• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    First of all, let me say that it does not bother me a bit to see someone OCing. It's just not for me. I have CC'd for nearly 20 years with my LTCH, and am the type that will not let anyone know that I am CCing except for my closest friends.

I had to laugh internally tonight as some passengers in the bus I was driving brought up the subject of guns. Some are for, and some are against, and the subject comes up with this group about once a year during our weekly outings. While I stated my pro 2A position on the matter and contributed to the conversation, I never mentioned that I was carrying at the time. You can call me a chicken if you want, but I did not want to alarm others in the group that I was armed. They are my good friends regardless of what their position on 2A might be. I simply take the concealed part of CC to heart.

Tonight the subject came up twice with the group I was leading, as well as the leader of another group. Again, I was happy to take my part in the conversation and express my pro 2A views, but I never disclosed the fact that I was armed. I am satisfied with the idea that they don't need to know and will not find out unless I actually have to use my firearm to defend myself or one of them.

Sometimes I feel like CC actually stands for Closet Carrier!

I would like to hear from anyone else who CC's regularly, but never let's anyone know. Is there anyone else out there like me?

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    What are you ashamed of? You openly expressed your 2A advocacy verbally, but you are ashamed to tell others you actually back it up physically?

Open carry, then you won't have that problem.

"...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, I believe that there are many others like you, including myself.

It's difficult to articulate the entire motivation in a paragraph or two on this forum. But in addition to what you have said, I'm associated with some who are fearful of guns, and blatantly forcing an Open Carry situation on them could seriously unnerve them. And if that were to happen, instead of having an open discussion about 2A or anything else, they would be focused on the wrong things and not hearing anything I had to say.

For me, I've had much better luck CCing and having interesting discussion with various types of people on the subject. A couple of times, after several discussions, I will quietly tell the person that I'm carrying now, and was carrying for our last 3 discussions on the same topic. That has seemed to work very effectively for me, in helping people to change their mindset on the topic. But that fits me and my personality, and also the broad range of folks that I socialize with today.

I've even been successful at encouraging another LTCH friend to start carrying using a similar method. He and I were in a polite discussion with a third friend on this topic, and well after the discussion ended and we regrouped, I told him I was carrying during that discussion. Apparently it got him thinking that it's possible to carry, and beneficial to carry more often than not. I always liked the analogy that I don't put the spare tire in the car on the days I'm expecting to get a flat tire, I keep the spare there all the time so I'm ready at anytime for a flat tire.

Carry on, in any way that fits you and your lifestyle!

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Nothing 'Closet' about it. I carry for my discretion in defense of those I choose to protect. Also nothing against open carry, nor do I care about the psychological effects it may have on the people around. But I chose to CC because it suits my needs and purposes. People that know me KNOW, people that don't know me don't need to KNOW! In the wrong situation the sheep will toss a OC under the bus faster, they will either rat them out to the bad guy or expect the OC to protect them. Either way thats bad. I also never feel that I have to tell anyone everything about a subject we are discussing, I expect them to bring their brain and discerning abilities or walk away still in the dark about somethings.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    There is no shame in CC and not letting the people around you know. I simply choose not to OC. I also feel it is not productive to feed anyone's real fear of guns. There is also no shame in OC, or not carrying at all. There is shame in not respecting someone's choice.

I am not ashamed to tell anybody and wouldn't lie about it if someone asked a direct question. I just don't feel the need to add "BTW I am carrying" to every conversation about guns. I also find it convenient to be able to walk into a mall or any place that does not "allow" guns and think what they do not know will not concern them.

I do like the quote from Theodore Roosevelt's foreign policy: "speak softly, and carry a big stick."

What are you ashamed of? You openly expressed your 2A advocacy verbally, but you are ashamed to tell others you actually back it up physically?

"...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

:dunno:

He wasn't telling anyone else how they should carry or denigrating anyone's choice.

Tangowood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Boone County
    No Shame!!!!

OP - I think there are more of us out there just like you that choose to CC out of common courtesy to others. To many people in the world have got the attitude it is all about ME all the time. By CC'ing i get the security and comfort that i want while not shoving it in the face of someone that is not comfortable with weapons. I am very vocal about 2A and have got into some great debates with people about it and i have no "Shame" as Griffen tried to imply above that i was not showing what was nicely tucked in my waistband.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    OP - I think there are more of us out there just like you that choose to CC out of common courtesy to others. To many people in the world have got the attitude it is all about ME all the time. By CC'ing i get the security and comfort that i want while not shoving it in the face of someone that is not comfortable with weapons. I am very vocal about 2A and have got into some great debates with people about it and i have no "Shame" as Griffen tried to imply above that i was not showing what was nicely tucked in my waistband.
    Did you really want this to be another oc vs cc thread. :poop:storm in bound

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    See and I think that there are too many people worried about being PC. How can you be true to others, if you can't be true to yourself? Should you respect others? Absolutely. Should you let others opinions about what you are doing affect what you are doing? Absolutely not. Do what you feel is right, not what you feel others might feel is right.:twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I prefer to cc for the simple reason that I prefer it. I just feel more comfortable.

Yeah, and you dont hear us CC guys complaining about "company x is anti gun and the manager came over and asked me to leave because I was carrying."

Am I at a tactical disadvantage according to the OCers? Possibly. But thats my choice, and I'm already better off than NOT carrying at all. If they want to be tactically superior and seen as a hard target more power to them. (as they are asked to leave while I continue to enjoy my burger in peace two booths over :))

I was going to start my own thread this weekend, but I'll jump in now...

Over the past 2 weeks I did an experiment. I OC'd and paid careful attention to those around me when I did so. I made sure I was only OCing when I was well dressed to the point I could have been mistaken for an off duty LEO if it wasnt for the lack of a badge. (high and tight, clean shaven, wearing khakis and a polo, full size Glock in a Blackhawk on my hip, making sure I was pleasant, smiling, and engaging.)

While I',m pretty SA, I was exceptionally SA to those I was directly interacting with. Almost EACH AND EVERY TIME I was OCing I noticed a distinct change the instant they realized I was armed. The general reaction/vibe was that they felt uncomfortable around a MWAG regardless of how friendly, professional, or unthreatening he was.

I only had two (of 10) people NOT act that way. One complimented me on my weapon choice, the other was the stereotypical rude "I dont wanna be here" cashier that not only didnt notice my gun, she also didnt bother to look up and make eye contact. I'm pretty sure I could have been naked and she wouldnt have cared. :laugh:

• Is it my problem that they are uncomfortable with someone exercising their 2A rights? No.
    • Do I want to be "offensive" (even though its my right)? No.
    • Do I HAVE to not want to be "offensive"? No.
    • While its admirable to do so, will a relative handful of us OCing sway public opinion and make a difference? No.
    • Will we create a positive influence for a select few that are already sympathetic to our cause? SURE!

My takeaway:
    If you want to OC, thats your thing, go for it. Personally, I'll choose the balance between being a protected individual (at a slight disadvantage) and polite citizen. Go ahead, flame me for being a "weak advocate" to the 2A. I dont care.

Top Bottom