure he has made many of you feel special. I have been to all Indy gun shops worth mentioning. Beech Grove is about average. The rest is personalities.

Top Bottom