• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    I am just starting out in the wonderful world of rifles and in so pretty ignorant when it comes to them. My main starting point is should I go AR/AK/AR Pistol? Do I go .556, 300BLK, or 7.62? the natural question to help answer is "what am I trying to accomplish?" I really just want one for the round about mix of purposes: another form of home protection, something to help acclimate to rifles, something fun to plink with on the range, in case good 'ol Hillary gets elected, etc. 300BLK would be cool because I could even use it to hunt if I ever decide to hunt in the future. So maybe what I am after is just some suggestions on what some people out there use and what for. clearing up whether I should go full length rifle or pistol format, and what purposes different calibers serve. I will probably be looking at trying some out in the next month and have a $500-$800 budget. Let me know if anyone has anything to add. thanks!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Normally for a first time rifle shooter I recommend a decent quality bolt action 22lr. Learn the basics then upgrade to something larger. A bolt action because IMHO it forces a person to concentrate on the fundamentals instead of using firepower to cover up deficiencies in technique. A 22 because the rifle and ammo are cheap, less noise, and no recoil.
    Then once you get some experience go for it! After that a good AR style rifle in 5.56 would be the next step. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a solid basic rifle to see what you like in a rifle. AR because right now they're easy to find, easy to upgrade, and relatively inexpensive. 5.56 because there's tons of variety, easy on the wallet, and low recoil.

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    My first rifle was an AR15, I sold it for an AK, now I'm on an AK binge owning 5. To me the AK is more fun to shoot than an AR (not saying anything bad about AR I still enjoy the one I have now). But if I could do it all over again I would start with a Ruger 10/22. The one I have is 100% reliable, and accurate. You also learn a lot about shooting rifles... what feels comfortable, if you shoot better right or left, so on so forth...

Also, 7.62 is extremely easy to find and recoil is exceptional... I love them I just got a case of 1000 for $289.99

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    John had a great idea. You wont be disappointed with a Ruger 10/22. And if you ever want to change things up, its the #1 rifle for aftermarket upgrades and add-ons. You start with a solid rifle, and if thats not good enough for you can change things out.

Then after learning the fundamentals (I recommend Revere's Riders or Appleseed in that order... they both teach the same stuff so you dont need both. Pick whichever is most convenient for you) you can upgrade to a centerfire rifle based on your needs.

Ive got all sorts of rifles and pistols, but my 10/22 is my all time favorite gun to shoot.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Another vote for 10/22. You can learn to shoot with it at a revere's rider's or appleseed event. You can customize them however you wish... the options for that platform are pretty much endless.

Then later you can decide if you want to go ar, ak, etc...

But I'd also buy a lower now before elections hit lol

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd pretty much echo what is said above. A .22 rifle is an excellent platform to learn on. There are plenty of options and a 10/22 is a very good one. If you really want to jump up to a serious rifle, then a standard .223/5.56 AR-15 or 7.62x39 AK47 are both excellent choices. Unless you have some specific reasoning, I'd say an AR/AK pistol is far down the list of priorities.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I learned on an old Remington Targetmaster bolt action .22 single shot. I'd recommend it to anyone.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Everyone needs a .22 rifle. For starts, look at the CZ 22's. Very nice and keepers. AR's are nice, but if I was going to "pull the trigger" today, I'd pop the bucks for a nice wood M1A in .308.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    10/22
    oddly, I don't own one. Never have.
    But if I were starting out, no doubt that is what I would purchase as an adult.

Lever action or bolt action slow kids down. That's good. But as an adult, being able to cheek weld and see what is happening on 10-25 shot strings? I think that's very valuable.

And you can always get 80% of your money back on a 10/22. Unless you start dicking around with it. Then, you'll loose 50-60% on your modifications.

Look for a solid used 10/22. I don't see how you could go wrong.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    It just so happens that there is a Revere's Riders 2-day basic rifle event next weekend (24-25 September) in Bedford.

Sign up here: Upcoming Events ? 2-day Basic Rifle (Bedford, IN) ? Revere's Riders

Read more here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-bedford-contingent-bedford-sept-24-25-a.html

If you do sign-up, let me know and we'll have a loaner rifle for you to use. Let's see, we have quite the smorgasbord ... 10/22's, Marlin 795's, a Ruger American Rimfire, a Ruger SR22 (a standard 10/22 with a fancy AR15 looking jacket), and quite a few others. On Sunday, we'll break out at least one U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, and maybe an AR & AK or two that you can test drive.

Just get signed up and let us know how we can help.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    ^That's quite an offer. You should really look into taking him up on it. Quality rifle training at an excellent price plus the chance to test-fire some different rifles to see what you like before you commit any money to a purchase.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It just so happens that there is a Revere's Riders 2-day basic rifle event next weekend (24-25 September) in Bedford.

Sign up here: Upcoming Events ? 2-day Basic Rifle (Bedford, IN) ? Revere's Riders

Read more here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-bedford-contingent-bedford-sept-24-25-a.html

If you do sign-up, let me know and we'll have a loaner rifle for you to use. Let's see, we have quite the smorgasbord ... 10/22's, Marlin 795's, a Ruger American Rimfire, a Ruger SR22 (a standard 10/22 with a fancy AR15 looking jacket), and quite a few others. On Sunday, we'll break out at least one U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, and maybe an AR & AK or two that you can test drive.

Just get signed up and let us know how we can help.

run, don't walk to this. TJ and crew will get you squared away. You won't regret it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you can get some training before you decide, definitely do that. While we could give you our opinions all day, what you really need is YOUR opinion, and you just gotta get some learning in before you'll have an informed opinion.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just wondering how old you are.

My guess is 27-28yo if we are talking OP and not Robby...

OP, I agree with everyone saying to go with a 10/22 if you are truly learning how to shoot etc. I think it's the place a lot of people start and for good reason.

However, I would understand wanting to get another rifle especially with the market being so prime to buy right now. No matter what you choose I would go with a full 16" rifle. Beyond that I would stay with a 5.56 AR or a 7.62 AK. You can get a quality rifle in your budget and the save up for a quality optic, some mags, and ammo. It will be the best option for you at this point in time I think. I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND going to the Reveres Riders event others have mentioned.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I agree with everyone else. The 10/22 is your best bet. Start with tech sights and upgrade from there. If you want an AR, a 10/22 with tech sights could make you a decent shooter with an AR.

Top Bottom