• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Let's speak hypothetically. If you have $1200 to spend and you really want an O/U (not a pump, bolt, single shot or semi) and you want to maximize your dollars on an O/U that will provide years of use and retain some value what would you look at and why? We are going to assume, for the sake of argument, that all guns will fit with no problems or adjustments necessary.

If a Stoeger Model ? is the best, then why is it the best (because that's what you bought is not a valid point)? If it's a Browning, then which model and why do you like it? If it's Remington, then which model and why or why not (parts availability)? Let's assume that I have never heard of a shotgun before and I am asking for help on what I should be looking for in an O/U. Why do you prefer 26" over 28 or 30"? Why do you prefer to shoot top then bottom? Why do you prefer one choke vs. a different one.

in the $1200 range read below
    any browning with "invector plus" chokes.(more common the the plain invector short production years.)
    any beretta with changable chokes.

both of those will handle 50k-75k shells before needing firing pins or springs. mine was around 65-75k(i got my browning used)

which barrel you shoot is preference. your chokes are game speific and brand spefic. Italian chokes are generally tighter than most. you can ask briley even chokes of the same size will pattern different.

barrel length is perfence and game specific. 32" barrels in skeet or sporting clays for swing weight but horrible for hunting. every clay game was won at some point with a 24inch barrel.

you can pick up 26 and 28 inch barrel brownings and beretta's for $800-$1200

this brand new browning on gun broker at $1,275, means you can find it cheaper else where.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=277970441

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Thank you, Hookeye. That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. And, after spending the last 2 hours using the search feature on Shotgun World I have to admit I am exhausted from reading.

Seems that I may have been wrong on barrel length and 30" is a good all around trap/SC length for O/U. Obviously the shooter determines most. Does IGC let you "borrow" one of the used guns to try out? I am unsure, but if noone here knows I will be asking them. I also realized a lot of them use 20ga which really surprised me. Maybe it's because they are just that much better and don't need the handicaps that I/we will be needing.

Sadly, I know this is all just the beginning of a long process. So many things to consider beyond the fit. Weight, barrel length, chokes......

My 28" 870 Wingmaster gets the job done for me right now, hopefully it won't be holding me back for a while. At the end of the day it's about fun to us and it sure is a lot more fun busting the clay.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    If I had $1K or a little more to spend on ONE shotgun-it would definitely be a Browning. I am quite happy with my Stoeger Condor,Beretta 390,Winchester pump,orS&W Eastfield pump to shoot trap,but Grandpa always had Brownings (yes he could afford them) and they are beautiful,flawless,dependable firearms. My 3 sons have each inherited one of his old guns-a great legacy brand IMHO.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Personally, I thought there would be more O/U owners speaking up about how there gun has been flawless or their shooting buddy's has been and look into brand XXX and model XXX.
    Most real O/U shooters are way beyond you and your buddies skill level and they know posts filled with opinions and personal preferences on the internet don't replace shooting a gun. They also know cheap O/U's are just that, crap, no matter what others may post but why argue about personal preference and experience. If a crap gun works for a guy, how can you argue with that? One guy may be talking shooting 25 to 100 birds in a day, the other may be in the 300 to 500 range. Apples to Oranges.

The low end Beretta's, Brownings, Rugers are probably what he can afford and should consider, they are all good. Are any under $1200 new these days?

You can jerk off with any pump, get lucky with a quality semi but O/U's are different. Why would he jump from a pump to an O/U if he does not already know what O/U he wants and why?

Tell him to buy a semi auto and be glad he did. He does not even know why he needs an O/U and frankly he doesn't. That is what most experienced shooters see in threads like these and there is not much to be gained by them. "Go to the club, shoot, talk, listen and learn" was the best advice given.

1 hour at a club with shooters is worth 20 hours of BS internet research.

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Got him talked into IGC this weekend. I'm leaving it all up to him on what he wants to do now. If he gets one, great. Then I can shoot it, too. He's considering one that was on here as well.

verniebernie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Bradenton Florida
    I think you could get a real nice used quality gun withing the guidelines that you have listed. I have a ruger red label 20ga. fixed choke model that I like. I have a Rottweil 72 Olympia model with the tula choke barrels that I have been shooting since 1982 and love it, there no longer made but you can buy one reasonable. 3 years ago I wanted to buy a really nice Sporting Clay gun and took everyones advice and had one custom built for me that was fitted and crafted for me which is a Beretta S05 but you don't have to buy one that expensive just have one that fits.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One option that I haven't seen mentioned yet is if he can find a used/closeout O/U by SKB. They are made in Japan, same as the Brownings have been for a while, and are very sturdy and reliable. Since the name is not as recognized over here, the price tends to be lower than Browning, Beretta, etc., and a little higher than the brands you are being told to avoid. (as low as $750-900 used, almost Browning prices NIB)

I have been very satisfied with the two I was fortunate to find at a good price. One other source until recently was CDNN's Weatherby o/u closeout (the Orions were from Italy, but the earlier models were rebadged SKBs). You may be able to find one floating around from there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom