• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Leo
    If you were approached by someone who is hostile would you put your hand on your gun ready to draw, or wait until an action is made?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    They'd have to be brandishing a weapon before I'd draw. I've been cussed at, stared at...felt nervous and very glad to have my Ruger LC9 in my pocket but never actually presented it.

Koven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Leo
    I don't mean draw, just having your hand near or on ready to draw. Unless that's considered brandishing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't mean draw, just having your hand near or on ready to draw. Unless that's considered brandishing.

"Hostile," like how? Place your hand on your gun, depending on the situation, seems like a pretty aggressive act for someone who hasn't communicated intent at physical harm, other than being hostile.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There is no brandishing law in Indiana, there is, I believe, however a pointing statute.

Situational awareness is your friend. Thugs are looking for the unaware,

Keep your head on a swivel and present yourself as one who should not be messed with.

Your deportment wili, under normal circumstances, keep you safe.

In bad neighborhoods... what the heck are you doing there?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having confronted trespassers that split up with one moving around my flank I backed up and asked them politely to stand closer, message understood, no guns drawn.

Koven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Leo
    "Hostile," like how? Place your hand on your gun, depending on the situation, seems like a pretty aggressive act for someone who hasn't communicated intent at physical harm, other than being hostile.

Hostile in the way of someone saying they are going to harm you.

I would try to walk away, but what if they kept getting in your way?

When I feel threatened I retreat.

It seems like the best option in most situations. Backing down from all confrontations is what I try to do so it doesn't turn into something worse.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've read statistics say that in many self defense gun uses that happen every year, a bullet is never fired. Pointing a loaded firearm at someone is a felonly unless you can articulate you were in fear of your life. Putting them on notice by putting your hand on your gun, seems to be what might be required if they won't leave you alone but don't draw it unless you have no choice.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I guess I have been very lucky.
    Several different times when in such a situation like that I have bluffed my way through it.
    Like when a fellow threatened to kick my f***ing azz, I calmly opened my coat and put my hand on my hip and he says, what the f*** do you think your gonna do?
    And I said it depends entirely on you, at which time he cussed me out, turned, and got in his car and left.
    Good thing cause I was empty handed.
    Next time it might not work but now I am carrying so it won't matter.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, "it depends". What is the "hostility" being demonstrated? Are there no other choices besides drawing your handgun? Because if you grab it, you are preparing to deploy it and if the "hostility" does not cease, you are going to use it. If I grab my holstered pistol when I'm off-duty, crap is going sideways and there is no ambiguity. However, I am more likely to need my "hand to hand" tactics to address "hostility".

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was was younger, my father told me that if I as much as tried to pull a weapon in a fight, and lost control of that weapon, the other guy was going to stick it up my ass. Since my glock 19 has Trijicon HD sights on it, I am very leery to even put my hand on my pistol if I am not intending to draw it. (Triji HD's have super sharp edges on the rear sight).

That said, I often pocket carry an LCPO as a BUG and on a few occasions I have casually stuck my hand in the pocket and on the grip of the pistol. That action is not nearly as likely to escalate the situation as clearing my cover and gripping my Glock, and the sights on the LCP are very blended and the LCP has no sharp corners on it anywhere.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you ever draw and the situation is resolved as a result, immediately call the Police and report what happened. You are better off if it is you reporting it than the person that caused you to draw reporting it. Think about that.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm 51 and have never been in a situation where I felt like I needed to draw, or even put my hand on my weapon. But, I'm pretty much in bed by 10ish most nights and don't tend to go places that attract trouble. That said, I have come upon a man and woman screaming at each other in a grocery store parking lot - did nothing but watch, situation fizzled itself out.

My boring life suits me.

Now, if I ever feel like I need to put my hand on my gun, I most certainly will.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm 51 and have never been in a situation where I felt like I needed to draw, or even put my hand on my weapon. But, I'm pretty much in bed by 10ish most nights and don't tend to go places that attract trouble. That said, I have come upon a man and woman screaming at each other in a grocery store parking lot - did nothing but watch, situation fizzled itself out.

My boring life suits me.

Now, if I ever feel like I need to put my hand on my gun, I most certainly will.

That's exactly how I want my life to go. Never want to even get close to using my sidearm.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I agree with others along the lines that every threat is unique, therefore impossible to say what one would do. My first thought is do my best to remove myself from the situation. That said, there's no problem with hovering over the brake as you roll through an intersection, thus shortening your foot to pedal reactionary gap just in case.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IMO drawing and presenting means the deadly force threshold has been crossed. Exposing your gun and putting your hand on it means you have only one card left to play. I don't want to back myself into that corner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every situation is different. There are no set rules that people will follow when confronting or being confronted.

Being able to read the situation is a plus. Observing. Is there 1 person in front of you or does he have help flanking you.
    Is he/she sweating bullets and irrational.
    Is it a road rage thing.
    Is it a questionable individual invading your safe space asking for a smoke/directions/hand out.
    Are you alone. With family.

Every situation is unique.

Top Bottom