• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I'm deciding on a new CC holster for my Walther PPS, and I'm torn between these two holsters. I already have a plain leather IWB holster that works well, but adds a lot of unnecessary thickness. I like what I hear about the Phantom, especially the option to go IWB and OWB with different configurations. I also like the idea of a bellyband to hold all my gear, but I'm sure they aren't nearly as widespread as IWB for a reason.

The only downside to the Phantom is the huge wait time and steep price, when you consider I have to spend $20ish on accessories to even have an IWB.

The bellybands I've researched are the DeSantis Belly Band, Galco Underwraps, and the Specgear Truss. I have no need for cuff pouches, but I do like the idea of pouches for several extra mags, my light, and whatever else I feel like carrying. I am a fairly small individual, so I think a belly band would be a better fit for me than any IWB holster. I would be wearing it primarily around my waist, most likely.

Any experience and suggestions are much appreciated.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think the comparison is pretty apples-to-oranges. They are two very different holsters that do two very different things for two very different "missions".

So get both and report back. :D

In all seriousness, the Raven will be the most versatile choice.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Evan is right on the money here. You really can't compare the two. A bellyband is fine if all you plan on doing is carrying the gun. If you actually plan on drawing and reholstering, the dedicated holster would be a much better choice. As to price, I just checked the Raven website and their prices don't seem so bad for a quality product.

BTW, I have absolutely no financial interest in promoting Raven products.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    So get both and report back. :D

I thought if you wore a bellyband down around your waist you could draw like an IWB holster, but also have the ability to wear around your chest when necessary. I think you're right, though -- I just need to shell out some of the tax return and get both. I'll have a few months of waiting for the Phantom to test the bellyband fully.

I shall report back once I have both.

P.S. -- I just realized that my title is misleading, sorry. :n00b:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    depending on where you want to carry (ie strong side, appendix, behind the hip) you might want to do some research on the Raven holsters before you order.
    They suggest the ACR (appendix carry rig) for Appendix carry, the MD cut for on or just in front of the hip, and the standard cut for just behind the hip.
    I only have experience with the MD cut on a light compatible holster and I like it a lot, but if you think you might want appendix carry, Tom, one of the top guys at Raven, carries the ACR every day. I have heard him say that up and down and in and out of a car all day is no big deal with it.

Might be something to look into.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    depending on where you want to carry (ie strong side, appendix, behind the hip) you might want to do some research on the Raven holsters before you order.
    They suggest the ACR (appendix carry rig) for Appendix carry, the MD cut for on or just in front of the hip, and the standard cut for just behind the hip.
    I only have experience with the MD cut on a light compatible holster and I like it a lot, but if you think you might want appendix carry, Tom, one of the top guys at Raven, carries the ACR every day. I have heard him say that up and down and in and out of a car all day is no big deal with it.

Might be something to look into.

I saw they had other rigs, but didn't look as far into them as I probably should have. My small size kind of limits me to the 4:00-5:00 positions with the IWB I currently have. When I first started experimenting I was impressed with how concealable the appendix carry position was, but my holster just isn't meant for that position.

I know I'll use the Phantom, so I'll probably stick with that (for now). When I get my belly band I'll experiment more with appendix carry, and if I like it enough I'll think about the ACR.

Thanks for the info.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I LOVE my Phantom. Well worth the money an wait.

Didn't Raven come to a previous 1500 and make holsters on the spot for people at some point last year?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    All day bellyband wear makes it laborious to breath for me. Initially it is extremely comfortable. After a few hours the band kinda folds or rolls works up around my sternum. I'll only wear a bellyband for a short time (couple of hours at most).

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    All day bellyband wear makes it laborious to breath for me. Initially it is extremely comfortable. After a few hours the band kinda folds or rolls works up around my sternum. I'll only wear a bellyband for a short time (couple of hours at most).

Does that happen when you wear it over an undershirt? I have read many recommendations to use undershirts due to the velcro, but I imagine it would help keep it from riding up as well.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I think for a general everyday carry go with the Raven..!! If you need to be a little more concealed the bellyband ... The last two times I had Raven make me a holster at the Indy 1500 the wait was 1-3 hours.. Raven = Great Gear, Great Guys..!!

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I think for a general everyday carry go with the Raven..!! If you need to be a little more concealed the bellyband ... The last two times I had Raven make me a holster at the Indy 1500 the wait was 1-3 hours.. Raven = Great Gear, Great Guys..!!

1-3 hours sure beats several months lead time. I might just wait until I can get someone to go to the Indy 1500 with me before getting the Phantom. I like the idea of having them make it in front of me there as well. It's too bad they don't come to the Fort Wayne gun & knife show, I was there earlier today to see what kind of deals I could get on .22 autos.

I get my belly band on Monday, and I can't wait to see how it works. There might be a belly band review thread coming up.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    If you go to the Indy 1500 , this month 18,19,20, get there early and go directly to the Raven booth. ( ( bring your pistol ) Then tell them what you want , walk the show and it will be done..!!! Best bet is to get there Friday ..!!!

Top Bottom