• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Hey guys I need some help. I own a rental property in Beech Grove. I just received my property tax statement form my escrow. My taxes went up over 40% from May to November of this year. I know I don't get the homestead tax credit for the property, but I have this house for over 12 years now. I am going to appeal to the Assessors office and contact my mortgage holder and get to the bottom of this. Has anyone's property taxes went up this much? A tax increase like that I think I would have heard about it on the news. Please chime in. Thank you. -Jason

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Did you recently lose the homestead credit? If so, when I converted my home to a rental my taxes doubled in Marion County.
    I've it's been without a homestead credit for several years, and the taxes increased 40%, I'd be a bit miffed as well

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I haven't had the tax credit for 12 years now. I just went up out of the blue. I pay double for this small house in Beech Grove then I do for my house I live in that is over twice its size. -Jason

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Hey guys I need some help. I own a rental property in Beech Grove. I just received my property tax statement form my escrow. My taxes went up over 40% from May to November of this year. I know I don't get the homestead tax credit for the property, but I have this house for over 12 years now. I am going to appeal to the Assessors office and contact my mortgage holder and get to the bottom of this. Has anyone's property taxes went up this much? A tax increase like that I think I would have heard about it on the news. Please chime in. Thank you. -Jason

To be clear, this is from the escrow service, not the guberment? Escrow services are notorious for getting it wrong, and over charging you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To be clear, this is from the escrow service, not the guberment? Escrow services are notorious for getting it wrong, and over charging you.
    Yes this.

Taxes dont change mid-year. Your spring amount will be your fall amount unless something extraordinary occurs. you should have received a tax statement from Marion County even if you pay them out of escrow. Check it against that first.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    That is my plan. For some reason I can't find that form. Of all things to loose. I have my May tax bill but not my November. According to my escrow they payed 40% more to Marion County in November than May. I am going to call the Assessor's office on Monday and see if I can get a copy of my November bill. -Jason

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That is my plan. For some reason I can't find that form. Of all things to loose. I have my May tax bill but not my November. According to my escrow they payed 40% more to Marion County in November than May. I am going to call the Assessor's office on Monday and see if I can get a copy of my November bill. -Jason

If you do a google search for the assessor's office you can put in the address of the property and see what the tax rate is.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    88GT thank you for the help. I cannot send you a PM as I don't have 50 replys yet. I guess I read more than I type. If you could send me another PM with a email or something I could send you the info you asked for. I found the property card on the property but I didn't see anything about what I get charged for taxes. -Jason

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The escrow service sends you the bill and pays the taxes for you, right? They'll bill you at a constant rate that's set to the tax rate at the time, and if the tax rate goes up, the escrow will get out of balance. When it goes too low, they'll hit you up to get it back up to some threshold. My mortgage payment used to go up or sometimes even down because they didn't keep up with what my tax rate was, but doing that for every mortgage would be a nightmare, so I didn't blame them.

Top Bottom