JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Don't start understanding things now...

It would only lead to no good. Next people will be clicking on links and actually reading articles. This is INGO, we ain't got time for dat! :ingo:

[video=youtube;zGxwbhkDjZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxwbhkDjZM[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    0vta6Yi.png

125183460_2779804485566546_8672146580852302441_n.jpg

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My drunk uncle won't be able to attend this year because of the restrictions.

But, he's probably busy with his president-elect transition team. :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Got me a great big ol' brand new turkey injector yesterday at Rural King.
    Hmm, now I gotta decide on a favor!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Why did the total available ICU beds decline from 2162 to 2152 from one day to the next? That alone could account for more than half the increase in the percentage of beds going to covid without a single new patient

And the rate of increase in the use of ICU beds for non-Covid is almost 50% higher than the rate of increase in Covid beds, is there a pandemic of non-Covid disease or something?

There was an unexpected spike in the severity of patients over a single day in many of the local hospitals (Indianapolis and surrounding areas).

I believe most are eliminating elective surgeries that require overnight stay in order to keep beds free for more acute patients. Most hospitals operate at or near capacity on any given day. Some beds are flexible and other are not; they may establish specific floors or wards based on similar levels of acuity or condition. Or in the case of Covid, perhaps zero pressure rooms. The concerning thing is that the availability of inpatient beds is always low. It's not unusual for patients to wait in Emergency Room suites when being admitted due to lack of available beds. Hospitals have to 'plan ahead' when working to empty their inpatient beds to allow for an unexpected influx of acute cases. This doesn't happen quickly. Likely there are patients who were scheduled for surgeries next week or in the next several weeks who have already been told they will get bumped because their surgery requires overnight observation. There will be an intense drive to discharge patients as quickly as their medical needs will allow in order to empty the bed for the next patient.

Looking at this dispassionately - it's flu season, many patients delayed care due to fear of visiting an emergency room during a pandemic, and there were those who were slated for elective surgeries very early on but were taken off the calendar because of Covid restrictions... This adds up to what could be a medical tidal wave. My dearest friend just had her 'elective' mastectomy a few weeks ago, and it required an overnight stay. Had it been scheduled for this coming week she would have been bumped due to Covid.

Hospitals are trying to be prepared as best they can but it really all depends on how people in the community are responding to keeping everyone as safe as possible. Don't go out when you're sick, you could have a bug that others could catch. It's really that simple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was an unexpected spike in the severity of patients over a single day in many of the local hospitals (Indianapolis and surrounding areas).

I believe most are eliminating elective surgeries that require overnight stay in order to keep beds free for more acute patients. Most hospitals operate at or near capacity on any given day. Some beds are flexible and other are not; they may establish specific floors or wards based on similar levels of acuity or condition. Or in the case of Covid, perhaps zero pressure rooms. The concerning thing is that the availability of inpatient beds is always low. It's not unusual for patients to wait in Emergency Room suites when being admitted due to lack of available beds. Hospitals have to 'plan ahead' when working to empty their inpatient beds to allow for an unexpected influx of acute cases. This doesn't happen quickly. Likely there are patients who were scheduled for surgeries next week or in the next several weeks who have already been told they will get bumped because their surgery requires overnight observation. There will be an intense drive to discharge patients as quickly as their medical needs will allow in order to empty the bed for the next patient.

Looking at this dispassionately - it's flu season, many patients delayed care due to fear of visiting an emergency room during a pandemic, and there were those who were slated for elective surgeries very early on but were taken off the calendar because of Covid restrictions... This adds up to what could be a medical tidal wave. My dearest friend just had her 'elective' mastectomy a few weeks ago, and it required an overnight stay. Had it been scheduled for this coming week she would have been bumped due to Covid.

Hospitals are trying to be prepared as best they can but it really all depends on how people in the community are responding to keeping everyone as safe as possible. Don't go out when you're sick, you could have a bug that others could catch. It's really that simple.

Thank you for that clarity.

And yes when did we stop counting regular flu patience and everything seems to be covid related.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Hospitals in Evansville/Owensboro are always at or near capacity now and way before the Covid BS. Nothing unusual from what I'm told. :dunno:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Mine was lost in a helicopter accident...

Lol, just by coincidence, watched this earlier with the missus... annual tradition.

Got me a great big ol' brand new turkey injector yesterday at Rural King.
    Hmm, now I gotta decide on a favor!

My go to is melted butter and Fred's plus seasonings... apple smoked nice and slow, about 6-8 beers, I mean hours, depending upon the size... then butter it, salt, pepper, and finish on the grill for crispy skin.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thank you for that clarity.

And yes when did we stop counting regular flu patience and everything seems to be covid related.

In some areas during the past few months there has been a shortage of the swabs required that are used for both covid and flu testing. The mitigation efforts might also be slowing flu but it could be that they're not able to test for both and they're prioritizing covid?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom